How The Left Lost It's Mind

Sun Devil 92

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2015
Last month, Democratic Senator Ed Markey delivered what seemed like an explosive bit of news during an interview with CNN: A grand jury had been impaneled in New York, he said, to investigate the Trump campaign’s alleged collusion with Russia.

The only problem: It wasn’t true.

The precise origins of the rumor are difficult to pin down, but it had been ricocheting around social media for days before Markey’s interview. The story had no reliable sourcing, and not a single credible news outlet touched it—but it had been fervently championed by The Palmer Report, a liberal blog known for peddling conspiracy theories, and by anti-Trump Twitter crusaders like Louise Mensch. Soon enough, prominent people with blue checkmarks by their names were amplifying it with “Big if true”-type Tweets. And by May 11, the story had migrated from the bowels of the internet to the mouth of a United States senator.

After Markey’s office apologized for spreading the unsubstantiated story, there was a mild flurry of articles warning of “fake news” aimed at the left, and then everyone moved on. But the episode jarringly illustrated an under-examined phenomenon in American politics.

Over the past two decades, an immense amount of journalistic energy was spent exploring the right-wing media ecosystem—from talk radio, to Fox News, to Breitbart and beyond—and documenting its growing influence on mainstream GOP politics. This turned out to be a worthy and prescient pursuit, and if any doubt remains about that, I’d present “President Donald Trump” as Exhibit A. While serious Republicans in the political class spent years scoffing at the “entertainers” and “provocateurs” on the supposedly powerless fringe, the denizens of the fever swamp were busy taking over the party.

But 2017 poses the question: Could the same thing happen on the left?

It’s a prospect that deserves more serious attention and debate than it’s gotten this year. The Trump era has given rise to a vast alternative left-wing media infrastructure that operates largely out of the view of casual news consumers, but commands a massive audience and growing influence in liberal America. There are polemical podcasters and partisan click farms; wild-eyed conspiracists and cynical fabulists. Some traffic heavily in rumor and wage campaigns of misinformation; others are merely aggregators and commentators who have carved out a corner of the web for themselves. But taken together, they form a media universe where partisan hysteria is too easily stoked, and fake news can travel at the speed of light.

How the Left Lost Its Mind

The article then goes on to identify the strange network of B.S. slingers that fight right wing B.S. slingers with guess what....B.S.

My only argument is that I am not sure the left ever had a mind.

Last month, Democratic Senator Ed Markey delivered what seemed like an explosive bit of news during an interview with CNN: A grand jury had been impaneled in New York, he said, to investigate the Trump campaign’s alleged collusion with Russia.

The precise origins of the rumor are difficult to pin down, but it had been ricocheting around social media for days before Markey’s interview. The story had no reliable sourcing, and not a single credible news outlet touched it—but it had been fervently championed by The Palmer Report, a liberal blog known for peddling conspiracy theories, and by anti-Trump Twitter crusaders like Louise Mensch. Soon enough, prominent people with blue checkmarks by their names were amplifying it with “Big if true”-type Tweets. And by May 11, the story had migrated from the bowels of the internet to the mouth of a United States senator.

After Markey’s office apologized for spreading the unsubstantiated story, there was a mild flurry of articles warning of “fake news” aimed at the left, and then everyone moved on. But the episode jarringly illustrated an under-examined phenomenon in American politics.

Over the past two decades, an immense amount of journalistic energy was spent exploring the right-wing media ecosystem—from talk radio, to Fox News, to Breitbart and beyond—and documenting its growing influence on mainstream GOP politics. This turned out to be a worthy and prescient pursuit, and if any doubt remains about that, I’d present “President Donald Trump” as Exhibit A. While serious Republicans in the political class spent years scoffing at the “entertainers” and “provocateurs” on the supposedly powerless fringe, the denizens of the fever swamp were busy taking over the party.

It’s a prospect that deserves more serious attention and debate than it’s gotten this year. The Trump era has given rise to a vast alternative left-wing media infrastructure that operates largely out of the view of casual news consumers, but commands a massive audience and growing influence in liberal America. There are polemical podcasters and partisan click farms; wild-eyed conspiracists and cynical fabulists. Some traffic heavily in rumor and wage campaigns of misinformation; others are merely aggregators and commentators who have carved out a corner of the web for themselves. But taken together, they form a media universe where partisan hysteria is too easily stoked, and fake news can travel at the speed of light.

The article then goes on to identify the strange network of B.S. slingers that fight right wing B.S. slingers with guess what....B.S.

Sad stuff.

People fall for this fake news crap- and the people who make up the fake news know it will reach an audience- on the right and on the left.

