Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Sunflowers are so... exquisite, imho:

download.aspx

And found about 15 different pictures of people who did this "poppies" one:

New_Classics_Poppies.jpg

Stained%20Glass%20Poppies.JPG
New_Classics_FMN.jpg
1034-HPtop.jpg

And almost bought this book on Amazon today...

New_Classics_lg.jpg

Brenda Hennings is associated with Bearpaw Productions, Inc., I think. I'm pretty sure some of her patterns on stained glass sold in my shop.

Last edited:
In the wee hours of this morning, I ordered 3 stained glass quilt books, used:

Stained-Glass-Flower-Garde_lg.jpg

Thought this one was lovely, too:

Simple_Stained_Glass_Quilts.jpg

This one, too:

9781564773197.jpg

I love used books! They're wonderful!

Something tells me this one was ordered, too, but not certain. It's good for the future, maybe if not ordered:

61fPQfJHlWL._SX260_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_.jpg

Think I'll do something simple from each of the book if time permits, then design my own quilt. I'm really doing more pieced than other kinds of quilts these days.

Last edited:
More Stained Glass roses from the internet Bing'd!

$T2eC16Z,!yEE9s5jGKMBBQVmon1Z-w~~60_35.JPG

I really like this one. It puts me in mind of the chapel window at the old state hospital in Nashville. Well, I've looked for a pic online, but don't find one. I kinda think it was designed by a patient. (Just because they are crazy doesn't mean they are stupid.)

Sewed all morning a lot of strips to cross cut and divide into squares for the border on one of the quilts shown above as a little practice quit before working on this, unless I decide to do a trip around the stained glass world, which at this point, anything can go. :)

I'm placing them in rainbow order:

Attachments

• $$tained Glass Window1 Quilt Top.jpg
    $$tained Glass Window1 Quilt Top.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 75
  • $$tained Glass Window2 Quilt.jpg
    $$tained Glass Window2 Quilt.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 87
  • $$tained Glass Window3 Quilt Top.jpg
    $$tained Glass Window3 Quilt Top.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 89
The rest of the strips before cross-cutting:

Attachments

• $$tained Glass Window4 Quilt Top.jpg
    $$tained Glass Window4 Quilt Top.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 79
  • $$tained Glass Window5 Quilt Top.jpg
    $$tained Glass Window5 Quilt Top.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 79
  • $$tained Glass Window1 Quilt Top.jpg
    $$tained Glass Window1 Quilt Top.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 94
Beckums, those don't look all that simple.
If you've seen my album, you'll know they are reasonably simple: Children of the World ~

freedombecki-albums-freedombecki-s-album-picture4582-children-of-the-world-quilt.jpg

This was one of the Soldier quilts called Purple Heart II--one of the squares on Row 4 is actually a stained glass sample & I'm tempted to use it as the first block in colors:

80c029d8-3bec-45ec-926e-a771468df792_zps7447621a.jpg

A Music Quilt (machine embroidered) Sorry the details are so poor. It's truly one of Pfaff's Masterwork embroidery discs that made the majority of the squares:
QOValorMusic-1.jpg

Last edited:
Progrress:

Almost half way through the actual design part.
Wow!!!
Too cool, Sunshine! Congratulations on your progress!

It feels so slow, but each pattern is taking less than a week. There are 6 of the little church and tree scenes and I'm about middle way of the 3rd one. I have to admit, I'm stitching more while watching 'thu' trial. Ordinarily it would be only a couple hours a day. I was just reading the washing directions for it. LOL. Holy Moly!

Yes, washing and pressing a treasure like the one you are making, Sunshine is quite a process. I'm guessing neutral pH soap (Orvus type), pressing carefully with down side resting in the thickest Turkish towel in your repertoire, pressing up and down (not side to side), etc., etc, etc. Trust me, it's a lot easier to care for them than to make them, and be sure to make notes or type up "care for linens" and repeat the details. You could probably just place the instructions on the scanner, and put them in your Office software, print out, and place in a poly bag pinned to the back of the treasured table cloth for future generations. People forget details, such as when to use cold water to rinse, etc. It helps to have them in a poly bag, safe from grubby hands, soap suds, etc. ;)

Yes, washing and pressing a treasure like the one you are making, Sunshine is quite a process. I'm guessing neutral pH soap (Orvus type), pressing carefully with down side resting in the thickest Turkish towel in your repertoire, pressing up and down (not side to side), etc., etc, etc. Trust me, it's a lot easier to care for them than to make them, and be sure to make notes or type up "care for linens" and repeat the details. You could probably just place the instructions on the scanner, and put them in your Office software, print out, and place in a poly bag pinned to the back of the treasured table cloth for future generations. People forget details, such as when to use cold water to rinse, etc. It helps to have them in a poly bag, safe from grubby hands, soap suds, etc. ;)

Fortunately for me, I have a Singer Magic Press. Only presses down. I do plan to put the directions with it. I'm also considering getting some kind of white beaded fringe to sew on the bottom of it. That could be a mistake, though.

