Court upholds ruling that town conspired with fundamentalist church

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
WASHINGTON – A federal appeals court Monday upheld a lower court’s finding that Colorado City had been run as an extension of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, violating nonmembers’ rights in the process.

The Justice Department successfully sued the Arizona town for civil rights violations after finding that local utilities denied water and power to nonmembers, that town police looked the other way when church members committed crimes and shielded church leaders, even helping FLDS leader Warren Jeffs evade capture by the FBI, among other charges.

The town appealed the ruling, arguing that the government had failed to prove those acts were “official municipal policy.”
Court upholds ruling that town conspired with fundamentalist church | Cronkite News - Arizona PBS

I'm not sad here.

WASHINGTON – A federal appeals court Monday upheld a lower court’s finding that Colorado City had been run as an extension of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, violating nonmembers’ rights in the process.

The Justice Department successfully sued the Arizona town for civil rights violations after finding that local utilities denied water and power to nonmembers, that town police looked the other way when church members committed crimes and shielded church leaders, even helping FLDS leader Warren Jeffs evade capture by the FBI, among other charges.

The town appealed the ruling, arguing that the government had failed to prove those acts were “official municipal policy.”
Court upholds ruling that town conspired with fundamentalist church | Cronkite News - Arizona PBS

I'm not sad here.
Nope....the right decision--Just to make it clear..the FLDS is not affiliated with the mainstream LDS church.

I note that the town never denied the acts took place..just tried to win on a technicality.

Forum List

Back