Don't take my self check out away!

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
The self checkout service at some local retailers are quickly becoming a social brand on the local area. Areas where the self checkouts flourish as opposed to those what they do not apparently demarcate demographics that the retailers are loathe to expose or openly talk about.

I use the self checkout at the local Walmart quite a bit and I really like it. It's much much faster than waiting in line for a single cashier. I do have some friends who have admitted to me that they abuse it and one who even admits that he saves up to 20% in his estimate by pulling fast ones at the self checkout.

I tried to explain to him that everything is recorded and that they probably realize what he's doing and eventually it may catch up to him. He just laughs and thinks that I'm paranoid.

In any case self checkout closure is happening rapidly around the country in dense population areas.... Largely in Urban jungles. The response is predictable, especially for those who have learned to prey on it as a form of additional income.

Long lines in grocery stores has become the norm after covid... the problem is the cashiers need to do the bagging too and the lines grow...
Self check out lines are even longer and if we have beer a manager must flash his card so you can check out... good luck finding him or her....
I will often go to a liquor store for my beer a bakery for bread a butcher deli for my meat and a farmers market for veggies and fruit... just to avoid the grocery store....

The self checkout service at some local retailers are quickly becoming a social brand on the local area. Areas where the self checkouts flourish as opposed to those what they do not apparently demarcate demographics that the retailers are loathe to expose or openly talk about.

I use the self checkout at the local Walmart quite a bit and I really like it. It's much much faster than waiting in line for a single cashier. I do have some friends who have admitted to me that they abuse it and one who even admits that he saves up to 20% in his estimate by pulling fast ones at the self checkout.

I tried to explain to him that everything is recorded and that they probably realize what he's doing and eventually it may catch up to him. He just laughs and thinks that I'm paranoid.

In any case self checkout closure is happening rapidly around the country in dense population areas.... Largely in Urban jungles. The response is predictable, especially for those who have learned to prey on it as a form of additional income.

when they start paying me cashier wages, I'll use self-checkout.

i resisted self check for a long time but since they put the "guns" there so i can just aim at the bar code rather than swiping over and over and ove that dirty glass...... .

Long lines in grocery stores has become the norm after covid... the problem is the cashiers need to do the bagging too and the lines grow...
Self check out lines are even longer and if we have beer a manager must flash his card so you can check out... good luck finding him or her....
I will often go to a liquor store for my beer a bakery for bread a butcher deli for my meat and a farmers market for veggies and fruit... just to avoid the grocery store....
/----/ " will often go to a liquor store for my beer a bakery for bread a butcher deli for my meat and a farmers market for veggies and fruit... just to avoid the grocery store...."
It's funny that you mention that. I grew up in the south, where we bought everything from the Winn Dixie supermarket except beer and liquor. I moved to Woodhaven, Queens, in 1971. In my new neighborhood, there was an ancient supermarket and specialty stores surrounding it. A butcher, a pork store, a fish store, a bakery, and a vegetable store. Since they specialized in one product, you'd get better quality food than from the supermarket. It also costs more. Surprisingly, the population was so dense that they all prospered. Thanx for the memory.

Last edited:

I am a huge fan of self check, always have been. Our local grocery store has gone back to trying to limit it to 10 items as people with full carts started using them, which was never their purpose and they do not have the bagging room.

I am a huge fan of self check, always have been. Our local grocery store has gone back to trying to limit it to 10 items as people with full carts started using them, which was never their purpose and they do not have the bagging room.
I usually can do a half carriage in nothing flat. I always stop before I get in to the stall area and turn up all the barcodes so that they are all visible and the next thing you know, in a flurry of laser flashes and beeps.... I'm out!

Last edited:
I don’t care what anyone says, self checkout is way way faster than the old way

And, again, no cashiers are being denied jobs. Any adult human being with a pulse can get a cashier job if they so want.

Even with self checkouts, grocery stores are still begging for applicants to fill the open cashier slots they have left

Forum List

Back