Anyone else getting hit by the credit card fraudsters more lately?

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
My wife is, three different credit cards in the last two months. One of them was a string of charges for some ride service similar to Uber, in the UK. As usual, the credit card companies void the charges. I'm guessing that with the global economy getting shaky, scammers are working overtime.

My wife is, three different credit cards in the last two months. One of them was a string of charges for some ride service similar to Uber, in the UK. As usual, the credit card companies void the charges. I'm guessing that with the global economy getting shaky, scammers are working overtime.
I've gotten two unrelated phishing emails this week telling me my paypal account has been debited $1237 for a Bitcoin purchase. Dumb bastards don't realize, I have no paypal account. I forwarded the emails to paypal's fraud division.

When have they never worked overtime?

Until last month, I've not been bothered by ANY kind of fraudster or sack of shit scammer.

All of a sudden last month, I don't know how they got my info, but I've had over 50 texts on my phone wanting me to give them my info, cause they have a "high paying job" for me.

I've also been getting fake texts about "you've won"!!! And some lame claim to me winning a contest I never entered.

I've also been getting emails on one of my email accounts, about "you're computer is no longer protected by McAfee".

LMFAO, I've NEVER used a McAfee product in my life!!! I've always had Norton, and never had a problem with them.

I've turned many of these fakes and frauds into the FTC and the FBI, as well as post their information on complaint sites and call them out as frauds and scammers on their google reviews.

I get text messages from unknown numbers claiming that there are unusual charges on my bank account.
No such thing happening.

Can't believe people fall for that crap, but they do.

Once got an automated voice message that the IRS was suing me and I should call the number provided. It was a very stern message and I promptly blocked the number from my phone.

I get text messages from unknown numbers claiming that there are unusual charges on my bank account.
No such thing happening.

Can't believe people fall for that crap, but they do.

Once got an automated voice message that the IRS was suing me and I should call the number provided. It was a very stern message and I promptly blocked the number from my phone.

I live in a small complex, and it's mostly elderly people........my age and older.
I was talking to the manager of my apartments yesterday. She said one of the women that live here got scammed out of $2000.00 recenlty cause she got a phone call that told her she was going to have her power turned off and not get it back again, if she didn't pay the money. So she went out and bought a gift card for that amount and gave them the card information.

I have a friend whose husband is bipolar and believes all this scam shit. She's caught him several times going off to the store to buy a gift card or money order and send to these people. She has to watch him like Biden watching toddlers.

Everything I have gives me an alert for anything over one cent.

I have fraud alert on my bank account. I get a text that a purchase is being attempted if it's out of my normal shopping perameters. I even called them in July to make sure it's still active, since the scammers got my info somehow.

I just got hit with a fraudulent charge on my debit card. My bank called me and asked if I made the purchase. I told them I didn’t, so they canceled the card and sent me a new one.

If you're not checking your credit card accounts online daily then you deserve to be screwed over.

Be warned.........

The worse this so-called "inflation" gets, the worse these scammers are going to get as well.
The more that people panic and lose their jobs and homes, the more apt they are to beleive these scammers.

It's better to be safe, than to lose what little you have left.

Don't believe anybody. You need to check on any text, email, or call you get from any company. Hang up, call that company directly....and if it was a scam, report the information to them.

I live in a small complex, and it's mostly elderly people........my age and older.
I was talking to the manager of my apartments yesterday. She said one of the women that live here got scammed out of $2000.00 recenlty cause she got a phone call that told her she was going to have her power turned off and not get it back again, if she didn't pay the money. So she went out and bought a gift card for that amount and gave them the card information.

I have a friend whose husband is bipolar and believes all this scam shit. She's caught him several times going off to the store to buy a gift card or money order and send to these people. She has to watch him like Biden watching toddlers.

My wife almost got scammed by some Nigerian 17 years ago, before we met. He had arranged to send her a bunch of USPS money orders that she was to cash, send most of the cash to some address in Nigeria, and keep a portion of it. He actually sent the stack of money order, and she took them to the County Judge, who was a friend of hers.

They determined that they were fake, and told her to throw them out. She still had them after we got married, and I threw them in the burn barrel. They looked pretty real for being fakes.

Never been hit by one. Do not use them to buy things on line. I buy the prepaid ones to buy on line. There are so many key log programs out there your phone and computers are extremely vulnerable to. Don't buy gas at pump with them in big cities either. Those are the most common ways they get your info.

I got sick of it. I just ordered a credit freeze on all new accounts.

Forum List

Back