Dead Car Brands/Companies

It's dead Jim.
The wide-ass-n-slow things they stick the Willys name on not withstanding.
When I see one of those on the road I think those TV gadgets that have the old "Bell & Howell" trade name stuck on them. :laughing0301:

There certainly are a number of old brands like that, that still exist in some form, very disconnected from their original history. Vivitar comes to mind, and Curtis Mathes.

The vehicles now bearing the Willys name, are, in fact, legitimate descendants of the original Willys Jeep,.

There certainly are a number of old brands like that, that still exist in some form, very disconnected from their original history. Vivitar comes to mind, and Curtis Mathes.

The vehicles now bearing the Willys name, are, in fact, legitimate descendants of the original Willys Jeep,.
Blah, they have not made a real Jeep since the last CJ rolled off the line.

Triumph, MG, Austin Healy, Jensen. Prone to rust, Lucas electrical systems...built at a time when a typical car owner did his own maintenance.

Then Mazda showed how it could be done right. Pity.

Checker

198576_Misc_1844eb52-331c-4edc-9812-0de5c425d8bc_Web.jpg

No quite what the thread is about, but Rolls Royce just came to mind.

The actual Rolls Royce company has not made automobiles for quite some time. They make airplane engines. They sold their automobile operation a long time ago, and it has changed hands a number of times since then.

The last time it changed hands, both Volkswagen and BMW very much wanted it, and were in a fierce bidding war, which Volkswagen ultimately won. Volkswagen now owns the automobile manufacturing operation that once belonged to Rolls Royce. They got everything pertaining to Rolls Royce automobiles, except for the right to use the Rolls Royce name and logo; somehow, BMW wound up with that.

BMW established a new factory, in England, where it builds automobiles that it sells under the Rolls Royce brand.

Volkswagen continues to build Bentleys at the original Rolls Royce factory.

So, if you're in the market for a new car in this category, and what you want is a Rolls Royce with all the genuine heritage thereof, then what you really want is not a BMW-made “Rolls Royce”, but a Volkswagen-manufactured Bentley.

Cord, Duesenberg and Packard were all quality makes that were discontinued as well. Also, my grandmother drove a Studebaker in the 1960's which was a classy car as well.

YUGO

I worked in an auto parts store the summer between my two years of college. A gentleman came in looking for new windshield wipers for his Yugo and I couldn’t find them in the catalogue so I went to our manager.

He asked what the guy was looking for. I said… “He’s looking to get new wipers for his Yugo.”. My manager responded… “Yeah. That’s a fair trade.” Thankfully the customer found it humorous and we were able to locate the part he needed.

Kaiser Hudson Tucker ...

This is a 1948 Hudson I saw at that car show last weekend. It's what's referred to as a "survivor". It's never had any restorative work done to it:

pv09a.jpg

Here's a Tucker I saw in a Tacoma car museum last month. It's one of only 51 ever built:

acm23.jpg

Forum List

Back