EU plans to fit all cars with speed limiters

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Only ones who oppose this are the psychopath drivers and, of course, the auto industry. The car makers love speeders cause they cause crashes and car crashes mean car sales

EU plans to fit all cars with speed limiters - Telegraph

:49AM BST 01 Sep 2013
Under the proposals new cars would be fitted with cameras that could read road speed limit signs and automatically apply the brakes when this is exceeded.
Patrick McLoughlin, the Transport Secretary, is said to be opposed to the plans, which could also mean existing cars are sent to garages to be fitted with the speed limiters, preventing them from going over 70mph.
The new measures have been announced by the European Commission’s Mobility and Transport Department as a measure to reduce the 30,000 people who die on the roads in Europe every year.
A Government source told the Mail on Sunday Mr McLoughlin had instructed officials to block the move because they ‘violated’ motorists’ freedom. They said: “This has Big Brother written all over it and is exactly the sort of thing that gets people's backs up about Brussels

• Banned
Needless intervention.

As the article says, yurp has 30,000 highway murders every year. America has 35,000. That's a hundred every day. If america had a plane crash every day that killed a hundred people, would you say hell with it?

think

People die. That's what we're here to do.

My land speed record is 164 mph in 1988 Porsche 928 S4. Speed limit that.

Most cars today are already governed...but they are easy enough to bypass. Of course...even WITH the governor, my Magnum would top 120. :)

Drive 'slowly', live longer, and have less chance of being maimed for life.

Of course, if like me you have the hide to actually bring your vehicle to a complete stop at STOP signs, drive at the posted speed limits, and slow down approaching stop signs and roundabouts so you won't get rear-ended...be prepared to get blasted by other motorists, speed hogs in a big hurry to go nowhere. ;)

'Babes' in little buzzboxes are about the worst offenders, young men in 'fast cars' next worst, and people in SUVs next worst.

I've a good mind to put a hat on the rear hat tray. :)

Last edited:
A very long time ago, I had a chance to drive a friend's 1959 Porsche Spyder...

800px-1958_Porsche_356_1600_Super_coupe_%282010-07-05%29_03.jpg

...from the southwest German city of Mannheim, up to Amsterdam, around Christmastime...

No speed limits on the Autobahn for much of the way between Mannheim and Dusseldorf, until we veered northwest to cross the border into the Netherlands...

And a sportster-car that hugged the ground, steered like a dream, ultra-responsive, and doing 110-115 mph as easy as rolling off a log...

Now... 110 or 115 mph may not seem like very fast, to the speed-demons out there, but, with your butt low to the ground, in a small roadster, on dry winter roads, and no speed limits on the Autobahn, it was one of the most memorable drives of my life...

I'll be sad to see speed-governors put on Euro-cars, if that's actually gonna happen, and I understand the safety and life-saving issues, but...

Damn... that no-speed-limit thing on the Autobahn system for much of the trip up north was a goddamned blast for a young guy...

Mind you, it was a fairly old 'used car' by the time I saw it, but Porsche usually builds well, and this one had held-up well over the years, and was a joy to drive... fast...

< turns off 'Memory Lane' and gets back onto 'Today Road'
wink_smile.gif
>

Last edited:
A very long time ago, I had a chance to drive a friend's 1959 Porsche Spyder...

800px-1958_Porsche_356_1600_Super_coupe_%282010-07-05%29_03.jpg

...from the southwest German city of Mannheim, up to Amsterdam, around Christmastime...

No speed limits on the Autobahn for much of the way between Mannheim and Dusseldorf, until we veered northwest to cross the border into the Netherlands...

And a sportster-car that hugged the ground, steered like a dream, ultra-responsive, and doing 110-115 mph as easy as rolling off a log...

Now... 110 or 115 mph may not seem like very fast, to the speed-demons out there, but, with your butt low to the ground, in a small roadster, on dry winter roads, and no speed limits on the Autobahn, it was one of the most memorable drives of my life...

I'll be sad to see speed-governors put on Euro-cars, if that's actually gonna happen, and I understand the safety and life-saving issues, but...

Damn... that no-speed-limit thing on the Autobahn system for much of the trip up north was a goddamned blast for a young guy...

