Do revolvers have magazines? Yes, they do.

speedloaders-featured.jpg

See?
Words matter

Those are speed loaders not magazines

You can call a speed loader or a moon clip a magazine if you want to but some people will ignore anything you say from that point on. They will simply believe you have little or no knowledge about firearms and can’t even use the correct terminology.

The truth is they would be right.

When you discuss a subject it is best to use the right terminology. It limits confusion.

Wait...
Are you trying to say I dont know anything about firearms?
The reason I say a moon clip could be considered a magazine is because it stays in the cylinder and the gun wont operate without it.
A speed loader is exactly what it's name indicates.

Be damned if that's so....They cost too much. ;)

That said the .mil half moon clips were never really meant to be reused.
I didn't mean they were thrown away. They are dropped (discarded) after the cylinder is charged and retrieved later. Magazines stay in the weapon until all the rounds are fired and then dropped (discarded) . Feel better?

I didn't mean they were thrown away. They are dropped (discarded) after the cylinder is charged and retrieved later. Magazines stay in the weapon until all the rounds are fired and then dropped (discarded) . Feel better?
I knew what you meant but your phrasing could have been better. ;)

Here's something that will make heads explode.

OIP.aA1GKFkoqTjzZZ3eenIewAHaHa

I never felt bad, you're the one said you discarded them.

Wait...
Are you trying to say I dont know anything about firearms?
The reason I say a moon clip could be considered a magazine is because it stays in the cylinder and the gun wont operate without it.
A speed loader is exactly what it's name indicates.
I had a S&W Model 25-2 which fired .45 acp ammo. It would fire reliably without using moon clips but obviously you would have to use a pen or screwdriver to extract the ammo. Often on the range I would target shoot without using moon clips. I was in no hurry.

You make an interesting argument but the bottom line is a magazine contains a spring. A moon clip doesn’t.

***snip***

Let’s talk about revolver cylinders.

They are not exactly magazines, but these concealed carry blasters use clips in a different fashion than rifles.

The technical term for the ammunition-storage of a revolver is called a wheel. You can say that it’s the revolver’s magazine.

The revolver’s wheel defies our definition that detachable magazines use springs to force rounds into the chamber. That’s why the revolver’s wheel is considered as the third type of container, in contrast to the two common types.

The revolver ammo cartridge is rimmed and is different from your regular pistol ammo which makes extraction from the chamber easier after firing.

The full moon/half moon clips are usually chambered in revolvers, and unlike their 9mm and .45 auto cousins, the chambering is in a revolving fashion, hence the name.

The clips are like stars. A half moon clip holds three, while a full moon one holds six rounds, and the clip makes reloading easier.

***snip***

HOW TO REMEMBER THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CLIP AND A MAGAZINE​

While we’re at it, let’s also remind you why it should be simple to see the difference between a clip and a magazine by now.
The easiest way to tell the difference is that magazines have springs, and clips do not.

I had a S&W Model 25-2 which fired .45 acp ammo. It would fire reliably without using moon clips but obviously you would have to use a pen or screwdriver to extract the ammo. Often on the range I would target shoot without using moon clips. I was in no hurry.

You make an interesting argument but the bottom line is a magazine contains a spring. A moon clip doesn’t.

***snip***

Let’s talk about revolver cylinders.

They are not exactly magazines, but these concealed carry blasters use clips in a different fashion than rifles.

The technical term for the ammunition-storage of a revolver is called a wheel. You can say that it’s the revolver’s magazine.

The revolver’s wheel defies our definition that detachable magazines use springs to force rounds into the chamber. That’s why the revolver’s wheel is considered as the third type of container, in contrast to the two common types.

The revolver ammo cartridge is rimmed and is different from your regular pistol ammo which makes extraction from the chamber easier after firing.

The full moon/half moon clips are usually chambered in revolvers, and unlike their 9mm and .45 auto cousins, the chambering is in a revolving fashion, hence the name.

The clips are like stars. A half moon clip holds three, while a full moon one holds six rounds, and the clip makes reloading easier.

***snip***

HOW TO REMEMBER THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CLIP AND A MAGAZINE

While we’re at it, let’s also remind you why it should be simple to see the difference between a clip and a magazine by now.
The easiest way to tell the difference is that magazines have springs, and clips do not.

The 610 will not function without a moon clip when shooting the .40 caliber rounds.
In my case the 10mm will no longer function without a moon clip. Like the 10mm wont shoot the .40 without a moon clip because the rounds will drop below the point where the firing pin will reach.

The 610 will not function without a moon clip when shooting the .40 caliber rounds.
In my case the 10mm will no longer function without a moon clip. Like the 10mm wont shoot the .40 without a moon clip because the rounds will drop below the point where the firing pin will reach.
Some firearms require moon clips to work others don‘t.

I also own a 9mm S&W Model 940 J -frame revolver that uses moon clips and is no longer in production. I haven’t fired it in a while but I believe it will not fire without a moon clip.

Some firearms require moon clips to work others don‘t.

I also own a 9mm S&W Model 940 J -frame revolver that uses moon clips and is no longer in production. I haven’t fired it in a while but I believe it will not fire without a moon clip.

It depends on the ability of the firearm.
As I said the .40 wont work without a moon clip like my 10mm. Magnum will no longer shoot without a moon clip when shooting a standard 10mm.
When I bought the S&W 610-3 and had it modified it would shoot the 10mm magnum without a moon clip but as you said you have to push the empties out with a stick or whatever else you could find. But it wont shoot the 10mm without a moon clip or the .40.
Only one of these pictured will work without a moon clip.
The 10mm and the .40 require a moon clip to function.

IMG_3794.jpeg

Forum List

Back