Greatest French, But No Napoleon!

padisha emperor said:
Sure.
The inhabitants of the french Vietnam were not French lke the "real" French. They belong to the French Empire, but were still vietnamese.
Here we agree totally.

So,I apologize if I understood you badly.

That's all I'm trying to say about Napoleon. I'm not trying to discredit him....yet. :D Kidding.
Relax, don't ruin a perfectly good discussion by getting defensive. I found his Corsican roots, and invovlment with their independence interesting, and worthy of discussion. If I thought Napoleon was a moron, I would have stated that several posts up. :p:

PS: Do you know what a puhtoon is? That's french Canadian slang for ass (to put it nicely). :D

some people on Corsica today still fight the French occupation.

Crazy but true

No

Some people in Corsica today fight against the French. But it is not an occupation.
Corsica is in France since more time than Nice.

It was an occupation, fater the introduction of Corsica in the French royal territory. But now, it is not at all an occupation.

But if you say this word because FOR THEM, for these independantists, it is an occupation, ok, here we agree. But in the facts, it is not an occupation (it would be like I say that some people fight the US occupation in Delaware ;) )

It is the same thing than in North Ireland, except that the IRA or the North Ireland independance groups have probably more legitimity than the Corsican (I'm not for the IRA, don't understand badly my words)

And like everywhere, in such situations, the miority does that people speak of it (of the minority), and the large majority, who want to stay french, like their parents since 2 centuries and more, feel that some people think everybody want to be independant in Corsica. Sad but true, to quote James Hetfield ;)

padisha emperor said:
No

Some people in Corsica today fight against the French. But it is not an occupation.

It was an occupation, fater the introduction of Corsica in the French royal territory. But now, it is not at all an occupation.

But if you say this word because FOR THEM, for these independantists, it is an occupation, ok, here we agree. But in the facts, it is not an occupation (it would be like I say that some people fight the US occupation in Delaware ;) )

It is the same thing than in North Ireland, except that the IRA or the North Ireland independance groups have probably more legitimity than the Corsican (I'm not for the IRA, don't understand badly my words)

And like everywhere, in such situations, the miority does that people speak of it (of the minority), and the large majority, who want to stay french, like their parents since 2 centuries and more, feel that some people think everybody want to be independant in Corsica. Sad but true, to quote James Hetfield ;)

OK, so the Irish shouldn't have independence?

Geez these people have had more problems than the Irish, not an easy accomplishment:

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/world/A0857585.html

History
After having belonged to the Romans (3d cent. B.C.–5th cent. A.D.), the Vandals, the Byzantines, and the Lombards, the island was granted (late 8th cent.) by the Franks to the papacy. It was threatened by the Arabs from c.800 to 1100. In 1077, Pope Gregory VII ceded Corsica to Pisa. Pisa and Genoa, later Genoa and Aragón, battled for control. In the mid-15th cent. actual administration of the island was taken up by the Bank of San Giorgio in Genoa. Genoese rule was harsh and unpopular, and unrest was typified by the 1730s episode of “King” Theodore I (see Neuhof, Theodor, Baron von).

In 1755, Pasquale Paoli headed a rebellion against Genoa, but its success resulted only in the cession (1768) of Corsica to France. One consequence of the transfer was the French citizenship of Napoleon I, who was born in 1769 at Ajaccio. With British support Paoli expelled the French in 1793, and in 1794 Corsica voted its union with the British crown. The French (under Napoleon) recovered it, however, in 1796, and French possession was guaranteed at the Congress of Vienna (1815). French rule brought education and relative order, but economic life remained agrarian and primitive.

In World War II, Corsica was occupied by Italian and German troops. Late in 1943 the population revolted, and, joined by a Free French task force, drove Axis forces out. A postwar population exodus caused the French government to announce a program of economic development. In 1958 a right-wing coup, similar to that in Algeria, contributed to the return to power in France of Charles de Gaulle. Since the French took control in 1768, Corsica has seen separatist movements, with repeated incidents of violence, notably the Feb., 1998, assassination of the French prefect. Beginning in the 1990s the roles of true nationalists and of criminal gangs appeared to blur. In 2001, France's parliament voted to give the island's regional parliament power to amend some national legislation and regulations and to permit the Corsican language to be taught in schools, but the amending of national laws by regional parliaments was declared unconstitutional. In 2003, after constitutional amendments permitting greater local autonomy were approved, a referendum on autonomy was held, but Corsican voters narrowly defeated it.

Said1 said:
Gee whiz Kathianne, all you did was prove Napoleon really was fench ...... on paper. Which is the same as being french, but it isn't the same, but it the same, but isn't the same. :D

Not unlike French Canadians who are only Canadian on paper too.

Damn, if I didn't like you so much Said1, I'd have to :slap: you! LOL

padisha emperor said:
No

You do know autonomy does not mean independance right?

The last sentence prooves that the majority of the population is happy of the actual sitation, and that the independantists are really a little part. But as it says, they are able to murder the Prefect (representant of the State in the departement). It would be like some people kill a governor in the USA (not the same functions, but both are really important)

For Ireland : the Republic of Ireland, the Eire, should had and have it independance, of course.
For the North Ireland, the Ulster, I think that the population should make a referendum : for staying British or Join the Eire ?
It would be good.
The thing i disaprrove is the way of IRA : attempts. It is like in Corsica, but not at the same scale : the attempts are more horrible in Ulster.
There is also differences of religion : Ireland is catholic, UK anglican.
and difference of culture.

I never said that the Irish shouldn't have their independance, for those who are in Eire. but for those who are in Ulster, on the paper, they're British. SO, a referendum would be not bad, then the Crown would see and decide. but UK would probably never drop Ireland : would USA drop Alaska or Hawaii ?

