CDZ Are You For a National Registry of Gun Owners?

Where do criminals get their guns....

Checking the Logic of Background Checks

Three sources accounted for almost nine out of 10 crime guns: "friends or family" (40 percent), "the street" (38 percent), and theft (10 percent). It is hard to see how any notional background check requirement, even one applying to all private transfers, can reasonably be expected to have a significant impact on these sources. As usual with gun control, the attempt to enforce such a requirement would impose costs and uncertain legal risks on law-abiding gun owners while leaving criminals free to go about their business.
and yet you oppose a registry even though it would eliminate 2 of 3 avenues

Exactly which two are you referring to and how would a registry eliminate anything. Do you understand that just because something is made illegal doesn't mean it won't happen.
Restricting the transfer of firearms doesn't remove the firing pin.

Since none of this would have prevented any of the recent mass killings, what other purpose is being served?

Well, Jethro, you see this is the thing....Your uncle over at the gun lobby says that if a measure won't prevent mass shootin's, well, it's pointless. And I believe him. You see, those individual shootin's and killin's don't matter. If we can't stop mass shootin's, there's no point in doin' anything. Now you run along and go to school, and remember that no matter what those "librels" suggest, even if they come up with an idea to stop some, many, most, any or all individual shootin's, if it don't stop mass shootin's, you ain't havin' it. You hear now.

I don't know if anyone does or does not believe that could happen. I do know that saying/thinking X should/should not be done because Y could happen is essentially the "just in case" line of argument, and it is fallacious.

Agree. I call it Speculation Fallacy, more formally known as Slippery Slope.

That's exactly Obama's argument with his "gun control measures". They think these measures will work just in case someone with bad intentions is trying to get one.

Say what, Willis?

I don't know if anyone does or does not believe that could happen. I do know that saying/thinking X should/should not be done because Y could happen is essentially the "just in case" line of argument, and it is fallacious.

That's exactly Obama's argument with his "gun control measures". They think these measures will work just in case someone with bad intentions is trying to get one.

Say what, Willis?

Never mind. Ya can't argue with stupid.

You are wrong....registered guns do nothing to solve crimes......

Canada Tried Registering Long Guns -- And Gave Up

15 million guns.....1 billion dollars...and it didn't work....

The law passed and starting in 1998 Canadians were required to have a license to own firearms and register their weapons with the government.

According to Canadian researcher (and gun enthusiast) Gary Mauser, the Canada Firearms Center quickly rose to 600 employees and the cost of the effort climbed past $600 million. In 2002 Canada’s auditor general released a report saying initial cost estimates of $2 million (Canadian) had increased to $1 billion as the government tried to register the estimated 15 million guns owned by Canada’s 34 million residents.

The registry was plagued with complications like duplicate serial numbers and millions of incomplete records, Mauser reports. One person managed to register a soldering gun, demonstrating the lack of precise standards. And overshadowing the effort was the suspicion of misplaced effort: Pistols were used in 66% of gun homicides in 2011, yet they represent about 6% of the guns in Canada. Legal long guns were used in 11% of killings that year, according to Statistics Canada, while illegal weapons like sawed-off shotguns and machine guns, which by definition cannot be registered, were used in another 12%.

So the government was spending the bulk of its money — about $17 million of the Firearms Center’s $82 million annual budget — trying to register long guns when the statistics showed they weren’t the problem.

There was also the question of
how registering guns was supposed to reduce crime and suicide in the first place. From 1997 to 2005, only 13% of the guns used in homicides were registered. Police studies in Canada estimated that 2-16% of guns used in crimes were stolen from legal owners and thus potentially in the registry. The bulk of the guns, Canadian officials concluded, were unregistered weapons imported illegally from the U.S. by criminal gangs.

Finally in 2011, conservatives led by
Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper voted to abolish the long-gun registry and destroy all its records. Liberals argued the law had contributed to the decline in gun homicides since it was passed. But Mauser notes that gun homicides have actually been rising in recent years, from 151 in 1999 to 173 in 2009, as violent criminal gangs use guns in their drug turf wars and other disputes. As in the U.S., most gun homicides in Canada are committed by young males, many of them with criminal records. In the majority of homicides involving young males, the victim and the killer are know each other.

Are you as stupid as the folks who set up that Canadian system or Daniel Fisher, or do you think I am?

Red:
Well, it's no surprise that registry did nothing to help matters.

Pink:
Who other than Daniel Fisher and other stupid people (liberal or otherwise) thinks/thought "registering guns [is] supposed to reduce crime and suicide?" I presume from the opening sentence of your quoted post that you realize I don't think that. Did you cite Mr. Fisher's article in the hope that I'd take up the charge of defending the stupid premise he posed?

Say what, Willis?

Never mind. Ya can't argue with stupid.

TY for telling me. Now I understand that I should ignore your further remarks.

Where do criminals get their guns....

