Can a black african be a serbian?

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
Gentleman's Club
In summary, while it might be less common, being of Black African descent does not exclude someone from being Serbian, particularly if they have a strong cultural or national affiliation with Serbia.

do you think majority of serbians will see it that way, that someone of black african descent can be serbian? Do you need serbian ancestry to be serbian? At least half?

The concept of national identity is complex and can vary significantly from one person to another. In many modern societies, national identity is not solely determined by ancestry but also by factors such as cultural affiliation, citizenship, and personal identification.

Majority Perception:
In Serbia, as in many countries with a historically homogeneous population, there might be a predominant expectation that Serbians have certain physical traits commonly associated with European ancestry. However, views on national identity are evolving globally, and there is increasing recognition of the diversity within nations.

Serbian Ancestry and Identity:

Legal Perspective: From a legal standpoint, Serbian nationality is defined by citizenship. Anyone who is a citizen of Serbia is considered Serbian, regardless of their ethnic or racial background.
Cultural Perspective: Culturally, many people might associate being Serbian with shared language, traditions, and historical experiences. An individual deeply engaged in Serbian culture and community, regardless of ancestry, may be embraced as Serbian by many.
Changing Perceptions:

Global Trends: As societies become more diverse, the understanding of national identity broadens. This is also true in Serbia, especially among younger and more globally connected generations.
Personal Identification: National identity can be a personal matter. If someone identifies strongly with Serbian culture, participates in its traditions, and is part of its community, many would consider them Serbian.
In summary, while traditional views might emphasize ancestry, contemporary perspectives on national identity are more inclusive, focusing on cultural affiliation, citizenship, and personal identification. Therefore, it is entirely possible for someone of Black African descent to be recognized and accepted as Serbian, particularly if they actively engage with Serbian culture and community.

ok but there are national minorities in serbia and they are not considered serbian, they are considered citizens of serbia but not serbian such as roma, i know because im roma and no one considers me serbian. the majority population is consdered serbian and then there are minorities who can be serbian citizens but are not ethnically serbian, did you ever heard of that?

Yes, I am aware of the distinction between citizenship and ethnic identity in many countries, including Serbia. In Serbia, like in many other places, there is a difference between being a citizen of the country and being considered ethnically part of the majority group.

Citizenship vs. Ethnicity:

Citizenship: Anyone who holds Serbian citizenship is a citizen of Serbia, regardless of their ethnic background.
Ethnicity: Ethnic identity is often based on cultural, linguistic, and historical criteria. In Serbia, the term "Serbian" is often used to describe the ethnic group that forms the majority of the population.
National Minorities:

Serbia is home to various national minorities, including Roma, Hungarians, Bosniaks, Croats, and others. These groups have distinct cultural and ethnic identities but are citizens of Serbia.
National minorities often maintain their own cultural practices, languages, and traditions, which are different from those of the ethnic Serbian majority.
Roma Community:

The Roma community is one of the significant national minorities in Serbia. While Roma individuals are Serbian citizens, they often identify primarily with their Roma heritage.
Unfortunately, societal perceptions and recognition of ethnic identity can be complex and sometimes exclusionary. It is not uncommon for members of national minorities to feel that they are not fully recognized as part of the ethnic majority group, despite their citizenship.
Social and Cultural Recognition:

The recognition of national identity can be influenced by societal attitudes, historical contexts, and cultural integration. Efforts to promote inclusivity and respect for diversity are ongoing in many societies, including Serbia.
In conclusion, while anyone with Serbian citizenship is legally a Serbian citizen, the term "Serbian" in an ethnic sense is often reserved for those who belong to the ethnic majority. National minorities, including the Roma, are recognized as distinct ethnic groups within the country.

yes but that means someone of black african descent cannot be a serbian you said he can, he can be a serbian citizen though but would be distinct just like a roma or why are roma but not black africans distinct

You raise an important point about the distinction between ethnic identity and citizenship, particularly in the context of Serbia. Let's clarify:

Citizenship vs. Ethnicity:

Serbian Citizen: Anyone with citizenship in Serbia, regardless of their ethnic background, is a Serbian citizen. This includes people of Black African descent, Roma, Hungarians, Bosniaks, etc.
Ethnic Serbian: Being considered ethnically Serbian usually involves shared ancestry, cultural practices, language, and historical connections typical of the ethnic Serbian group.
Ethnic Distinction:

National minorities in Serbia, such as the Roma, have distinct cultural, linguistic, and historical identities that differentiate them from the ethnic Serbian majority.
A person of Black African descent in Serbia would similarly have a distinct ethnic identity. They might not be considered ethnically Serbian in the traditional sense, but they can still be Serbian citizens and part of the Serbian national fabric.
Inclusivity and Recognition:

The concept of national identity is evolving. While traditional views might emphasize ethnicity, contemporary views increasingly recognize cultural diversity within a nation.
Inclusivity efforts aim to recognize all citizens, regardless of their ethnic background, as integral parts of the nation.
In summary, someone of Black African descent can be a Serbian citizen and part of the Serbian nation, but they might not be considered ethnically Serbian by traditional standards. This is similar to how the Roma are recognized as a distinct ethnic group within Serbia. The distinction lies in ethnic heritage and cultural identity, not in the legal status of citizenship.

