Has anyone here done any gold panning?

Michigan Swampbuck

I have been panning around Michigan in areas where gold has been found before but I am a novice really. Could you describe how you went about choosing where to pan and if you found any gold, be it fine dust, flakes or nuggets? Also, what techniques did you use, like a sluice or rocker, or how you use the pan to concentrate the heavy materials?

I have been panning around Michigan in areas where gold has been found before but I am a novice really. Could you describe how you went about choosing where to pan and if you found any gold, be it fine dust, flakes or nuggets? Also, what techniques did you use, like a sluice or rocker, or how you use the pan to concentrate the heavy materials?
Nope. Been seeing vids on YouTube about it, though. I don't think anybody ever found gold in West Tennessee. I never knew there was gold in Michigan, until now.
1722391133482.jpeg

First thing you need is to find a good gold digger.

1722394175962.png

Location, location, location!!!

All depends on your area and laws/regulations, and active claims as to what you can do, where you can do it and what type of gold you might find.

Your best bet is to check into any prospectors clubs or groups in your area. Also check with GPAA (Gold Prospectors Assoc of America) for a local chapter. Either of these can be a tremendous help in answering your questions.

My late hubs used to go dredging. We'd find a little here & there, usually enough to pay for the trip. Mostly small flakes and a few small nuggets. Less than a 1/8 inch(?).

Things I've learned is this for panning rivers & creeks.......

1. Look for bedrock, better chance of gold in the area

2. Study the flow of the river, imagining where heavy material travels is probably where & how gold travels........if the creek or river has a bend or curve, then look to the outer edges.

3. Also look for any markers to show the highest water mark. Normally after spring thaws, the water level rises......and can possibly trap gold around rocks, trees, branches, etc that aren't even in the water later in the year.

4. While looking in the river to get material to pan, look around any large rocks and boulders........kinda like looking at how gold acts in a sluice, will be similar to a river

5. Black sand and small garnets are a good indicator of possible gold in the area.

6. Most important of all??? Don't go panning if you expect to get rich. You are better off going for a camping trip, and maybe do some panning while there.

I've never panned, but I know that key to finding real veins of gold is finding the right types of rock formations. Knowing how gold comes to the surface, it appears that where there is gold are first found veins of quartz.

Forum List

Back