Do revolvers have magazines? Yes, they do.

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
speedloaders-featured.jpg

See?

51ByeWvekoL._SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_ML2_.jpg
Oh wait! ;) But seriously I was taught that clips are detachable magazines are not.

Another way to look at the difference between a speed-loader and a revolver clip is that the revolver clip is a part of the revolver that uses them system.....Without the clip the revolver will not function properly.

That said they still make .45 Autorim that allows firing/ejection without the use of clips in the M1917s and the modern derivatives that take the clips.

Today they even make full moon plastic clips but I reserve those for range use.

That's not a magazine, those are called speed loaders.

A magazine is a self contained container of self feeding rounds inserted into a weapon that is removable.

A speed loader just is a cartridge holder that speeds up loading. Technically speaking if you consider a speed loader a magazine then your hand is also a magazine because you can hold the 6 rounds in your hand, open the wheel, and stick all the cartridges in.

That's not a magazine, those are called speed loaders.

A magazine is a self contained container of self feeding rounds inserted into a weapon that is removable.

A speed loader just is a cartridge holder that speeds up loading. Technically speaking if you consider a speed loader a magazine then your hand is also a magazine because you can hold the 6 rounds in your hand, open the wheel, and stick all the cartridges in.
I know what they are. I have several.

Now a moon clip could be called a magazine.
You can call a speed loader or a moon clip a magazine if you want to but some people will ignore anything you say from that point on. They will simply believe you have little or no knowledge about firearms and can’t even use the correct terminology.

The truth is they would be right.

When you discuss a subject it is best to use the right terminology. It limits confusion.

Magazines don't have to be removable. Some guns have integral box magazines that load from the top, some have tubular magazines, etc.

Magazines store and feed ammunition. On a revolver, you could say the cylinder is the magazine (though it's never referred to that way).

Clips are accessories that hold ammunition and make it easier to load the magazine.

Forum List

Back