Do celebrity endorsements of a POTUS candidate make any difference?

ColonelAngus

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2015
Do people actually vote for a certain candidate because Katy Perry, Lena Dunham, Miley Cyrus, Maddona, Cher, Deniro, etc. endorse a candidate?

Hillary had a massive amount of celebrity backing and she still lost.

Might it even have a negative effect?

I don't really care about celebrity endorsements. I think for myself.

I think it could have a negative effect if a person dislikes the celebrity for the politician and it could have a negative effect if the person dislikes the politician on the celebrity.

After being here (USMB) for more than a year, I'm sure you can agree. :D

Do people actually vote for a certain candidate because Katy Perry, Lena Dunham, Miley Cyrus, Maddona, Cher, Deniro, etc. endorse a candidate?

Hillary had a massive amount of celebrity backing and she still lost.

Might it even have a negative effect?

I think it might have a negative effect. I am with Chris, I can think for myself. No celebrity will influence me. Many embarrass me.

I am issue oriented so I don't give a damn but It is certain it has a positive effect for some of our shallower citizens. Trump's campaign had a celebrity candidate and it is certain he got a fair number of votes simply from the artificial persona he has built for himself in the media. Stripped of all the prior fame he could never have won. Would anyone vote for a New York real estate developer for president if that was all he was? Know any other developers who might make a great president?

I think the Brady and Belichek endorsements helped Trump. They are both popular symbols of excellence.

Everybody knows who Clooney is going to endorse beforehand. But I think Sarandan's endorsement of Jill Stein over Hillary drew attention.

Forum List

Back