Drax To Build Wood Power Cargo Ship

I don't care for this idea one bit and I think the Brits must have been idiots to actually pay these people to do this. Even if they actually were burning nothing but wood waste, the rate at which they are releasing it's CO2 is thousands and thousands of times the rate of release from organic decomposition and as noted in several places it will take thousands of time as long for new growth to capture CO2 as it is taking to produce it via combustion. Drax originally specialized in coal fired power plants and had the honor of owning and operating the most polluting power plant in all of Europe. Their conversion to "biomass" wood pellets has been extremely controversial and most environmental organizations and activists have opposed it fiercely. I suspect a great deal of their support has come from the fossil fuel industry and their well-paid supporters in government. I saw several articles noting that Drax was making use of loopholes in carbon capture legislation to qualify for the subsidies they are receiving. This looks to me like another act of desperation from the dying fossil fuel industry.

Government mandates end up wasting money and energy without actually achieving
the stated goal.

Who could have seen that coming?

This looks to me like another act of desperation from the dying fossil fuel industry.

This looks to me like another act of stupidity from the green industry.

What about Canadians

And why not just go all the way

View attachment 947901

Race ya

View attachment 947902
Deplorable Yankee clipper
Challenge accepted.

1716394289113.png

Yeah, and compared to a modern oil or gas powered powerplant it is horribly inefficient.

Leave it to stupid people to cut down trees, for fucks sake, to inefficiently run a powerplant.

These people bring new meaning to the word retarded.
Depends on the wood source. Lots of storm toppled trees all over the place. Wood is the most underrated and wasted fuel source in America.

I don't care for this idea one bit and I think the Brits must have been idiots to actually pay these people to do this. Even if they actually were burning nothing but wood waste, the rate at which they are releasing it's CO2 is thousands and thousands of times the rate of release from organic decomposition and as noted in several places it will take thousands of time as long for new growth to capture CO2 as it is taking to produce it via combustion. Drax originally specialized in coal fired power plants and had the honor of owning and operating the most polluting power plant in all of Europe. Their conversion to "biomass" wood pellets has been extremely controversial and most environmental organizations and activists have opposed it fiercely. I suspect a great deal of their support has come from the fossil fuel industry and their well-paid supporters in government. I saw several articles noting that Drax was making use of loopholes in carbon capture legislation to qualify for the subsidies they are receiving. This looks to me like another act of desperation from the dying fossil fuel industry.
You have to factor in the amount of fossil fuel use, especially coal, that is replaced by burning wood. Also, the mineral value of the ash must be factored in.

We have a coal-fired power plant in my state that utilizes some wood chips as well as a small amount of shredded tire rubber (staying within the emission parameters set by the EPA).

Last edited:
Seagoing shipping contributes 3 percent of the global ghg pollution. That's quite a bit.
Not when you factor in how much they move. Shipping is currently one of the most efficient means of transporting goods. Reverting back to wind power is laughable. They will expend far more GHG's making the ship, then they ever get back through its operations.

Thus it is nothing more than a exercise in virtue signaling.

Forum List

Back