Florida redistricting illegally favors Republicans

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Florida redistricting illegally favors Republicans, judge rules*-*Los Angeles Times

Florida judge ruled the state's congressional district map invalid Thursday night, saying it violates constitutional provisions that require fair districts and instead favors Republicans..

In a scathing opinion, Leon County Circuit Judge Terry P. Lewis ruled in Tallahassee that the Legislature's Republican political consultants had "made a mockery" of the redistricting process, tainting it with "partisan intent."

Color me shocked

Last edited:
Lewis said that the districts, drawn by the Republican-controlled Legislature after the 2010 census, flouted voter-passed constitutional amendments intended to eliminate gerrymandering - that is, often-bizarre and irregular lines that make a district safe for one party or the other.

Gerrymandering "has been criticized as allowing, in effect, the representatives to choose their voters instead of vice versa," he wrote.

Florida voters passed the so-called Fair Districts Amendments in 2010 in an effort to eliminate districts that purposely favored one party or the other. But the power to draw the lines remained with legislators.

The same year, California voters passed Proposition 20, a constitutional amendment that took the power to draw district lines away from the Legislature and gave it to the Citizens Redistricting Commission.

In his 41-page ruling, Lewis said Republicans who controlled the Legislature redrew the districts with "improper partisan intent" in 2012 and went to great lengths to conceal their motives.

"They might have successfully concealed their plan and their actions from the public" if a coalition of voters and the League of Women Voters of Florida had not filed suit, Lewis wrote

Last edited:
Lewis said that the districts, drawn by the Republican-controlled Legislature after the 2010 census, flouted voter-passed constitutional amendments intended to eliminate gerrymandering - that is, often-bizarre and irregular lines that make a district safe for one party or the other.

Gerrymandering "has been criticized as allowing, in effect, the representatives to choose their voters instead of vice versa," he wrote.

Florida voters passed the so-called Fair Districts Amendments in 2010 in an effort to eliminate districts that purposely favored one party or the other. But the power to draw the lines remained with legislators.

The same year, California voters passed Proposition 20, a constitutional amendment that took the power to draw district lines away from the Legislature and gave it to the Citizens Redistricting Commission.

In his 41-page ruling, Lewis said Republicans who controlled the Legislature redrew the districts with "improper partisan intent" in 2012 and went to great lengths to conceal their motives.

"They might have successfully concealed their plan and their actions from the public" if a coalition of voters and the League of Women Voters of Florida had not filed suit, Lewis wrote

The violet district in the image below is a classic:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...8CD3FD2E78D4D82AA1E6F39322549&selectedIndex=2

ooooooh what a shame !!

what the fuck did your dimwit dummycrats do to Lt Col Allen West in their redistricting scheme ??? HUH ?????????????

when it is done to your side you whine like a five dollar whore who only got two bucks for her service. :up:

I hate gerrymandering on both sides. There has to be a way to evenly split districts. Unfortunately this is likely not to change but it should be done in a non partisan way.

Districts should only be drawn by non partisan committees...better yet, there has got to be a computer program that could create district boundaries in a non partisan way.

Come on Apple, where's the app for that?

Ever see Barney Fag's district? Please.

He WAS in the 4th District...

th

no comparison

NE-Florida-Congressional-Districts-map.jpg

Florida redistricting illegally favors Republicans, judge rules*-*Los Angeles Times

Florida judge ruled the state's congressional district map invalid Thursday night, saying it violates constitutional provisions that require fair districts and instead favors Republicans..

In a scathing opinion, Leon County Circuit Judge Terry P. Lewis ruled in Tallahassee that the Legislature's Republican political consultants had "made a mockery" of the redistricting process, tainting it with "partisan intent."

Color me shocked

Perry carved up Texas so bad all the Democrats have to go to Santa Fe NM and vote with the Pueblo Indians.

Color me shocked

According to the Constitution the states are allowed to draw up Congressional districts. Look how blue state Dem's fuck Republicans. Absolutely irrelevant post.

Color me shocked

You ever see how Illinois is districted? It's disgusting. Just look at the worst Congressman in Congress, a traitor and a man I don't call an America - Luis Gutierrez. They constantly rig his district so this fucking scum-bag can remain in power.

IL04_109.gif

Color me shocked

Yes, shocking. Like the previous lines drawn specifically for Debbie Wasserman-Schultz in South Florida; a more secure liberal Democratic district could not be drawn...

FL20_109.gif

I hate gerrymandering on both sides. There has to be a way to evenly split districts. Unfortunately this is likely not to change but it should be done in a non partisan way.

Agreed, yet both parties gerrymander or attempt to do so.

Color me shocked

You ever see how Illinois is districted? It's disgusting. Just look at the worst Congressman in Congress, a traitor and a man I don't call an America - Luis Gutierrez. They constantly rig his district so this fucking scum-bag can remain in power.

IL04_109.gif

I'm willing to end all gerrymandering....are you?

Color me shocked

IL04_109.gif

I'm willing to end all gerrymandering....are you?

It depends; who will be selecting the "independent" "non-partisan" committees?

Forum List

Back