Fortunately for me, I have a Singer Magic Press. Only presses down. I do plan to put the directions with it. I'm also considering getting some kind of white beaded fringe to sew on the bottom of it. That could be a mistake, though.
Your work is so beautiful that tablecloth doesn't need a single other thing. Beads of plastic might be unfortunate considering that most linen takes the highest heat, and beads melt at moderate heat. Also, 99% of the fringes out there are rayon. They too melt under pressing and instantly loose their sheen among other things.

Trust me, your work will speak for itself. Just sayin'. :eusa_whistle:

A little crazy quilt to think about tonight from Craftsydotcom as thoughts come together, because the idea of using the strips already sewn is becoming an elixir... :D

full_48_9192_CrazyStainedGlassquilt_1.jpg

This quilt came from a contest in Queensland, Down Under:

7.09%20Stained%20Glass%20Window%20byAlison%20Charlton%20Third%20Prize%20Cat7%20Non%20Professional%20Commercially%20Quilte.JPG

The grout can be other than black, as this Asian Turning Twenty Quilt was quilted by Shirley Brabson shown at Quiltworks at Albuquerque Gallery online:

13ES03.jpg

This quilt inspired my work today on account of the small squares border and was shown by Fern Martin:

StainedGlass.jpg

Last edited:

Your work is so beautiful that tablecloth doesn't need a single other thing. Beads of plastic might be unfortunate considering that most linen takes the highest heat, and beads melt at moderate heat. Also, 99% of the fringes out there are rayon. They too melt under pressing and instantly loose their sheen among other things.

Trust me, your work will speak for itself. Just sayin'. :eusa_whistle:

Thanks a million, Beckums.

Well, one length row is begun. Seems nice and long for a child's quilt, but will measure to make sure. I decided to perhaps do a zigzag encasing each square in the dark gray floral print that mottles the grout. And I noticed I had not used a single light value, which is what makes the above quilt have an enchanting illumination about it. So I added a hazy pink in a fabric called "Rain," but it's not enough to have the same feel--it will just remind me to pay attention next time instead of inserting all brilliant values into the quilt. I think every quilter at times has the feeling "What am I doing?" and "What are the textures and illusory effects to be with these fabrics?" "How can I make these simple parts come together by placing this color group here or that color group there?"

We won't know till we're finished sometimes.

Well, I'm calling it a day. Stayed up too late twice in a row, and got interrupted every time I started making progress. *sigh*

Some more quilts using black to set off bright colors:

il_fullxfull.341060157.jpg

Whole+Quilt+-+Black+and+White.jpg

reader-quiltlg_ss28.jpg

Quilt+75.jpg

Thanks, Bing!

May everyone have a blessed week, free of pain, and full of happiness in the heart.

Best regards,

becki

I really like this one. It puts me in mind of the chapel window at the old state hospital in Nashville. Well, I've looked for a pic online, but don't find one. I kinda think it was designed by a patient. (Just because they are crazy doesn't mean they are stupid.)
I spent a couple of hours looking for the Old State Hospital in Nashville, also, but couldn't find anything like what you are describing. I did find some beautiful stained glass work in the Getty Collection (Nashville?) and was wondering if it's possible the glass was taken down and auctioned, dismantled to use in other works of art, presented to someone or even donated to a local museum with a pledge of careful moving and restoration in a prominent place for the public to see it. Or perhaps, somehow I saw it but didn't connect it right with your description. Nashville has a wealth of Church stained glass, and seems to be loved by many people there. Sometimes what meant everything to one generation doesn't have the same effect on another. I hope it didn't get shellacked over with putty or something in a cost-saving construction maneuver.

Last edited:

I spent a couple of hours looking for the Old State Hospital in Nashville, also, but couldn't find anything like what you are describing. I did find some beautiful stained glass work in the Getty Collection (Nashville?) and was wondering if it's possible the glass was taken down and auctioned, dismantled to use in other works of art, presented to someone or even donated to a local museum with a pledge of careful moving and restoration in a prominent place for the public to see it. Or perhaps, somehow I saw it but didn't connect it right with your description. Nashville has a wealth of Church stained glass, and seems to be loved by many people there. Sometimes what meant everything to one generation doesn't have the same effect on another. I hope it didn't get shellacked over with putty or something in a cost-saving construction maneuver.

The window is still in existence. When they moved to the new facility, they took it out of the chapel in the old place and moved it to the new. I had a coworker who committed suicide when I worked there, and I stood in front of it and gave one of the memorial speeches for him.

Forum List

Back