Workers Are Celebrating a Ban on Noncompetes. Employers Are Ready to Fight.

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

I think there's already a thread on this but I can't find it so sue me.

Millions of workers will have more freedom over where they work should a recent Federal Trade Commission ban on nearly all noncompete agreements take effect.

In interviews with The Wall Street Journal, workers largely cheered the new rule. They say they are already thinking about ways a ban on noncompetes could help them and others change jobs and earn more.

Many major employers, on the other hand, are fighting the decision with a challenge in federal court filed by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and backed by the Business Roundtable, which represents chief executive officers of some of the country's biggest employers. Some employers are also preparing to change the way they train and pay their workers.
The ban is set to go into effect at the end of August, but could be delayed or struck down by lawsuits.

The new rules shift the balance of power between U.S. workers and their bosses yet again, following years of workplace clashes over remote work and pay, as well as a wave of resignations and layoffs. Employees say noncompetes have kept them tied to bad bosses or unreasonably limited their career mobility. Businesses say they need noncompetes to protect trade secrets and other confidential information, including customer lists and financial data.

Noncompete clauses in employment contracts have proliferated in recent years. They prohibit people across industries and pay grades from fast-food workers to medical doctors from easily moving to other employers or starting new ventures of their own.

It looks like a case of "When Assholes Collide".

Sorry ass workers that want to work from home (for just four days no less) and the greedy US Chamber of Commerce types that don't want to pay anyone but their CEOs and BODs anything.

Forum List

Back