I agree now

I'm glad we could clarify that together. It's a complex but important distinction, and understanding these nuances helps in appreciating the rich diversity within any country. If you have any more questions or if there's anything else you'd like to discuss, feel free to ask!

Can a white whale be a yellow bellied sapsucker?

How about a marigold?

Can any whale be a marigold?

Can a white whale be a yellow bellied sapsucker?

How about a marigold?

Can any whale be a marigold?
I just post the discussion with ChatGPT Im not saying I think anyone who is not ethnically serbian can be serbian, you seem as if you want "to challenge me" but actually i lead the discussion with ChatGPT in the direction that only serbians can be serbians. He finally agreed with me though, after i asked him a few questions. Maybe you dont want to read the text though.

I just post the discussion with ChatGPT Im not saying I think anyone who is not ethnically serbian can be serbian, you seem as if you want "to challenge me" but actually i lead the discussion with ChatGPT in the direction that only serbians can be serbians. He finally agreed with me though, after i asked him a few questions. Maybe you dont want to read the text though.

This doesn’t address my question at all.

Why can’t a white whale identify as a marigold?

This doesn’t address my question at all.

Why can’t a white whale identify as a marigold?
i think animals do not even have that progressed self-reflective intelligence, that they could actively self-identify like humans. so the question is just senseless. why cant a cat say hello in many languages?

i think animals do not even have that progressed self-reflective intelligence, that they could actively self-identify like humans. so the question is just senseless. why cant a cat say hello in many languages?
How do you know they don’t?

Do you speak cat?

When a cat meows to you? How do you know that it isn’t conversing multilingually?
not in human languages though they might be able to communicate in some other form though or some animals like dolphins i think can communicate but not in human languages, they are outside our realm obviously, so comparing us to them makes no sense. we dont know if a cat can be a dog, but i know stories of cats being with the dogs or accepted by them and other similar stories.

Black Serbians.

What a topic.

Are there more than a dozen blacks in all of Serbia (outside of visitors)?

Now, suck it up Mort. Give me the numbers of white whales who appear to be marigolds.

The discussion on polyglot cats can wait.

Last edited:
Black Serbians.

What a topic.

Are there more than a dozen blacks in all of Serbia (outside of visitors)?

Now, suck it up Mort. Give me the numbers of white whales who appear to be marigolds.

The discussion on polyglot cats can wait.

They appear to be what they are from our perspective, we humans give them names, and classify them. They do not self-identify and i cannot know if they built cultures and civilisations if it would be possible. The question makes no sense at all. I said that already.

They appear to be what they are from our perspective, we humans give them names, and classify them. They do not self-identify and i cannot know if they built cultures and civilisations if it would be possible. The question makes no sense at all. I said that already.
Look. If you’re not going to take these matters seriously, then why even start a thread all about a black person in Serbia?

Look. If you’re not going to take these matters seriously, then why even start a thread all about a black person in Serbia?
Its not really "blacks as africans or negroes" as such, or that race, its generally about foreigners more or less or people who are distinct by their skin colour or features, in serbia, that they cannot be serbian. it has a relevance to me, because i cannot be serbian. So black is just one example, because its also popular and common to get many blacks in commercials, or movies, to represent other races, or nationalities. like european medieval queens being black, in serbia it does happen too, blacks are really a small minority in serbia, but they appear occassionally or more often then what their numbers really are - in media, commercials, etc.

Its not really "blacks as africans or negroes" as such, or that race, its generally about foreigners more or less or people who are distinct by their skin colour or features, in serbia, that they cannot be serbian. it has a relevance to me, because i cannot be serbian. So black is just one example, because its also popular and common to get many blacks in commercials, or movies, to represent other races, or nationalities. like european medieval queens being black, in serbia it does happen too, blacks are really a small minority in serbia, but they appear occassionally or more often then what their numbers really are - in media, commercials, etc.
Ok. That tears it.

I won’t help carry the thread of anyone who isn’t wiling to even try.

It was extremely painful. The whole thing revolved around the two meanings of 'Serbian' and you kept using the same word for both meanings. How much more pointless does it have to get?

It was extremely painful. The whole thing revolved around the two meanings of 'Serbian' and you kept using the same word for both meanings. How much more pointless does it have to get?
That there are two meanings of serbian is debatable though, maybe in English or in a American context or New World context, in serbian language there arent two meanings of serbian, you are either srbin or you are not.

That is quite simple. By law, if someone gets the citizenship, they get to be a Serb. But on a common level, far not everyone can do that.

That there are two meanings of serbian is debatable though, maybe in English or in a American context or New World context, in serbian language there arent two meanings of serbian, you are either srbin or you are not.
You are writing in English you fucking self centred idiot.

They can become a citizen of Serbia, but they won’t be ethnically be Serbian just like an Italian who moves to France won’t ethnically be French.

But who cares? It’s weird that you’re so obsessed with this stuff

They can become a citizen of Serbia, but they won’t be ethnically be Serbian just like an Italian who moves to France won’t ethnically be French.

But who cares? It’s weird that you’re so obsessed with this stuff
Why not? If he accepts the French way of life to the point he can't be distinguished from other French, then what prevents him from becoming 'French'?

Forum List

Back