Mind you, it was a fairly old 'used car' by the time I saw it, but Porsche usually builds well, and this one had held-up well over the years, and was a joy to drive... fast...

< turns off 'Memory Lane' and gets back onto 'Today Road'
wink_smile.gif
>

In 1995 I drove a modified 5.0 Mustang GT from DusselDorf to Munchen. The only problem was brake. We drove 140 plus for miles and miles.

"...In 1995 I drove a modified 5.0 Mustang GT from DusselDorf to Munchen. The only problem was brake. We drove 140 plus for miles and miles."

Most of the American cars over there in the last half of the 20th belonged to GI's and some of our boys had some genuine ass-kickers that ate-up the Autobahn and blew-away a lot of the Euro cars, although every once in a while some Euro-BadAss left a GI's car eating dust.

The biggest problem driving over there was ground-fog and haze, and while our own folks (GIs, tourists) drove sensibly in that kind of soup, I've seen Euros doing' 80 and 90 and 100 mph and better when you couldn't see 200 feet in front of you - scary, silly bastids.

Which gets you spectacular 20 and 30 and 40 and 50 -car pile-ups, far more often than you hear about those, Stateside...

Still, and even though my own runs were not as fast as 140 mph, with my own car or somebody else's, I know that open-road high-speed feeling on the Autobahns, with nary a Polezei to give a fig how fast you're going, outside the towns.
thumbs_up.gif

Last edited:

Of course, if like me you have the hide to actually bring your vehicle to a complete stop at STOP signs, drive at the posted speed limits, and slow down approaching stop signs and roundabouts so you won't get rear-ended...be prepared to get blasted by other motorists, speed hogs in a big hurry to go nowhere. ;)

'Babes' in little buzzboxes are about the worst offenders, young men in 'fast cars' next worst, and people in SUVs next worst.

I know just what you mean!

Just yesterday I was awoken in the middle of my afternoon nap....just 'cause the light turned green.

That particular year was a heat wave in August so the weather was great. No fog or rain. We were hauling. We took the ferry over from Harwich to Amsterdam and drove due south from there.

The biggest problem driving over there was ground-fog and haze, and while our own folks (GIs, tourists) drove sensibly in that kind of soup, I've seen Euros doing' 80 and 90 and 100 mph and better when you couldn't see 200 feet in front of you - scary, silly bastids.

Probably why the govt man wants speed limiters.

Only ones who oppose this are the psychopath drivers and, of course, the auto industry. The car makers love speeders cause they cause crashes and car crashes mean car sales

EU plans to fit all cars with speed limiters - Telegraph

:49AM BST 01 Sep 2013
Under the proposals new cars would be fitted with cameras that could read road speed limit signs and automatically apply the brakes when this is exceeded.
Patrick McLoughlin, the Transport Secretary, is said to be opposed to the plans, which could also mean existing cars are sent to garages to be fitted with the speed limiters, preventing them from going over 70mph.
The new measures have been announced by the European Commission’s Mobility and Transport Department as a measure to reduce the 30,000 people who die on the roads in Europe every year.
A Government source told the Mail on Sunday Mr McLoughlin had instructed officials to block the move because they ‘violated’ motorists’ freedom. They said: “This has Big Brother written all over it and is exactly the sort of thing that gets people's backs up about Brussels

I oppose it on safety grounds.

What if there is a truck coming up behind you that lost its brakes, and you just passed a speed limit sign? Do you think the car hitting the brakes because it doesn't know about the truck is going to save lives?

I know just what you mean!

Just yesterday I was awoken in the middle of my afternoon nap....just 'cause the light turned green.

LOL

I have a 'young person's car', coupe decades old [young guys are always wanting to but it from me, last of the rear wheel drives] ...I bought it new.

One young woman blasted me... for stopping at a stop sign [the fine for not doing so is $300+]...then when we turned the corner she pulled up alongside me on the drivers side. I had the window down that day, she looked at me...about to give me some verbal abuse ...when she saw that I was 'older' with macho sunglasses :cool: , got a shock and took off in a hurry.

Also, 2 weeks ago I was driving in an unfamiliar suburb in the inner city.
I stopped completely at a stop sign, looked right...to discover a cop in a 'highway patrol' car parked near the corner, obviously waiting to catch people not stopping at the stop sign.
He didn't get me. ;)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back