Cash Abroad Rises $206 Billion as Apple to IBM Avoid Tax

OnePercenter

Gold Member
Apr 10, 2013
The largest U.S.-based companies added $206 billion to their stockpiles of offshore profits last year, parking earnings in low-tax countries until Congress gives them a reason not to.

Cash Abroad Rises $206 Billion as Apple to IBM Avoid Tax - Bloomberg

I have the reason not to!

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2013 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-off’s/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2013 price structure.

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 10 years.

-Recall ALL off-shore investments tax free, and disallow any further off-shore investments.

Of course Republicans and the dementia crowd won't like this since it benefits people.

Let's see where the economy goes if the Democrats hold the Senate then win the WH again?

Let's see where the economy goes if the Democrats hold the Senate then win the WH again?

Democrats need the Senate AND the House in 2014 to fix anything. But I fear the dementia class that put Bush into power and screwed up the economy won't let that happen. After all, they have theirs.

No...I have less now because I have to pay out of pocket for medical expenses....
Thanks to ObamaCare my coverage was dropped...

But how can that be because anyone who says that is a liar.
According to Harry Reid anyway.

Look around libs. Your guy won the election. Democrats made the rules and they could change them if they wonted to. Keep in mind that Enron flourished during the Clinton administration and with the help of Obama's current A.G. Clinton was able to rake in a cool million for pardoning the most notorious corporate pirate in history. Former democrat NJ governor Jon Corzine is alleged to have defrauded investors out of billions and Obama's A.G. shows no interest in prosecuting a fellow liberal democrat.

The largest U.S.-based companies added $206 billion to their stockpiles of offshore profits last year, parking earnings in low-tax countries until Congress gives them a reason not to.

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2013 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-off’s/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2013 price structure.

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 10 years.

-Recall ALL off-shore investments tax free, and disallow any further off-shore investments.

Of course Republicans and the dementia crowd won't like this since it benefits people.

I don't have a problem with this. Companies exist solely to earn profits. They're not humanitarian organizations or anything. If they can be more successful putting their profits into offshore accoutns good for them - that's the way the law's set up (doesn't hurt those laws are written by the comapnie's lawyers naturally.)

What I have a problem with though is it's illegal for private individual citizens to do the same thing. Since corporations are now considered people as to donation to politicial campaigns and such, seems only fair to allow individuals to do everything a corporation does - you know, since they're the same things. :)

While sympathetic to your ire, the shock to the economy would be too much.

You'd have to be more specific because some write-offs are perfectly reasonable.

Not sure what that means, but if SS had kept up with REAL CPI, it'd be at least 50% higher than it is now.

Price controls NEVER EVER EVER work. It's been tried in our lifetimes, too, so my complaint here is NOT theoretical.

It's too broad. Some stuff SHOULD be imported.

I'm siding with the REAL ADAM SMITH [not the half truth lying version the Libertarians think is true, but the WHOLE TEXT) when it comes to foreign trade.

Smith's version of FREE TRADE was that nations first sought to make work for their OWN people, but in cases where it made better sense to IMPORT goods (like cork for example in the 18th century)

Neither would the DEMS, my friend.

I know this for a fact havingt been a DEM who spoke at some length with my congressmen.

They are as ignorant (or they pretnd to be) of MACRO ECON as any REPUBLICAN you ever met.

ON issues of MACRO the differences between Ds and Rs (in power) are rather small.

Last edited:
No...I have less now because I have to pay out of pocket for medical expenses....

Voted for Bush in 2000 my mistake,didn't vote for either imbecile in 2004,voted for Obama in 2008 another mistake,voted for Romney in 2012,would have been better for nation's economy,so I have no dog in this debate
You can blame Obama but not without blaming Republican House.Obama wanted single payer like an extension of medicare,republicans would not accept that,they didn't want their cronies,the insurance co's to take a financial hit.
Obama caved in too easily which has resulted in our healthcare mess.
If we had gotten single payer you would have better coverage for less money.

Prices skyrocketed thanks to Reagan deregulating healthcare insurance.

Your insurance company dropped your coverage because ACA forces them to pay claims.

Democrats need the Senate AND the House in 2014 to fix anything. But I fear the dementia class that put Bush into power and screwed up the economy won't let that happen. After all, they have theirs.

They had it in 2009 and we see how they "fixed" things. More fixes like this and we can throw it in.

Anyone wonder why companies keep cash abroad rather than bring it back? I realize that is asking for thinking beyond Stage One, which libs are incapable of, but there you have it.

They had it in 2009 and we see how they "fixed" things. More fixes like this and we can throw it in.

They had what? The actual numbers for the Bush/Republican/corporate America economic crash weren't in until early 2010.

Anyone wonder why companies keep cash abroad rather than bring it back? I realize that is asking for thinking beyond Stage One, which libs are incapable of, but there you have it.

It's called a tax dodge. I do the same as they do. I hit the $200 million mark this year and pay zero personal taxes. Republicans made that possible.

Forum List

Back