Honesty Question

Bloodrock44

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Buzzard Gulch, NC
Just read an article in my hometown paper about a couple that has a booth at the local flea market. They were unloading items and one was a wood fireplace with a bar on top. They turned it over and the bar came off exposing a pouch. Opened the pouch and found over $50,000 in cash. They called the lady who had owned the fireplace and told her to come get the money. The lady did not know the money was there. She gave the couple a $200 reward, which I thought was pretty miserly. Question is: would you have called the lady and told her to come get the money? Here's the article:

Dave and Carol Hall were unloading their box-type truck of assorted items outside the Queen City Flea Market on Franklin Street on Friday morning without a clue that they were about to make the discovery of a lifetime.

As one of up to 50 vendors inside the North End flea market at the former Bennett Transfer building, the Short Gap, W.Va., couple sells furniture and assorted items daily.

Moving items in and out into the basement area of the three-story building is a routine occurrence.

Friday, unloading the truck suddenly became anything but routine.

“We went to unload our truck that we had loaded earlier in the week. There was a wooden fireplace with a bar on top and we turned it over to take it off the truck and saw a pouch sticking out of one of the corners,” said Carol Hall. “There was more than $50,000.

“We called the lady where we picked up the furniture and told her and she came down later in the morning and picked up her money. She doesn’t want her name in the paper,” said Carol Hall.

Roxanne Thompson, manager of the Queen City Market, saw the bundles of cash just after the Halls made the discovery.

“They told me what happened and I thought they were joking. I saw the money. They found $50,000. They were telling the truth,” said Thompson.

Carol Hall said the owner of the cash was pleasantly surprised when told about the money.

“We told her, ‘You better get down here and get it.’ We’re honest people,” said Carol Hall. “She was really nice. She gave us a cake and gave each of us $100. That was really nice.”

The Allegany County woman who is now $50,000 richer said, “I am so grateful they were honest and that’s why I felt a reward was due. This whole day has been more than I can take it. I’m just praising the Lord over the whole thing.

“It’s also pretty scary that I didn’t know the money was here. If there had been a fire, it would have been destroyed. Of course, I wouldn’t have known it was even here in that case.”

I have found money many times....and knew who it probably belonged to (I used to go to swap meets and yard sales all the time)...so yes. I would have returned it. BUT..if I were the lady that it was returned to, I would have given them half as a reward.

“It’s also pretty scary that I didn’t know the money was here. If there had been a fire, it would have been destroyed. Of course, I wouldn’t have known it was even here in that case.”

Which means it wasn't this woman's to begin with! They bought the piece fair and square, which included anything inside it. They should have kept the money. Not a damn thing dishonest about doing so. The truly honest thing would have been for the original owner, who had no idea of the money's existence, to tell the couple to keep it when they offered it to her.

I would have contacted the woman and asked if she had hidden anything in the item, and if the response was "no", I would assume it wasn't her money and would have kept it. And yes, a $200 reward on $50k is despicable. I would have given 10%.

I would have contacted the woman and asked if she had hidden anything in the item, and if the response was "no", I would assume it wasn't her money and would have kept it. And yes, a $200 reward on $50k is despicable. I would have given 10%.

Exactly what I was thinking.

^^^ this...

Though I might have demanded dinner.....

Blame Sunshine. I just read her post at the Coffee Shop about what she had to eat and I'm hungry.

:D

Because the money was never mine to begin with, I would try to find who it really belonged to. :) :) :)

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. I was once given 11 $100 bills at my job instead of 11 $1 bills by mistake and when I realized it, I gave the money back. :) :) :)

What they did was a good thing, I would have done the same, although I don't know about giving half of it to the couple...but, I would most definitely have given them way more than just a hundred bucks a piece...
gold13.gif

I would have ABSOLUTELY kept the money. It's interesting how there's a lot of people on this thread lying that they'd give it away. :dunno:

No, I am not lying...me being who I am I wouldn't have felt right in taking it not knowing if it really was someone elses hard earned cash...Karma's a motherfker...I don't need something like that coming back to bite me in the ass...

I would have ABSOLUTELY kept the money. It's interesting how there's a lot of people on this thread lying that they'd give it away. :dunno:

No, I am not lying...me being who I am I wouldn't have felt right in taking it not knowing if it really was someone elses hard earned cash...Karma's a motherfker...I don't need something like that coming back to bite me in the ass...

Hopefully my new jet ski's would be fast enough to outrun any bad karma.

Hopefully my new jet ski's would be fast enough to outrun any bad karma.

:lol:
You bad...

I would have kept it. Its the woman's own fault she didn't bother to check the item properly. Besides, who gives a pissy $200 to people who find your $50,000?

Forum List

Back