Guard Donkeys

Grumblenuts

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2017
It happens around here. Livestock attacks. Not much cattle anymore, but still plenty of chickens, ducks, sheep, rabbits.. Foxes and coyotes are more plentiful than ever. Hear them almost every night.

I have heard donkeys are great guard dogs (animals). In fact it seems I saw a you tube with a donkey kicking a coyote or a wolf goofey. to protect chickens.

Yea, look what happens when donkeys guard America.

democrat-donkey-mascot-thumbs-up-cartoon-aloysius-patrimonio.jpg

It happens around here. Livestock attacks. Not much cattle anymore, but still plenty of chickens, ducks, sheep, rabbits.. Foxes and coyotes are more plentiful than ever. Hear them almost every night.
Absolutely. A friend of mine had two guard donkeys: they bray at predators and kick. Hers were killed with five ewes under a big tree in a lightning storm!!

We used a guard llama for years. He was EXCELLENT. We had a bulldozer doing something in the field once and Monterey rounded up all his sheep into a corner of the field and then walked to the front of the flock and faced the bulldozer! I was very proud of him. He was a good guard llama.

I worked with a company that used goats to clear overgrown land, both home owners and commercial properties.

Coyotes are a huge problem for them in Atlanta. We used both Great Pyrenee dogs and donkeys. The donkeys did great at keeping predators away. But damn they were hard to herd.

The feds were rounding up so many wild horses and donkeys that they couldn't handle them so they figured out a selling gimmick. Maybe it worked.

The feds were rounding up so many wild horses and donkeys that they couldn't handle them so they figured out a selling gimmick. Maybe it worked.
They did, or someone did --- a lot of donkeys, including INCREDIBLY cute burro colts were sent around to people with land and horses all over. I didn't take any, but I knew at least two people who did. But it's not a gimmick --- both donkeys and llamas make truly great guard animals. They're just not having any.

They did, or someone did --- a lot of donkeys, including INCREDIBLY cute burro colts were sent around to people with land and horses all over. I didn't take any, but I knew at least two people who did. But it's not a gimmick --- both donkeys and llamas make truly great guard animals. They're just not having any.

They worked great with the goats I worked with. Never lost any babies.

The only reason I preferred the dogs was that they kept the predators outside the temporary fencing we used. The donkeys would beat the hell out of any intruder. But there was a still a hole dug or a break in the fence.

Forum List

Back