Checking the Logic of Background Checks

Three sources accounted for almost nine out of 10 crime guns: "friends or family" (40 percent), "the street" (38 percent), and theft (10 percent). It is hard to see how any notional background check requirement, even one applying to all private transfers, can reasonably be expected to have a significant impact on these sources. As usual with gun control, the attempt to enforce such a requirement would impose costs and uncertain legal risks on law-abiding gun owners while leaving criminals free to go about their business.
and yet you oppose a registry even though it would eliminate 2 of 3 avenues

Registration doesn't close off any avenues to criminals.........explain how........a lost or stolen gun is registered to the owner, not the criminal....they can murder as much as they want...and if the police have the gun they still don't know who used it to commit the crime...just who owned it legally last......."and stolen and lost guns pass through the hands of numerous criminals. So again...how does that do anything you claim it does......?

and right now...cops catch criminals selling illegal guns using regular police techniques...called snitches and informants and under cover stings.....and you don't need to register guns to do any of them......

the absolute only reason to register guns as the British, Germans, Australians found out...is to ban them as soon as the anti gunners get enough politicians to do it....

Registering guns is just so you can later ban them when you get the political will...

No, it isn't. It's about collecting information so that one can use that information to subsequently take action against people who betray the trust placed in them when they chose to exercise their right to own a firearm.

And no, owners of black market guns are not going to register their guns. But by having stricter rules that allow for the easy tracking and verifying the flow of any given gun from lawful seller/owner to lawful owner/sell to, eventually, an unlawful owner tells us who is responsible for failing to exercise adequate control over their weapon.

The problem is not that lawful users obtain guns; it's that unlawful users do. The only way to find out what ostensibly lawful consumers are/have lapsed in their duty to make sure nobody "untoward" gets hold of their gun, is to require folks to document/attest to how and when they came by their gun and how and when they yielded/lost possession of it.

For example, if you buy a couple guns and register both of them, great. Enjoy your weapons. If one of them gets stolen and you don't report the theft, there comes about the first "building block" in a plausible argument that you (1) were negligent in exercising due care over securing your weapon, (2) conspired to allow your gun to be stolen. Now one theft is not really indicative of either, so the presumption of innocence still accrues to you. In time, you replace you stolen weapon and buy several others and register them. If they don't keep getting stolen, there's little cause to think you are routinely negligent or willfully part of a supply chain for getting legal guns into the hands of illegal users.

Registering guns is just so you can later ban them when you get the political will...

No, it isn't. It's about collecting information so that one can use that information to subsequently take action against people who betray the trust placed in them when they chose to exercise their right to own a firearm.

And no, owners of black market guns are not going to register their guns. But by having stricter rules that allow for the easy tracking and verifying the flow of any given gun from lawful seller/owner to lawful owner/sell to, eventually, an unlawful owner tells us who is responsible for failing to exercise adequate control over their weapon.

The problem is not that lawful users obtain guns; it's that unlawful users do. The only way to find out what ostensibly lawful consumers are/have lapsed in their duty to make sure nobody "untoward" gets hold of their gun, is to require folks to document/attest to how and when they came by their gun and how and when they yielded/lost possession of it.

For example, if you buy a couple guns and register both of them, great. Enjoy your weapons. If one of them gets stolen and you don't report the theft, there comes about the first "building block" in a plausible argument that you (1) were negligent in exercising due care over securing your weapon, (2) conspired to allow your gun to be stolen. Now one theft is not really indicative of either, so the presumption of innocence still accrues to you. In time, you replace you stolen weapon and buy several others and register them. If they don't keep getting stolen, there's little cause to think you are routinely negligent or willfully part of a supply chain for getting legal guns into the hands of illegal users.

You are a silly person......registration is not needed to do anything you just suggested and in fact is not being used to stop criminals now........the gun traffickers that have been captured, that I have posted about....have all been captured by police using snitches and undercover buys..........not one was done by following a registered gun.

and losing a gun or having a gun stolen does not make you a criminal.....And if they catch multiple criminals who all say yeah...that guy gave me the gun....there was no need to register guns to find that out...is there.....and that is how all other crimes are solved...actual police work.....

the absolute only reason to register guns is to eventually ban them....as happened in Britain, Germany, Australia, California, New York......

.there is a history that shows what registration allows......and it always ends in confiscation.......

You are a silly person......registration is not needed to do anything you just suggested and in fact is not being used to stop criminals now........the gun traffickers that have been captured, that I have posted about....have all been captured by police using snitches and undercover buys..........not one was done by following a registered gun.

and losing a gun or having a gun stolen does not make you a criminal.....And if they catch multiple criminals who all say yeah...that guy gave me the gun....there was no need to register guns to find that out...is there.....and that is how all other crimes are solved...actual police work.....

the absolute only reason to register guns is to eventually ban them....as happened in Britain, Germany, Australia, California, New York......

.there is a history that shows what registration allows......and it always ends in confiscation

I'm not silly at all. A registry isn't ever going to stop criminals. All it's going to go is give law enforcement a place to look to identify where the process of maintaining security over one's firearm ownership/possession breaks down.

