Dying Out of Sight: Hikikomori in an Aging Japan.

expat500

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2012
It's estimated over a million Japanese live as "hikikomori," recluses totally withdrawn from society. Some hikikomori may even go for decades without leaving their house. While in the past the phenomenon was most commonly associated with young men, recent data has revealed a much wider demographic of people whose confidence in themselves, and in society, has been shattered. As the parents or relatives hikikomori so often depend on entirely become too old to care for them, many now face a dire situation, left alone and unable to cope.

This is what I fear too, especially now that I am single at my age. Growing old alone is sad and inhumane

Japan has a very strange society

They have a lot of mental health problems to deal with

So does every country.
Have you seen the closet homes in Japan?

They are just cubicles with only enough room to lay down and a desk big enough to hold a laptop computer

These are permanent residences for many people

Have you seen the closet homes in Japan?

They are just cubicles with only enough room to lay down and a desk big enough to hold a laptop computer

These are permanent residences for many people

No they're not. Those are usually hotels people use when they miss the last train home.

They are not necessarily mentally ill. But if a Japanese male is unemployed for only few years after working for many years, he is branded as "socially withdrawn" by Japanese society. There is a presumption that able-bodied males are supposed to work until they die.

They are not necessarily mentally ill. But if a Japanese male is unemployed for only few years after working for many years, he is branded as "socially withdrawn" by Japanese society. There is a presumption that able-bodied males are supposed to work until they die.
Don't exaggerate.

They are affordable youth hostels in Tokyo and American tourists often stay there because everything is so expensive in Tokyo. It costs only $20-$30 per night.

They are affordable youth hostels in Tokyo and American tourists often stay there because everything is so expensive in Tokyo. It costs only $20-$30 per night.

If you live simply, it's not that bad. If you live like a tourist, what do you expect anywhere?

Forum List

Back