Good Books on Libertarianism?

Well in that case, make sure you look at the Literature page on the Mises Institute.

Literature Library: free books from the Ludwig von Mises Institute

Just about any book you could want on libertarianism is there for free download in PDF or ebook files.

What Kevin says is true. All the best literature on libertarianism is there. Several are available as audio downloads.
I'd start you off with Albert Nock's Our Enemy the State, followed by Frank Chodorov's One is a Crowd.

There are tons of authors on the subject. More often than not, I find the ones that put hisotrical record into its place to be the most valuable. A glance at these boards alone shows a plethora of misinformation regarding history when it comes to the state.

My personal favorite authors include:

Ludwig von Mises
Murray Rothbard
Hayeck
Henry Hazlitt
Yuri N. Maltsev (requiem for Marx)

And a host of others.

Libertarian concepts are the same concepts that our founding fathers used to create the constitution. If you read the Federalist Papers you can see that the Libertarians want to return to that concept - or as close as we can come to it in today's world.

Bump.

I never do that, normally, but I really want suggestions for reading about Libertarianism.

Make sure you research both sides of the story. Just reading pro-libertarian books will give you a slanted view of the true issues.

Critiques Of Libertarianism

When are you going to start looking at both sides of the story instead of believing the drivel that confirms how stupid you are?

I've already started. Case in point, I put very little stock in your posts. Tread carefully, your post borders on violating the tenor of this forum. :nono:

Last edited:
Libertarian concepts are the same concepts that our founding fathers used to create the constitution. If you read the Federalist Papers you can see that the Libertarians want to return to that concept - or as close as we can come to it in today's world.
The Anti-Federalist papers are a better source of libertarian like views in the late 18th century.

I've called myself a libertarian for years -- since I became completely disillusioned with the Republican Party about 2006.

But I suddenly realized I didn't really know what that meant! I am now finishing up David Boaz' "Libertarianism" and --- I'm in love. I need another good book on Libertarianism, to read next.

Does anyone have a favorite, or suggestions?
Aldous Huxley's Brave New World

Yep. For 19th century stuff read Lysander Spooner. His No Treason had a huge impact on me.

The concept of a contract which nobody alive has signed up for is a good one to spring on the unsuspecting.

Contracts can exist regardless of whether you signed something. Try ordering a meal at a restaurant then refuse to pay because you didn't sign anything in advance. By remaining in a jurisdiction you implicitly agree to the social contract of the area. Don't like it? Move out.

Yep. For 19th century stuff read Lysander Spooner. His No Treason had a huge impact on me.

The concept of a contract which nobody alive has signed up for is a good one to spring on the unsuspecting.

Contracts can exist regardless of whether you signed something. Try ordering a meal at a restaurant then refuse to pay because you didn't sign anything in advance. By remaining in a jurisdiction you implicitly agree to the social contract of the area. Don't like it? Move out.

Ordering a meal at a restaurant is a contract, however. As for the rest:

Last edited by a moderator:

There is a difference between me ordering something and not paying for it and you saying I agreed to a contract just by being born. I am perfectly free to ignore any social contract without having to move, like the contract that everyone in Utah is a Mormon. That is the wonder of living in a free country.

Last edited:

There is a difference between me ordering something an not paying for it and you saying I agreed to a contract just by being born. I am perfectly free to ignore any social contract without having to move, like the contract that everyone in Utah is a Mormon. That is the wonder of living in a free country.

There really isn't much difference. Once you reach 18 you should know the rules and, if you stay, you acquiesce to them. It's a legal principle that you should research before posting.

Social Contract? I never signed no steenking social contract.

That argument and some of the following libertarian arguments are commonly quoted from Lysander Spooner.

The constitution and the laws are our written contracts with the government.

There are several explicit means by which people make the social contract with government. The commonest is when your parents choose your residency and/or citizenship after your birth. In that case, your parents or guardians are contracting for you, exercising their power of custody. No further explicit action is required on your part to continue the agreement, and you may end it at any time by departing and renouncing your citizenship.

