DIY Solar Powered AC unit

Dr.Destructo

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2024
I don't know WHY these haven't been created for the market. Would super sell like fucking .25 hotdogs at a baseball game.

I've got a friend who is NOT mechanically or techinically inclined in any way.
So, I'm trying to figure out a way he can turn his portable/window AC unit into a solar powered one.

I've seen solar powered batteries, where you can put the solar panel in a window.

Only problem is, I am not technical enough to figure out the logistics of this.

I don't know what solar powered battery would work best, without overheating for being used on a 80000 (or higher) BTU window unit.

Any DIY masters on here that could help figure out the BEST, CHEAPEST, EASIEST, and safest way to put something like this together?

Thanks!
1722355053918.png

The big problem with the plan is that AC's are high consumption. Look at the label on the back. Otherwise, there are no problems that can't be dealt with.

The better plan is to throw out the AC unit and find an alternative for cooling. That should be done as soon as possible and before the power grid fails.

Put enough panels on your roof to generate 2000Watts? Whatever it takes. Send that to a converter to create 115VAC at one outlet. Plug in the AC. Wait for sun. Hope it works.

There is no free lunch. Cooling a 1000 cubic feet of Air in a bedroom is not free.

You don't think people have been trying to do that for 500 years or more? Maybe you don't need cool air up in Canada but in TX they need it. Old people in trailers or Condos need AC.
There are always alternatives to AC's but your demeanour indicates to me that you wouldn't be interested.

Texas needs to change it's attitude before it experiences a big die off.

Ask me for answers if you can be polite and sincere about it.

Forum List

Back