Brooklyn Tragedy

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Unbelievable tragedy Hot-plate fire kills 7 children in Brooklyn - CNN.com

" (CNN)Seven children in what neighbors described as an Orthodox Jewish family were killed early Saturday in a Brooklyn house fire that was apparently sparked by a hot plate meant to keep food warm over the Sabbath, New York's fire commissioner said.

The four boys and three girls -- siblings ranging in age from 5 to 16 -- were in upstairs bedrooms when the unattended hot plate apparently malfunctioned in the kitchen, starting a fire that swept up from the first floor shortly after midnight in Brooklyn's south-central Midwood section, New York Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said.

The fire's only survivors: The victims' 45-year-old mother, Gayle Sassoon, and her 14-year-old daughter. Both jumped from second-floor widows to escape and were being treated for burns and smoke inhalation, police said. The mother was in critical condition; the status of her daughter wasn't known."

Lots of fail there. Leaving a hotplate on unattended (don't they have a stove?), it shouldn't be located where it could ignite something else. No smoke detectors? Observant Jews aren't supposed to be using appliances on the Sabbath anyway. I do work for the head rabbi in the area and he doesn't even use heat on the Sabbath and they have three little kids.

Lots of fail there. Leaving a hotplate on unattended (don't they have a stove?), it shouldn't be located where it could ignite something else. No smoke detectors? Observant Jews aren't supposed to be using appliances on the Sabbath anyway. I do work for the head rabbi in the area and he doesn't even use heat on the Sabbath and they have three little kids.

Really wanna use 7 dead kids to make hay?

And your reason for posting this?

Make hay? You didn't see constructive criticism there?
Would you stand in front of the father or mother and say it? If not how about showing some empathy and compassion and leave the criticisms for something when no one dies.
How about you live your life your way because that's the way I'll live mine. Rather than blubbering uselessly on a message board I'll point out some errors that could save a life.

What's with the hotplate? I'm Christian but I believe in Sabbath keeping. Well I try. It is the rhythm of life. It is awesome even if you can only hit 50% to adhere.

That hotplate should not have been on. Pity. Prayers for the babies.

What's with the hotplate? I'm Christian but I believe in Sabbath keeping. Well I try. It is the rhythm of life. It is awesome even if you can only hit 50% to adhere.

That hotplate should not have been on. Pity. Prayers for the babies.
They aren't designed to be on all day and what's the point? Is God going to care about your stove's gas or electric but not a hotplate?

Here's another tip (Delta) always have an ABC fire extinguisher readily available in the kitchen area at ALL times.

Forum List

Back