Immigrants, residents, and visitors contract through the oath of citizenship (swearing to uphold the laws and constitution), residency permits, and visas. Citizens reaffirm it in whole or part when they take political office, join the armed forces, etc. This contract has a fairly common form: once entered into, it is implicitly continued until explicitly revoked. Many other contracts have this form: some leases, most utility services (such as phone and electricity), etc.

Some libertarians make a big deal about needing to actually sign a contract. Take them to a restaurant and see if they think it ethical to walk out without paying because they didn't sign anything. Even if it is a restaurant with a minimum charge and they haven't ordered anything. The restaurant gets to set the price and the method of contract so that even your presence creates a debt. What is a libertarian going to do about that? Create a regulation?

Critiques Of Libertarianism: A Non-Libertarian FAQ.

My god. Must it always come to the "if you dont like leave" argument with Statists? It's so tiring to run in their rusty, broken down hampster wheel on the subject. It's as if repeating the same assertion over and over again will somehow give it validity.

It's a waste of time to argue with a Statist on the social contract. You're not going to change any minds, though you maty lose yours repeating yourself endlessly.

I would recommend two great readings from many decades ago.

Robert Ringer's NY Times best sellers of the late 1970's entitled, "Looking Out for Number One," and "Winning Through Intimidation." Which are really a play on words for what he talks about within.

Social Contract? I never signed no steenking social contract.

That argument and some of the following libertarian arguments are commonly quoted from Lysander Spooner.

The constitution and the laws are our written contracts with the government.

There are several explicit means by which people make the social contract with government. The commonest is when your parents choose your residency and/or citizenship after your birth. In that case, your parents or guardians are contracting for you, exercising their power of custody. No further explicit action is required on your part to continue the agreement, and you may end it at any time by departing and renouncing your citizenship.

Immigrants, residents, and visitors contract through the oath of citizenship (swearing to uphold the laws and constitution), residency permits, and visas. Citizens reaffirm it in whole or part when they take political office, join the armed forces, etc. This contract has a fairly common form: once entered into, it is implicitly continued until explicitly revoked. Many other contracts have this form: some leases, most utility services (such as phone and electricity), etc.

Some libertarians make a big deal about needing to actually sign a contract. Take them to a restaurant and see if they think it ethical to walk out without paying because they didn't sign anything. Even if it is a restaurant with a minimum charge and they haven't ordered anything. The restaurant gets to set the price and the method of contract so that even your presence creates a debt. What is a libertarian going to do about that? Create a regulation?

Critiques Of Libertarianism: A Non-Libertarian FAQ.

This assumes that the government owns everything, which is nonsense. No number of people have the right to put restrictions and conditions on property that I own, unless of course I don't actually own it and they are, in fact, the rightful owners. In other words, they can't say, "Well, you own property in this arbitrarily defined set of borders so you have to pay us a toll, or we'll throw you in a cage." They have no right because it is my property. The restaurant analogy is not applicable because somebody else owns the restaurant. So, by entering their property, taking up space on their property, and eating their property, I have explicitly, not implicitly, agreed to pay them for this privilege. This is a contract.

This idea of a social contract that I implicitly agree to, despite explicitly stating that I do not (No means no), implies that the government is the rightful owner of everything. I don't think there are many people that believe that's the case.

Last edited:

Spooner, although excellent at articulating his points, was a self proclaimed anarchist.

Indeed he was. He was a Individualist Anarchist. I an Anarcho Capitalist...I agree with the man...to bad his ideas never came true...would love to see a mass movement based on his writings.

I've called myself a libertarian for years -- since I became completely disillusioned with the Republican Party about 2006.

But I suddenly realized I didn't really know what that meant! I am now finishing up David Boaz' "Libertarianism" and --- I'm in love. I need another good book on Libertarianism, to read next.

Does anyone have a favorite, or suggestions?

You can't go wrong with the classics;

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Man-Economy-State-Murray-Rothbard/dp/0945466323]Man, Economy, and State: Murray N. Rothbard: 9780945466321: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Forum List

Back