Disney reverses plan to replace tech employees with outsourced workers

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Disney has canceled recent plans to replace employees in 30 technology positions with workers from an agency known for outsourcing jobs to immigrants on temporary work visas.

Employees of Disney/ABC Television in New York and Burbank first heard of the layoffs in late May. In recent weeks, before the company reversed course, some of the employees were asked to help train their successors, mostly via teleconference but also in person in some cases.
Disney reverses plan to replace tech employees with outsourced workers - LA Times

In late May, about 35 technology employees at Disney-ABC Television in New York and Burbank, California, received jarring news. Managers told them that they would all be laid off, and that during their final weeks they would have to train immigrants brought in by an outsourcing company to do their jobs.

The training began, but after a few days it was suspended with no explanation. In New York, the immigrants suddenly stopped coming to the offices. Then on June 11, managers summoned the Disney employees with different news: Their layoffs had been canceled.

"We were read a precisely worded statement," said one of the employees, who was reluctant to be named because he remains at the company. "We were told our jobs were continuing and we should consider it as if nothing had happened until further notice."

...The Labor Department said last week that it had opened an investigation into two outsourcing companies, Tata Consultancy Services and Infosys, for work they did for Southern California Edison, a power utility. It also referred complaints to the Justice Department for a separate inquiry. Senator Bill Nelson of Florida, a Democrat, has called for an investigation of the H-1-B visa programme.
H 1-B visa row Disney cancels tech worker layoffs - The Times of India

They (Labor Department) weren't going to investigate that until the media finally got around to mentioning it.

Folks, that's sad.

While I'm glad, Disney reversed course I'm sure that it had everything to do with people finally coming down on there is no STEM shortage.

Last edited:
Good. Now we can keep our plans to visit Disneyland on my wife's birthday.

Forum List

Back