Guess Who Proposed These Social Security and Medicare Reforms in the 1960s?

mikegriffith1

Mike Griffith
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 23, 2012
Virginia
Guess which political party formally proposed these liberal-sounding reforms for Social Security and Medicare? The answer will surprise you. I quote directly from the party's platform:

Social Security

1. An immediate increase in Social Security payments with a goal of a 60% increase in benefits.

2. An increase in the minimum payment to $100, with annual cost of living increases. [$100 in the 1960s equals about $900 today.]

3. Restoration of the 100% income tax deduction for drugs and medical expenses paid out by people 65 and over.

4. Removal of the earnings limitation of people 65 and over in order that they may earn any amount of additional income.

Medicare

1. Relief to persons unable to pay deductible charges under Medicare.

2. Relief to persons unable to have deducted from their Social Security checks the monthly fee for physician service coverage under Medicare.

3. Providing for uninterrupted nursing home care for those with chronic illness who require such care.

4. We will encourage low-cost insurance programs for the elderly and will assist the states and local communities in building hospitals, nursing homes, clinics as well as medical and nursing schools.

In this land of plenty, no one should be denied adequate medical care because of his financial condition.

Believe it or not, these proposals were made by the American Independent Party in 1968, the party whose presidential candidate was Governor George Wallace and whose VP candidate was General Curtis LeMay (Ret.) (LINK).

Wallace won five states and 46 Electoral College votes. He also got over 30% of the vote in South Carolina and North Carolina, over 20% of the vote in Florida and Virginia, and over 10% of the vote in Texas, Ohio, Missouri, Michigan, Nevada, Delaware, and Idaho.

Last edited:
Democrat administrations routinely stole money from the FICA fund right after it was established until LBJ made it "official" that Social Security taxes were part of the government's general fund. There is no locked box, only promises.

Democrat administrations routinely stole money from the FICA fund right after it was established until LBJ made it "official" that Social Security taxes were part of the government's general fund. There is no locked box, only promises.

There never has been a lock box for Social Security revenue. By law, since the 1930s, all Social Security surplus funds must be invested only in U.S. Treasury securities, and the two trust funds that pay SS benefits have never been part of the federal government's general fund.

This being said, the SS Administration has acknowledged that in about 11 years, SS revenue will only cover about 75% of SS benefit payments (LINK). What are our leaders doing about this? Right now, NOTHING.

I was not old enough to vote in 1968. But, knowing what I know now, if I could go back in time and vote in that election, I would probably vote for Humphrey.

Last edited:
There never has been a lock box for Social Security revenue. By law, since the 1930s, all Social Security surplus funds must be invested only in U.S. Treasury securities, and the two trust funds that pay SS benefits have never been part of the federal government's general fund.

This being said, the SS Administration has acknowledged that in about 11 years, SS revenue will only cover about 75% of SS benefit payments (LINK). What are our leaders doing about this? Right now, NOTHING.

I was not old enough to vote in 1968. But, knowing what I know now, if I could go back in time and vote in that election, I would probably vote for Humphrey.
Blame Nixon? Humphrey and the democrats were part of the problem. LBJ proved that.

Forum List

Back