Trump tweets about 'fake news' nearly 10 times more often than 'build the wall'

19396608_1524479987572059_4874638090532380760_n.jpg

the strange network of B.S. slingers that fight right wing B.S. slingers with guess what....B.S.

Well, that essay was informative. My reading here brought the right-wing merchants of madness to my advertence; however, but for the article you've linked, I wouldn't have known about the panoply of humbugs who aim to palliate liberal despondency. I doubt I'm better off for knowing of that contrived corner of our culture, but I suppose my apprehension of it may one day have some scintilla of significance.

After having read the whole of Coppins' essay, I didn't see anywhere in it that he made the case that fatuity has metastasized among the whole of "the left." Coppins effectively enough establishes that "polemicists, conspiracists, and outright fabulists are feeding an alternative media landscape—where the implausibility of a claim is no bar to its acceptance" exist on the left and right, but not that it be so for the whole or preponderance of any set of ideological adherents.

OT:

That's not an argument. It's just a claim, and not an unequivocal one.

It's pretty clear that true journalism is dead and has been replaced with activists and revenue based selective reporting.

It's pretty clear that true journalism is dead and has been replaced with activists and revenue based selective reporting.
The "main stream media" is now the PROPAGANDA TRASH WING of the democrat party.

I don't which one leads the other, they're pretty much one and the same.

They have a sort of one, in that they're drones and feed of the programming by a single source and block out information that challenges the program.

Individually they're mindless, vapid little troglodytes desperate to serve and suckle from the nanny state. They sort of remind me of the "People's Temple" cultists, except that most moonbats now shun all religion except islam and fruity wiccian sorts of shit. The dedication to the most ignorant dogma ever preached is plain to see however. They're devoted to it so completely that in spite of the reality before their eyes they will tell you The Emperor is wearing the finest clothes, as long as he is a democrook.

If Heir Goebbels was alive today, he'd be SOOOOO impressed with the democrat trash wing.

They'd hire him in a NY second.

The "main stream media" is now the PROPAGANDA TRASH WING of the democrat party.

I don't which one leads the other, they're pretty much one and the same.

They are literally in collusion.

Let's not forget Donna BRAZILE gave debate questions to the DNC....that is collusion. Again, why should Trump give CNN any respect when they actively worked against him. They are not news. They are liberal activists.

Re: From time to time I get the questions in advance - WikiLeaks

Re: From time to time I get the questions in advance
From:[email protected] To: [email protected] CC: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] Date: 2016-03-12 19:55 Subject: Re: From time to time I get the questions in advance

UNIONS Secretary Clinton, yesterday in St. Louis, you spoke at carpenters and others “who built this nation.” Both you and Senator Sanders depend on big union support. President Obama pushed for a massive infrastructure bill that would mean millions of jobs for in this area. Yet many of these trade unions have locked out Blacks and other minorities for years. Will you call a meeting with them before November, and if you win, when you are president, to demand that the trade unions stop freezing Blacks and others from these good paying jobs? INCOME INEQUALITY Senators Sanders, you and Hillary Clinton have often talked about the problem of income inequality. Many other Democrats have. Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr. has talked about the lack of economic upward mobility for Black and other minorities in Silicon Valley and corporate America. Yet Power Pac Plus did a study showing that four years ago, the Democratic Party spent $514 million on consultants, and only 1.7%, or $8.4 million went to minority-owned firms or firms with at least one minority principle. How can the public be assured that either one of you or the Democratic Party can fix income inequality when the same party practices it? Sent from Donna's I Pad. Follow me on twitter @donnabrazile On Mar 12, 2016, at 4:42 PM, Jennifer Palmieri <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote: Hi. Yes, it is one she gets asked about. Not everyone likes her answer but can share it. Betsaida - can you send her answer on death penalty? Sent from my iPhone On Mar 12, 2016, at 4:39 PM, Donna Brazile <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote: Here's one that worries me about HRC. DEATH PENALTY 19 states and the District of Columbia have banned the death penalty. 31 states, including Ohio, still have the death penalty. According to the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, since 1973, 156 people have been on death row and later set free. Since 1976, 1,414 people have been executed in the U.S. That’s 11% of Americans who were sentenced to die, but later exonerated and freed. Should Ohio and the 30 other states join the current list and abolish the death penalty? Sent from Donna's I Pad. Follow me on twitter @donnabrazile

I happened on to a compilation of Alex Jones screaming complete and utter nonsense. That was the first time I had seen him speak, Jesus H Fucking Christ, he is truly delusional.

From reading bits and pieces, I knew that peripherally, but that was the first time I watched a few minutes of him.

Thing is, it shows more about trump's insanity.

[emoji37]

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Forum List

Back