Emboldened GOP Seeks Steep Reduction Or Outright Elimination Of State Income Taxes

My state taxes are much higher than federal, yet few services are available and the debt of the state, (IL) is untenable. Bankrupt now seems a good idea.

That's simply not true, at least if your talking about State income taxes.

The highest state income tax bracket in the US is lower than the lowest federal income tax bracket.

And don't PM me anymore...I won't go on a date with you, scumbucket.

Hey, retard, I simply responded to YOUR PM. I've decided you wingnut retards aren't even worthy of my retaliatory negs. I will continue to speak my mind. Long live free speech!!!!!

You clowns are very typical of the House Republican Teabaggers.

Eliminating STate revenues insure us that the FEDEERAL GOVERNMENT will be the dominant legal authority in the land.

Is THAT what the GOP really wants?

Are state governments trying to eliminate themselves?

This type of activity does not come free of charge no way jose'!

For every tax deduction there is a tax increase ,user fee increase or in general some type of revenue increase somewhere in the pie of taxes. May see local rates increase to make up for loss of state or federal revenues.

This is not coincidence but well orchestrated:

TABOR is Coming by Grover Norquist and Koch Bros sells out state governments, public schools,SRS services etc etc to private industry = Grab Your Wallets!
Beware: TABOR Is Coming | Dollars & Sense

ALEC
Secretive Corporate-Legislative Group ALEC Holds Annual Meeting to Rewrite State Laws

Koch Brothers, ALEC and Their Corporate Allies Plan to Privatize Government | Truthout

I have many questions about this, including where will disaster relief funds come from? Or is it each man, woman, and child for themselves?

I think you just defined the Republican mission statement.

The crazy thing is...Republipukes can't thing beyond their own noses. Let's review, shall we?

1. Reduce the size of the Federal government's role in social programs and practically everything but(apparently) defense.

This in turn, reduces the amount of Federal Dollars going into individual states' coffers. Thereby forcing states to provide for themselves for the most part.

2. Now we have this idiot who is touting the idea of the States fucking up their revenue streams.... the end result is...

A. Every man for themselves(which is their ideal)

But the more likely scenario?

B. Massive local taxation. Sounds like a Fiefdom

WELCOME TO FEUDAL AMERICA. The Conservatives have turned out once great country into Afghanistan's world of warlords and constant internal struggle.

Ah yes... the American Dream.

IF any of you here don't live in that state, then I guess it's really NONE of your business what they do..

but seeing some of you here fret OVER reducing of even getting rid of some taxes is funny as hell..

IF any of you here don't live in that state, then I guess it's really NONE of your business what they do..

but seeing some of you here fret OVER reducing of even getting rid of some taxes is funny as hell..

Yep... none of our business..... until they petition the Federal Government for more funds because they can't run their state properly without those sources of revenues.

By Sean Murphy

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A year after Republicans swept into office across the country, many have trained their sights on what has long been a fiscal conservative's dream: the steep reduction or even outright elimination of state income taxes.

The idea has circulated among academics and think-tank researchers for years. But it's moving quietly into mainstream political discourse, despite the fact that such sweeping changes would almost certainly mean a total rewiring of tax systems at a time when most states are still struggling in the aftermath of the recession.

"I think there's going to be more action that way," especially as Republican governors release their budget plans, said Kim Rueben, an expert on state taxation at the Brookings Urban Tax Policy Center.

Last year, GOP lawmakers in many states quickly went to work on a new conservative agenda: restricting abortion, cracking down on illegal immigration, expanding gun rights and taking aim at public-employee unions.

Emboldened by that success, the party has launched income tax efforts in Idaho, Kansas, Maine, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma and South Carolina. But it's not clear how all those states would make up for the lost revenue, and Rueben said she's not aware of any state in modern history that has eliminated an income tax.

Nine states already get by without an income tax, mostly by tapping other sources of revenue. Nevada and Florida rely on sales taxes that target the tourism industry. Alaska has taxes on natural resources, and Texas imposes substantial property taxes. The other five states are: New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington and Wyoming.

But in the rest of the country, income taxes pay for bedrock government services, including roads and bridges and schools and prison systems.

More: Emboldened GOP Seeks Steep Reduction Or Outright Elimination Of State Income Taxes

Actually, all the states without an income tax are doing really well.

Meanwhile, here in Illinois, Governor Quinnocchio has raised income taxes and lo and behold, businesses are fleeing the state like rats off a sinking ship.

I believe that the states of Tennessee and Florida have no income tax.
There are probably others.

It's about being fiscally responsible, balancing the books, and controlling spending.

The three most evil things in all Liberaldom.

It's not like the Republicans have covered themselves in glory at these things. At least not on the federal level.

