Court Blocks Federal Civil Rights Agency From Suing Christian-Owned Business Over LGBT Firings

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
A win for sanity.

grumpy-cat-good.jpg

But it appears to be in conflict with the 2020 (unfortunate) ruling in 'Bostock'.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Government shall not substantially burden a person’s exercise of religion even if the burden results from a rule of general applicability, except as provided in subsection (b).
(b) EXCEPTION.—Government may substantially burden a person’s exercise of religion only if it demonstrates that application of the burden to the person—
(1) is in furtherance of a compelling governmental interest; and
(2) is the least restrictive means of furthering that compelling governmental interest.

As I said, this ruling appears to be in conflict with 'Bostock'. I don't know if the government will appeal, but I imagine they would as they have a Supreme Court precedent from 2020. So, if they do appeal, cert will very likely be granted, and we will have to wait and see how they maneuver these two issues.

But 'Bostock' was a 6-3 decision and Roberts and Gorsuch were part of the majority, with Gorsuch writing the opinion of the Court.

Forum List

Back