Pink:
Maybe that's because there's no efficient and effective way to "mine" the data about gun ownership to determine whether/if there are any patterns associated with one or a group of "somehow related" individuals' losing possession of guns they lawfully obtained.

Red:
Yes, that's true if one is limited to taking a reactive approach to identifying the nature of an illegal weapons trade supply chain. If one wants to take a proactive approach to finding out where to look before once legal weapons make their way to illegal users and then get used to commit a crime or kill another person, one must have a means for identifying logical places to look. A registry provides a useful tool for enabling a proactive approach to the problem.

Blue:
Slippery Slope.

What has happened in other places is no indication of what will happen in the U.S. Moreover, those places don't have our 2nd Amendment so it is no surprise that the outcome you identified was a possible outcome in those place.

Nobody wants to take away one's guns. Officials and everyone else has a vested interest in making sure where they are, in whose possession they are.

Last edited:
On the news last night there was a man who said that he has never sold a gun without a back round check ever at a gun show...

.Really what is the problem with keeping track of guns sold, people still get their guns unless if they are on the list?

Because it is the first step needed to ban guns….we have seen this in Britain and Australia, and in various states like New York and California…they just want to know who has what guns…until they get the power to ban the guns they want banned….then they send out letters telling the owners they have a certain period of time to get rid of their legal, constitutionally protected property….

Speculation fallacy. Again. Which is already the basis of the OP anyway.

Cars have been registered for over a century, and y'all just looooooooove to compare them to firearms.

Clearly they're going to ban cars any day now.

Guns are not cars….guns keep the powerful in check. That is why dictators never allow their people to have guns.

That's funny, since in about 4300 other threads car fatalities are constantly coming up as a false comparison.

Now suddenly --- not so convenient.

The anti gun extremists started comparing guns to cars with that stupid meme about gun deaths and car deaths….you guys started it and now are complaining when it is used to show how dumb your ideas are.

Ummmmm no Sparky that was you comic book dwellers. Want me to quote some posts?

On the news last night there was a man who said that he has never sold a gun without a back round check ever at a gun show...

.Really what is the problem with keeping track of guns sold, people still get their guns unless if they are on the list?

Because registration leads to confiscation. There is no other reason for registration.

Who confiscated 250 million cars then? I've still got mine.

Because it is the first step needed to ban guns….we have seen this in Britain and Australia, and in various states like New York and California

So guns have been banned in New York and California, have they?

Try to buy an AR-15 in New York….or in California…..or a gun with a 15 round magazine…….one pistol I have……can't be sold in California……..

And those are all the guns in existence, are they? I never knew it was so simple.

I'd sooner call that Post Hoc fallacy. Or metaphorically, slamming the barn door after the horse has already left.

Because registration leads to confiscation. There is no other reason for registration.
except of course to get and keep guns out of the black market and the hands of criminals

No, it won;t keep all guns out of the hands of criminals, but it will help keep many guns out of the hands of criminals. That's all it is intended to do.
i don't think i said 'all'

but there can be no doubt that a national gun registry would reduce the number of firearms available to criminals.

How would it reduce the number of guns available to criminals?

Has background checks and waiting periods reduced the availability for criminals to get guns?

This is a couple of years old (2013), but More than a million people failed background checks to buy guns during the past 14 years because of criminal records, drug use or mental health issues, according to FBI figures.
Criminal record top reason for U.S. gun-check rejection - CNN.com

Of those million people how many acquired a gun by other means?

Since background checks became law, has it reduced gun crime or the number of murders by guns?

The second amendment supports a gun registry to maintain a "Well regulated militia"

This is the REAL ISSUE behind Obama's federal background check scheme. In order to screen out people on no-fly lists, etc. ALL gun purchasers will have to be reported to the FBI, who will have to maintain a list of such purchases.

Does anyone seriously believe that such a list could not be used for nefarious political purposes? Have you forgotten Clinton's accessing confidential FBI files of political opponents or Obama's manipulation of IRS nonprofit applications?

Since none of this would have prevented any of the recent mass killings, what other purpose is being served?
Absolutely not

Because it is the first step needed to ban guns….we have seen this in Britain and Australia, and in various states like New York and California…they just want to know who has what guns…until they get the power to ban the guns they want banned….then they send out letters telling the owners they have a certain period of time to get rid of their legal, constitutionally protected property….

Speculation fallacy. Again. Which is already the basis of the OP anyway.

Cars have been registered for over a century, and y'all just looooooooove to compare them to firearms.

Clearly they're going to ban cars any day now.

Cars are not guaranteed to you in the BOR. You do not have the right to own a car. Driving is a privilege.

Y'all just love to compare them to firearms.

A car is nothing but private property so you do have the right to own one and you have the right to operate it on your own property it's the driving on public roads that is not a right

The second amendment supports a gun registry to maintain a "Well regulated militia"
The second amendment says nothing about maintaining a militia only that a militia is necessary

It's up to the people to form and maintain a militia if the need arises not the government

Forum List

Back