Daylight saving needs......

• Other.....let me explain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Captain Caveman

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2020
England
Not sure in the US, but daylight saving times always comes up as a political debate, shall we scrap it or keep it. I think there's a third option, you may have more ideas.

Two reasons are mentioned why it came about, save fuel for the war effort, and children go to and from school in more daylight for safety reasons.

So daylight saving, which one would you choose?

The half and half idea is move the clocks back half an hour at the end of this month, then just scrap moving the clocks in the future.

Not sure in the US, but daylight saving times always comes up as a political debate, shall we scrap it or keep it. I think there's a third option, you may have more ideas.

Two reasons are mentioned why it came about, save fuel for the war effort, and children go to and from school in more daylight for safety reasons.

The half and half idea is move the clocks back half an hour at the end of this month, then just scrap moving the clocks in the future.
I'm all for getting rid of it.

Not just for domestic reasons, but also because in this highly interconnected world, it sows confusion overseas as to what time it is here.

I'm all for getting rid of it.

Not just for domestic reasons, but also because in this highly interconnected world, it sows confusion overseas as to what time it is here.
To be honest, the UK has one time zone, so we travel about the UK conditioned to the same time. Move it one hour, doesn't really alter much. I fly to Spain, clocks move an hour, no jet lag and the hour doesn't mean much.

The US is confusing to me because you have various timezones, something I don't have to remember, like what is Eastern Time or bla bla time etc..

But that's all time zones as opposed to the daylight saving debacle.

Third reason....
When it was established the gubbermint just got finished setting aside a whole bunch of land as National Parks and Cities began doing the same thing. They wanted people to have daylight hours to go outside and enjoy the parks while the weather was warm and nice outside of normal working hours. Including an entire 18 holes of golf.

Without Daylight savings time you can't get through an entire 18 holes. But with that extra hour you can.

I personally like going outside. I just came in from murdering an overgrown holly bush. (Gonna plant something else in its place)

Exercise is a national health crisis with ⅔rds being overweight and under exercised. And there ain't a thing wrong with walking more than what most people actually do.

Kids waiting on the school bus, in the dark, is a recipe for disaster. Nothing else needs to be considered.

To be honest, the UK has one time zone, so we travel about the UK conditioned to the same time. Move it one hour, doesn't really alter much. I fly to Spain, clocks move an hour, no jet lag and the hour doesn't mean much.

The US is confusing to me because you have various timezones, something I don't have to remember, like what is Eastern Time or bla bla time etc..

Yeah, you are lucky you are GMT.

That's another thing. It might be a good idea if every zone was GMT. That would simplify a lot of things.

In the military, we used GMT everywhere on the planet. Every radio message was timestamped with GMT. We called it Zulu time. It avoided a lot of confusion. It was like in the movies where a team would synchronize their watches. :)

People in the UK who do business with the US, like with my company, get confused as to what time it is here during different times of the year because of DST.

The whole thing is stupid.

The USA is huge by comparison to the UK. The UK can fit entirely inside of a single state or two. The State of Alaska alone covers half of the lower 48 states.

We’ve got to keep it. During the 1973 energy crisis, we stayed on daylight savings time - and it was reversed after three weeks. The main reason was that schoolkids were walking to school in the dark, and it was too dangerous. (I remember my 8 a.m. class started in the pitch black. Weird.)

Not sure why we have to have a system where one day it is 7AM and the next day the very same time is one hour different. We should gradually change the time back and forth in five minute increments day by day. If that seems stupid then my point is to not change the time at all.

I am in Arizona, so we don't do daylight savings time. However, my property borders the Navajo Nation and they do observe daylight savings time. So I can look across my northern property line and see an hour into the future for half the year.

Living in the north, I actually like it as it is. I like the later sunset in summer. Damn near 10:30pm. I work outside also, and in winter it would suck if we didn't fall back an hour. Sunrise would be around 9am, putting me in traffic during peak rush hour. Same with heading home. We like to start and quit early.

~~~~~~
It was tried in 1974 and it was not accepted. Why I don't understand.Daylight Savings time was created to help the farming industry.

~~~~~~
It was tried in 1974 and it was not accepted. Why I don't understand.Daylight Savings time was created to help the farming industry.
Under the History section -

It is a common myth in the United States that DST was first implemented for the benefit of farmers.[38][39][40] In reality, farmers have been one of the strongest lobbying groups against DST since it was first implemented.[38][39][40] The factors that influence farming schedules, such as morning dew and dairy cattle's readiness to be milked, are ultimately dictated by the sun, so the clock change introduces unnecessary challenges.[38][40][41]

DST was first implemented in the US with the Standard Time Act of 1918, a wartime measure for seven months during World War I in the interest of adding more daylight hours to conserve energy resources.

This debate happens twice a year regular as clockwork and nothing ever changes.

Under the History section -

It is a common myth in the United States that DST was first implemented for the benefit of farmers.[38][39][40] In reality, farmers have been one of the strongest lobbying groups against DST since it was first implemented.[38][39][40] The factors that influence farming schedules, such as morning dew and dairy cattle's readiness to be milked, are ultimately dictated by the sun, so the clock change introduces unnecessary challenges.[38][40][41]

DST was first implemented in the US with the Standard Time Act of 1918, a wartime measure for seven months during World War I in the interest of adding more daylight hours to conserve energy resources.
~~~~~~
Thanks, I was mis-informed by a myth... But It's still not a good idea to go Daylight Savings. Europe does not use it and gets along without it....

Forum List

Back