Gettin corruption out of our government

RandomVariable

VIP Member
Jan 7, 2014
Left, Right, and Center. Get them out of our government.

California senator charged in big corruption case - Houston Chronicle
A California state senator was charged Friday with accepting $100,000 in bribes, lavish trips and no-show jobs for his children in exchange for pushing legislation to benefit a hospital engaged in billing fraud and participating in a film industry tax scheme that actually was an FBI sting.

The 24-count federal indictment against Sen. Ron Calderon, a Democrat from a politically prominent family in Los Angeles' blue-collar suburbs, depicts a rogue legislator eager to trade his clout at the state Capitol to enrich himself and his family. His brother Tom, a former state lawmaker-turned-lobbyist, was charged with money-laundering for funneling bribes through a tax-exempt group he controlled, prosecutors said.

Getting* That was suppose to be "Getting corruption out of our government" Sometime I intentionally leave off the 'g' but that wasn't one of them.

Nice idea but how would you expect such a thing to happen when the majority of the people hold the state to a completely different set of morals than they do to individuals? Lying, Cheating, Theft, Murder, Rape... all morally acceptable for the state, immoral for the citizenry...bassackwards world we live in. :cool:

Short of using FAEs or nukes the only effective way to reduce corruption is to move the capital. Two moves does equal a fire.

Nice idea but how would you expect such a thing to happen when the majority of the people hold the state to a completely different set of morals than they do to individuals? Lying, Cheating, Theft, Murder, Rape... all morally acceptable for the state, immoral for the citizenry...bassackwards world we live in. :cool:

This a role the FBI is suppose to be performing. Somehow I find it these instances are as rare as the indictments.

not really. how many corrupt officials are needed combined with naivete to supply an endless stream of corruption trials? 1% or even 0.1%? 0.1% would provide nearly one major investigation per month just among elected officials at the federal, state and cities of one million or more. add in the much larger number of bureaucrats and it is amazing that we don't have major scandals on a daily basis.

The American public is not stupid. They know this kind of thing happens all the time. When there are no indictments they know laws apply to us but not to them.

This a role the FBI is suppose to be performing. Somehow I find it these instances are as rare as the indictments.

Sorry No, the FBI is an apparatus of an immoral state and thus cannot hold the state to any acceptable moral standards, only the people can do that (once we get done fighting among ourselves over petty squabbles).

Sorry No, the FBI is an apparatus of an immoral state and thus cannot hold the state to any acceptable moral standards, only the people can do that (once we get done fighting among ourselves over petty squabbles).

Isn't the media suppose to be doing "investigative reporting"?

When they have so much to sell, how does it become surprising that politicians get bought?

What they are selling happens to be our country.
OK.

Do you stand against politicians selling our country all the time, or only when your disfavored political party has power?

From the OP in the quoted text:
The 24-count federal indictment against Sen. Ron Calderon, a Democrat from a politically prominent family in Los Angeles' blue-collar suburbs...

Something odd occurred to me some time after I created this thread. When the news story broke I grabbed the top listed headline on Google news and posted this thread. Now it does seem odd that that the FBI has been able to find amazingly few corruption cases around the country and when it does it is a Democratic State Senator in California. Not just any California Democratic State Senator but, to quote the article, "The charges come after a long-running corruption investigation that has tarnished the state's majority party — Democrats hold every statewide office and control both chambers in the Legislature. The charges also threaten the patriarchs of a family that rose to political prominence from the heavily Hispanic, working-class communities southeast of Los Angeles.". Now while all this is odd there is just one other coincidence that seems quite peculiar. The source of the article is the The Houston Chronicle. Now how is it that a news agency in Texas, Houston of all places, is the first to spread this news out across the airwaves (so to speak)? Anyone who thinks voting this November is unimportant had better wake up and smell the corruption, and I am not just talking about State Senators. People need to get out and vote like their democracy depends on it. It does.

Forum List

Back