Dear Abby response: Gay Democrat dating Gay Republican

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
I put this under race relations because it reminds me of friends who suffered rejection or disownment from family or friends because they dated or married biracially.

As a child of parents who got divorced, and put pressure on people to "take sides" between our parents we equally loved and respected, I think about how much it hurts people to hold on to our engrained divisions, against people of other groups, when they get torn in between loyalties because we don't give them the choice to keep both! Even liberal inclusionists who fault bigots as being racist, which reinforces the defensive justifications for people's beliefs, and doesn't address or alleviate the divisions; this hurts the relationships with people with friends from both groups that don't have to let their differences divide them as hateful enemies.

I respect and applaud the part below where the writer explains how the couple looks past their differences, which they acknowledge exist, and focus on areas they relate to in common. I have to do this a lot myself, and respect the effort it takes people to rise above.

I do encourage more of this approach and find that, lo and behold, some of those other differences can actually be resolved in that context of sharing as equal partners in a relationship (not enemies competing to discredit each other), similar to what these two men are going through despite the discouraging rejection of some friends.

Politically Incorrect writes to Dear Abby said:
DEAR ABBY: I am a gay man who has been single for seven years. I met this guy, "Mark," about 10 months ago and we hit it off immediately. We have almost everything in common except that I'm a Democrat and he's a Republican. We both know how we feel about our political differences and decided to continue dating anyway.

My problem concerns my other gay friends, mostly Democrats, who don't like Mark because he's a Republican. I have tried explaining to them that we overlook our differences and concentrate on the many things we have in common, and they should try to do the same. But they no longer invite me to gatherings and their phone calls have ceased.

I feel hurt and rejected by my closest friends, some of whom I have known my whole life. I feel torn between them and Mark, who is someone I really care for. Is it wrong to continue my relationship with my boyfriend at the expense of my friends? -- POLITICALLY INCORRECT

Dear Abby's Response said:
DEAR POLITICALLY INCORRECT: Twenty-twelve was a particularly heated election year, with important issues at stake and negative campaigning bringing out the worst in many people. Now that the election has been decided, one would hope that inflamed emotions will settle down and life can return to normal.

I know several couples who have strong and happy "mixed" marriages in which the spouses do not always agree politically. It is a shame that you would be required to choose between the man you care for and your longtime friends, who want to ignore that there are also gay Republicans.

I see nothing wrong with continuing your relationship with Mark; however, I think it may be time for you to expand your circle of friends if this is how your old ones behave. You'll all be happier if you do. Trust me on that.

Please think before you put yourself or someone you know in this situation of having to "choose" between people of different views who are afraid to associate and thus start disowning people caught in between, trying to avoid differences they are afraid to confront.

How sad, and I hope we can all do better than this in the future by what we learn from mixed situations like this! I am blessed to have friends who are open minded to try to accommodate me when I tell them I have friends of different political and religious views.
I realize what an advantage I have, and would want all people to have that support. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm a conservative. I've got black friends, gay friends, and lots of other kinds of friends too. Much like most of us I suspect.

To me this is about neither sexual preferences, nor political affiliations. This is about people who will accept others only on their terms. Hey, you can be our friend if you act and otherwise behave the way we want you to. Whadaya say, huh?

If I was Dear Abby I'd likely replied...

DEAR POLITICALLY INCORRECT: This is your lucky day. I've been waiting my whole advice career for the opportunity to give someone the perfect line of response for whomever is in need of it, and I've finally found it in your case, given the persuasions of your "friends," so here's what you tell them. "Boys, go fuck yourselves!" Nice and loud, and then go find out what real friendship is about.

This story has been floating around for at least 20 years. It used to be "my boyfriend just got out of prison but my family won't accept him because he's a republican".

It's as old as any polish joke.

This story has been floating around for at least 20 years. It used to be "my boyfriend just got out of prison but my family won't accept him because he's a republican".

It's as old as any polish joke.

Are you trying to claim that there are those who do not associate with people based on nothing but political affiliation?

Forum List

Back