Beware of Performance Optimizer

XPostFacto

VIP Member
May 17, 2013
The Sticks
I have Windows 8. Last August when I tried to update Zonealarm, I was told that it couldn't be updated and that I would have to start buying the software. I then began using Windows Defender because I had heard that the Windows 8 firewall and anti-virus were superior to any of the other AV manufacturers.

In the past month or so, I have seen a lot of annoyng popup ads on archery and firearms as well as any other site I have researched. Windows Defender did find that I had some malware called Dueal4me. I tried to uninstall it, but it wouldn't uninstall. As a result, I went into the folder, Program Data in Windows 8 and deleted the app. Then I removed all indication of it in my registry. I then found something called CoupUPDate and did the same with that one as well as a third one, called PCScanner. I got to thinking that maybe not having Zonealarm wasn't a good thing. I was still running Zonealarm on my laptop and never had a problem with strange unwanted software. Well, finally, I had enough and downloaded Zonealarm this morning. It installed and immediately after a scan discovered I was infected with the Performance Optimizer malware. I noticed upon finding it in my Program Data file that it was installed on September 29, 2014, the same date that I downloaded the DLC game, Freedom Cry for Assassins Creed IV, Blackflag. Looks like I got some unwanted trash that rode piggyback on the DLC. Well Zonealarm did nothing but quarantine Performance Optimizer so it wouldn't be a problem. I tried to uninstall Performance Optimizer, but the app would not let me remove itself, so I had to go into Program Data and the registry and clean out all mention of this file.

Here is what Symantec says about Performance Optimizer and the wild claims this application makes. It is advertised as a way to speed up PC's and remove unwanted malware. This is a hoax. If you install it as a demo, it will scan your system and find all kinds of things wrong with it, all bogus, just to get you to buy their software, all the time, pushing their own brand of malware. Strange thing is I never installed it. It installed itself. Watch out folks. I know that I will never buy anymore downloads from Ubisoft.

PerformanceOptimizer Technical Details Symantec

First thing everyone should do getting a computer home with preinstalled OS is reformat the hd to get rid of all this crap and bloatware.

I built my own computer and purchased Windows 8 to install myself. The only PC that had bloatware from HP and other trash was the laptop. I had to re-image the laptop as well and dumped the HP trash. What bothers me is that Ubisoft, a major gaming platform, is either condoning this trash attaching itself to their downloads, or they just don't care. The moral of the story is don't download DLC content from Ubisoft or even Steam, though Steam has never given me a problem. The best thing is that if there is a standalone game, get it vs the DLC version.

Speaking of Windows Defender, even after I noticed I had these malware programs and removed them, Windows Defender found no problems after a full scan of my files.Yet, after installing Zonealarm, it found the malware. Windows Defender had no problem with Performance Optimizer. So much for Microsoft's best AV program.

Speaking of Windows Defender, even after I noticed I had these malware programs and removed them, Windows Defender found no problems after a full scan of my files.Yet, after installing Zonealarm, it found the malware. Windows Defender had no problem with Performance Optimizer. So much for Microsoft's best AV program.
Most AV-Programs use their own engine, which causes different search results. For example, there are Windows Defender alerts of Programs other AV-solution would not mention. Some tools might be considered adware, opencandy etc, but this tools don´t cause any harm on your computer, but are simply annoying and often aren´t even mentioned by your AV-Program. Freeware often includes opencandy, largely an integrated tool that offers tools like toolbars during installations. If you are afraid of an exe file or other file that causes an alert by your AV-Program but you want to keep it, you can check it on VirusTotal - Free Online Virus Malware and URL Scanner.
That is a bundle of all the search engines of over 50 AV-Programs. I make an example for you.
I consider this exe file harmless, but the result only applies for this specific exe file identified by its hash value. Other files with the same name migh include Malware:
ojyozls8.jpg

As for the Windows Defender you don´t need to delete it, but you can simply disable it completely in the Defender-Settings.

Last edited:
What tools do you use to secure your BROWSER? Much more important than anti-virus software and firewalls.
I have installed Adblock Plus, Ghostery and Flagfox.

Absolutely. Adblock Plus IMO - is the best Add-on made by anyone. It's main goal is to block annoying ads - but of course that has a secondary benefit of protecting your computer - if you can't see an ad - you can't click on it.
Ghostery is also great. And is a great way to see the shear number of trackers some websites use..which can be incredible.
I also use NoScript. Which can be a pain at the beginning - but well worth it.

I tell people all the time - it is more important to secure your browser than "secure" your computer.
Anti virus software is almost useless. They don't work. Period. It is like plugging a whole in a water pipe using a piece of screen.

For all the common viruses and trojans the AV-Programs are good. How good they work against rare and new malware differs by their quality in detecting suspicious behavior.

Forum List

Back