Not unlike French Canadians who are only Canadian on paper too

Racism against French Canadians ? Sad for you, Martin and lot of former Prime Minister like Chretien or Trudeau were French Canandians, n'est ce pas ?

You do know autonomy does not mean independance right?

Sure.
and the Corsicans refuse this bigger autonomy with their negative answer to the referendum.

Autonomy is the first step to the way of independance, but it is different from it.

why are you telling it to me ?

padisha emperor said:
The last sentence prooves that the majority of the population is happy of the actual sitation, and that the independantists are really a little part. But as it says, they are able to murder the Prefect (representant of the State in the departement). It would be like some people kill a governor in the USA (not the same functions, but both are really important)

For Ireland : the Republic of Ireland, the Eire, should had and have it independance, of course.
For the North Ireland, the Ulster, I think that the population should make a referendum : for staying British or Join the Eire ?
It would be good.
The thing i disaprrove is the way of IRA : attempts. It is like in Corsica, but not at the same scale : the attempts are more horrible in Ulster.
There is also differences of religion : Ireland is catholic, UK anglican.
and difference of culture.

I never said that the Irish shouldn't have their independance, for those who are in Eire. but for those who are in Ulster, on the paper, they're British. SO, a referendum would be not bad, then the Crown would see and decide. but UK would probably never drop Ireland : would USA drop Alaska or Hawaii ?

Racism against French Canadians ? Sad for you, Martin and lot of former Prime Minister like Chretien or Trudeau were French Canandians, n'est ce pas ?

pe said:
majority of the population is happy of the actual sitation

infoplease said:
In 2003, after constitutional amendments permitting greater local autonomy were approved, a referendum on autonomy was held, but Corsican voters narrowly defeated it.
Cool then you understand that a majority of Americans endorsed GW and the Iraq war last November...

padisha emperor said:

Paul Martin is not french, although bilingualism is a pre-requisit for any PM in this country. Why would telling you that hundreds of thousands of Quebecers think of themselves as Canadian second be derogitory? It's true, what do you think the seperatist movement is all about? And just so you know, Trudeau and Chretien were not seperatists, they were strongly against it as can be seen when looking at both referendums. Nice try at whatever your point was. NOt that I hide my true feelings about frenchmen. :rolleyes:

And I will ask again, do you know the difference between autonomy and independence? Quebec was granted full autonomy, has Corsica been given this by France? And could you direct me to any peace agreements between Corsica and France, preferably dated before the 20th century.

padisha emperor said:
Sure.
and the Corsicans refuse this bigger autonomy with their negative answer to the referendum.

Autonomy is the first step to the way of independance, but it is different from it.

why are you telling it to me ?

What did the referendum entail aside from protecting their Corsican language and heritage?

Kathianne, why do you copare the No to the Corsiac referendum and the re-election of GW Bush ?

said, you look like to don't like the French Canadian. I thought that behind thisterm, it was the inhabitants of the Quebec, who speak french. do you understand my answetr now ? If the french Canadians are for you the separatists, it is sure that there is a miscomprehension.

Quebec was granted full autonomy, has Corsica been given this by France?
For France and Corsica : France tried to give a larger autonomy to Corsica, but the inhabitants of the Island (Corsica is an island, if you were ignored it - yes, i'm arrogant, but you know, i'm French - ), the inhabitants of Corsica REFUSED. They voted NO.

but nice try anyway.

For the Corsica-France relation before the XXth : in the XIXth. But Corsica was French also, so it doesn't count, I think.

and, you should learn the link of Kathianne,about the history of the island : occupation by the Franks (so, the French) but they gave it to the Pope. And after, the masters of the Island were Pisa, Aragon, Genoa...and finally, France.

So, there was never an independant State of Corsica : it was always occupied by countries. SO, if there is a peace agreement betwwen france and Corsica, it is in reality between France and the master of the Island, then Aragon, Pisa, Genoa.
Genoa gave Corsica to France : one peace agreement. And after, the island is french.

Any other question ?

padisha emperor said:
Kathianne, why do you copare the No to the Corsiac referendum and the re-election of GW Bush ?

said, you look like to don't like the French Canadian. I thought that behind thisterm, it was the inhabitants of the Quebec, who speak french. do you understand my answetr now ? If the french Canadians are for you the separatists, it is sure that there is a miscomprehension.

For France and Corsica : France tried to give a larger autonomy to Corsica, but the inhabitants of the Island (Corsica is an island, if you were ignored it - yes, i'm arrogant, but you know, i'm French - ), the inhabitants of Corsica REFUSED. They voted NO.

but nice try anyway.

For the Corsica-France relation before the XXth : in the XIXth. But Corsica was French also, so it doesn't count, I think.

and, you should learn the link of Kathianne,about the history of the island : occupation by the Franks (so, the French) but they gave it to the Pope. And after, the masters of the Island were Pisa, Aragon, Genoa...and finally, France.

So, there was never an independant State of Corsica : it was always occupied by countries. SO, if there is a peace agreement betwwen france and Corsica, it is in reality between France and the master of the Island, then Aragon, Pisa, Genoa.
Genoa gave Corsica to France : one peace agreement. And after, the island is french.

Any other question ?

PE, you never fail to fall short of my low estimation of you:

In 2003, after constitutional amendments permitting greater local autonomy were approved, a referendum on autonomy was held, but Corsican voters narrowly defeated it.
You take this as an endorsement, but not GW margin that was significantly larger, if you took stats 100.

padisha emperor said:
sorry, I didn't understand your question ?

can you explain to me ?
I understand the main idea, but not exactly the meaning.

It all still means that Napolean hung around France enough to be a pompous ass.

Forum List

Back