Glacial Cycles are Driven by Northern Hemisphere Glaciation and Deglaciation

ding

Confront reality
Oct 25, 2016
The following graphic shows the maximum and minimum areal extent of glaciation at each polar region. The maximum extent occurs during glacial periods. The minimum extent occurs during interglacial periods.

The areal extent of glaciation at the northern pole varies a great deal. The areal extent of glaciation at the southern pole does not vary much.

1724979660099.png

A few questions to ask yourselves...

Why does glaciation of the northern polar region vary so much?
Why does glaciation of the southern polar region vary so little?
What does the different extent of glaciation of each pole tell us about the planet's climate?

Glacial cycles are driven by northern hemisphere glaciation and deglaciation.

The north pole is over water.
The south pole is over land.
With respect to the 30 glacial cycles (glacial and interglacial periods) that have occurred over the last 3 million years, which polar region was responsible for the climate changes?

Why does glaciation of the northern polar region vary so much?
Why does glaciation of the southern polar region vary so little?

Wasn't this the subject of another recent thread? I know the answer but as I recall, someone else was supposed to answer it but never did.

But the question I would ask here is whether the northern hemisphere is the /driver/ of glaciation cycles or whether it is merely the most susceptible respondent to external glaciation pressures.

Wasn't this the subject of another recent thread? I know the answer but as I recall, someone else was supposed to answer it but never did.

But the question I would ask here is whether the northern hemisphere is the /driver/ of glaciation cycles or whether it is merely the most susceptible respondent to external glaciation pressures.
When the northern hemisphere glaciates, the planet cools? No?

When the northern hemisphere deglaciates the planet warms? No?

So given that the northern hemisphere is deglaciating today, is it a surprise the planet is warming?

The north pole is over water.
The south pole is over land.

Then ask yourself this:
  1. What function do all of the continent land masses of the noth have on effecting glaciation since the surface of land masses freeze over much more quickly and easily than open water.
  2. The southern hemisphere is mostly open water with only south America and the south of Africa in it; how does this inhibit southern glaciation?
  3. How does the circumpolar current around Antarctica affect glaciation.
  4. And lastly, since continental surfaces freeze over first and easiest (thus reflecting heat into space encouraging a runaway effect), and Antarctica is the coldest place on earth, doesn't it seem that this would make it /easier/ for glaciation to begin in the south?
  5. Also, since the north tilts toward the Sun in summer at the aphelion of the orbit while the south tilts towards the sun during the perihelion of the Earth's orbit (closest point to the Sun), how does this factor into the Earth's glaciation patterns?

Forum List

Back