Faith versus reason

Of, if God is real - and the salvation plan depends on your life for eternity, is gambling your 80 or so years here worth it?
That indeed could be true. Somehow the god described by most religions strikes me more as a person than a god.
And kind of an asshole

From a flawed human mindset....
The Abrahamic God is a fucked up psychopath.

In your imperfect mind and opinion....
Some people like Hitler too.

I feel that I am here for a reason, God is the reason I'm here.
I can choose to accept that and use prayer to connect with Him to guide my life
Or go my own way (free will) and do my own thing....

I have been "many people" in my life, but what I really am is determined by God.
Not others.
But I do have one choice. Who is my God. Me? or Him?

That indeed could be true. Somehow the god described by most religions strikes me more as a person than a god.
And kind of an asshole

You have to be open minded to all possibilities to learn and grow.... you have made up your mind, and just are talking to demean

I dont think there is any harm in believing in a god as long as you dont hurt others due to your belief. I read somewhere that people that have faith in something tend be calmer and more effective in their daily lives.

You do realize that "love" is really just a mix of chemicals produced by the brain dont you? What is the rationale in complicating the issue by introducing not only some invisible person but a set of contradictory laws and commandments that are going to be broken and make you live in perceptual fear of going to hell?

From my perspective we are using a brain, and it does not make us who we are. Actually I have had a lifelong battle with my brain chemistry as I am a diagnosed schizophrenic. But all my experience tells me that I am the thinker, not my brain. The brain is just a load of porridge and we can ultimately overcome the brains processes.
What kind of experience do you have that tells you your brain is not doing the thinking?

I was in a meditation society for some time and found that I could still my thoughts even when my brain chemistry was a raging mess. I could transcend the chemical chaos and eventually I stopped taking medication and studied electronics. I went from mentally disturbed to using my mind to solve electronic problems for a living.

And kind of an asshole

You have to be open minded to all possibilities to learn and grow.... you have made up your mind, and just are talking to demean
This world would benefit from a lot more reason and a lot less faith.

You do realize that "love" is really just a mix of chemicals produced by the brain dont you? What is the rationale in complicating the issue by introducing not only some invisible person but a set of contradictory laws and commandments that are going to be broken and make you live in perceptual fear of going to hell?

From my perspective we are using a brain, and it does not make us who we are. Actually I have had a lifelong battle with my brain chemistry as I am a diagnosed schizophrenic. But all my experience tells me that I am the thinker, not my brain. The brain is just a load of porridge and we can ultimately overcome the brains processes.
What kind of experience do you have that tells you your brain is not doing the thinking?

I was in a meditation society for some time and found that I could still my thoughts even when my brain chemistry was a raging mess. I could transcend the chemical chaos and eventually I stopped taking medication and studied electronics. I went from mentally disturbed to using my mind to solve electronic problems for a living.
Sounds like you tapped into a way to control the chemicals in your brain. I meditate daily and the power of it doing so is just like praying.

I think you need faith. Without it you lose hope. I think too much reason results in people being cold and results in people like Hitler.

Russia tried to stamp out faith to impose communist ideology. They locked little old ladies in mental hospitals for believing in God, and gave them aversion therapy using drugs to make them feel sick. At the end of it they let the little old ladies out of hospitals, and they went back to church.

Isn't it better to have faith in God rather than deny yourself the comfort of belief because cold reason tells you there is no such being. To put it another way, do intellectuals outsmart themselves by finding reasons to deny the existence of God when simple people can just feel love in their hearts and be convinced there is a God by that.
It's possible there's a creator and maybe even an afterlife. If there is, he/she/it/they are certainly nothing like what has ever been described by any human religion.

We have finite minds, and the creator of the known universe and all that's in it cannot be that small.
So all our religions are just an attempt by men to get a handle on the infinite, which is doomed from the start.
Religious theology is bound to fall short of true understanding. Especially when men exploit theology for their own ends, and lie about being messengers.

All that is true and happens, but it doesn't mean all beliefs are Untrue... perhaps, misinterpreted.
Which is why faith and obedience to God is critical.

I think you need faith. Without it you lose hope. I think too much reason results in people being cold and results in people like Hitler.

.... because in his mind, he WAS God.

People want to be their own "God" - but the problem is, they know they are fallible - so they realize they can not even trust or have faith in themselves.

This creates friction within your own mind and leads to madness ultimately....

Forum List

Back