TABOR & ALEC = This type of activity does not come free of charge no way jose'!

For every tax deduction there is a tax increase ,user fee increase or in general some type of revenue increase somewhere in the pie of taxes.

May see local rates increase to make up for loss of state or federal revenues.

This is not coincidence but part of a well orchestrated plan to privatize the state on behalf of corporate campaign contributors.

The tax dollar haters have their eyes on our trillions of tax dollars flowing into their bank accounts. Going to the Cayman Islands.

TABOR and ALEC have teamed up against the lower wage earners say from $ 75,000 on down.

TABOR is Coming sells out state governments, public schools,SRS services etc etc to private industry = Grab Your Wallets!

Hundreds of state legislators from all 50 states have gathered in New Orleans for the annual meeting of the American Legislative Exchange Council, known as ALEC. Critics say the Washington-based organization plays a key role in helping corporations secretly draft model pro-business legislation that has been used by state lawmakers across the country.

Unlike many other organizations, ALEC’s membership includes both state lawmakers and corporate executives who gather behind closed doors to discuss and vote on model legislation.

In recent months, ALEC has come under increasing scrutiny for its role in drafting bills to:
* attack workers’ rights
* roll back environmental regulations
* privatize education
* deregulate major industries
* passing voter ID laws.

Nonetheless, this year’s annual ALEC meeting boasts the largest attendance in five years, with nearly 2,000 guests in attendance. A look at some 800 model bills approved by companies and lawmakers at recent ALEC meetings.

Secretive Corporate-Legislative Group ALEC Holds Annual Meeting to Rewrite State Laws

New Exposé Tracks ALEC-Private Prison Industry Effort to Replace Unionized Workers with Prison Labor

Koch Brothers, ALEC and Their Corporate Allies Plan to Privatize Government | Truthout

(TABOR) Beware: TABOR Is Coming | Dollars & Sense

I believe that the states of Tennessee and Florida have no income tax.
There are probably others.

It's about being fiscally responsible, balancing the books, and controlling spending.

Or having beaches, mountains or music capitols that draw tourists may help. :cool: Do you honestly believe that Florida and Tennessee would survive without tourist dollars?

BTW.....Tennessee DOES have an income tax. They tax income from stocks and bonds.

By Sean Murphy

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A year after Republicans swept into office across the country, many have trained their sights on what has long been a fiscal conservative's dream: the steep reduction or even outright elimination of state income taxes.

The idea has circulated among academics and think-tank researchers for years. But it's moving quietly into mainstream political discourse, despite the fact that such sweeping changes would almost certainly mean a total rewiring of tax systems at a time when most states are still struggling in the aftermath of the recession.

"I think there's going to be more action that way," especially as Republican governors release their budget plans, said Kim Rueben, an expert on state taxation at the Brookings Urban Tax Policy Center.

Last year, GOP lawmakers in many states quickly went to work on a new conservative agenda: restricting abortion, cracking down on illegal immigration, expanding gun rights and taking aim at public-employee unions.

Emboldened by that success, the party has launched income tax efforts in Idaho, Kansas, Maine, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma and South Carolina. But it's not clear how all those states would make up for the lost revenue, and Rueben said she's not aware of any state in modern history that has eliminated an income tax.

Nine states already get by without an income tax, mostly by tapping other sources of revenue. Nevada and Florida rely on sales taxes that target the tourism industry. Alaska has taxes on natural resources, and Texas imposes substantial property taxes. The other five states are: New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington and Wyoming.

But in the rest of the country, income taxes pay for bedrock government services, including roads and bridges and schools and prison systems.

More: Emboldened GOP Seeks Steep Reduction Or Outright Elimination Of State Income Taxes

Meanwhile, here in Illinois, Governor Quinnocchio has raised income taxes and lo and behold, businesses are fleeing the state like rats off a sinking ship.

Now apply that same logic - and outcome - to your rabid attitude towards massive tax increases on the wealthy.... same outcome. They'll go somewhere else. Get that now?

I have many questions about this, including where will disaster relief funds come from? Or is it each man, woman, and child for themselves?

From the other forms of taxation.

w/o income tax, people move in. "flood" is an exaggeration, since moving is costly. But why leave to live and pay more for the same thing?

By Sean Murphy

Illinois has been installing fiber optic broad band and improving the state's infrastructure. Republicans think it's only about taxes. It's all they can get in their little minds. A company has to have electricity, sewage, transportation, an educated work force and so on. If they pay lower taxes and don't have these things then they aren't gaining anything. Republicans don't understand this. They refuse to rebuild the nation's infrastructure and thy cut education. They think that just by cutting taxes companies will come. But they won't. I couldn't find any proof of business fleeing the state. Besides, where are they going to go? To a filthy, ignorant Red State?

Forum List

Back