California Regulators Propose Gov’t Takeover Of Oil Refineries To Stave Off Energy Crisis

Drop Dead Fred

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2020
I have just as much confidence in the California government's ability to properly run the oil refineries as I do in its ability to complete the high speed rail from Los Angeles to San Francisco in time and on budget.

California Regulators Propose Gov’t Takeover Of Oil Refineries To Stave Off Energy Crisis​

August 2, 2024

California regulators have proposed a variety of government intrusions into the petroleum industry in order to combat future energy price surges, according to a report released Thursday by the California Energy Commission (CEC).

As the Golden State continues to pursue its green agenda, the CEC expects some of California’s nine oil refineries to be shuttered due to falling demand, which would give the remaining refineries increased pricing power and raise the possibility of a surge in gas prices, the study concluded. To solve this problem, the commission proposed a variety of government interventions, including expanded regulation on private refineries, the establishment of state-owned refineries and an increase in imports.

“The State of California would purchase and own refineries in the State to manage the supply and price of gasoline,” wrote the study’s authors, with the scope of the initiative ranging from “one refinery to all refineries in the state.”

I have just as much confidence in the California government's ability to properly run the oil refineries as I do in its ability to complete the high speed rail from Los Angeles to San Francisco in time and on budget.

California Regulators Propose Gov’t Takeover Of Oil Refineries To Stave Off Energy Crisis​

August 2, 2024

California regulators have proposed a variety of government intrusions into the petroleum industry in order to combat future energy price surges, according to a report released Thursday by the California Energy Commission (CEC).

As the Golden State continues to pursue its green agenda, the CEC expects some of California’s nine oil refineries to be shuttered due to falling demand, which would give the remaining refineries increased pricing power and raise the possibility of a surge in gas prices, the study concluded. To solve this problem, the commission proposed a variety of government interventions, including expanded regulation on private refineries, the establishment of state-owned refineries and an increase in imports.

“The State of California would purchase and own refineries in the State to manage the supply and price of gasoline,” wrote the study’s authors, with the scope of the initiative ranging from “one refinery to all refineries in the state.”

California regulators have proposed a variety of government intrusions into the petroleum industry in order to combat future energy price surges

Excellent!!!
Combat future price surges by making the price surge today!!!

Well I am guessing that a gallon of gas would end up costing more than a pack of smokes if they do, but more power to them.

More government control sounds like that's the end goal.

If you starve someone long enough eventually they will agree to anything for a bit of food. Beat them long enough eventually they will do anything you say. And if the government strains people enough eventually they will agree to any control the government wants to relieve the pressure.

We need less government control and oversight, not more of it at the state of federal level. It's an unpopular opinion but I don't think America has any natural enemies or threats in the form of foreign nations. I think America's greatest threat is ourselves. In the hundreds of years America has existed every freedom, every right, ever ability we have ever lost is because our government took it from us and Americans willingly gave it up.

More rules, more laws, more taxes, more surveillance, more censorship, more loss of personal freedom and so on. A scenario comes along where they justify taking those things away in small increments and people give them away slowly but surely.

August 2, 2024

The transition won't be nice but the higher the gas price the quicker the oil company's will be downsized . They deserve not a ounce of support by the people of this country , they literally are the enemy. There are many businesses like that now.

The transition won't be nice but the higher the gas price the quicker the oil company's will be downsized . They deserve not a ounce of support by the people of this country , they literally are the enemy. There are many businesses like that now.
You really are stupid. CA govt can't do anything right that benefits all their citizens

they literally are the enemy.

I don't know about that.
I really like being able to fuel up my car in a couple of minutes.
And all the goods in the stores, delivered by truck, are very helpful.

Forum List

Back