Hypothetical Scenario

ActionJackson

America First!!!
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2023
Utah
Let's say you make $61,500.00 annually with an established company. You have good benefits, a company truck, and a stable career. A start-up company contacts you and offers you $80,000.00 to work for them. It's a grassroots situation, and you'll be on the ground floor, but your experience is key to the success of this new company.

Take the offer and the risk that comes with it? Or stick with the sure thing and the stability that comes with it?

Depends on your age.

If I was 35 or under I'd probably go with the new company...if I was 40 or older I would stay with the old company.

Or you could shoot for the moon! Put in your 2 week notice and tell them another company offered you 80K but you'll be happy to stay if they match it.

Let's say you make $61,500.00 annually with an established company. You have good benefits, a company truck, and a stable career. A start-up company contacts you and offers you $80,000.00 to work for them. It's a grassroots situation, and you'll be on the ground floor, but your experience is key to the success of this new company.

Take the offer and the risk that comes with it? Or stick with the sure thing and the stability that comes with it?

Hypothetically speaking, what is the age of the candidate considering the change?

IMHO you go for the gusto!

You shoot for the moon and keep your old job and make 80K,

You put in your two week notice and you tell them if they can MATCH 80k YOU WILL STAY.

But you have to be ready to walk...because they may not make a counter offer...like 75K. Or maybe they will.

It depends on how much self confidence in your abilities to accurately evaluate the pros and cons of the business' operating model and future as well as your threshold for risk. Other issues could apply--how long do you have left in the workforce? If you are young with good abilities, as your wage would suggest at a young age, go for it. If you only have two or three years left in the workforce, I'd go for it too. However if you have a low threshold for risk, you might want to coast in the sure thing. Good luck.

It depends on how much self confidence in your abilities to accurately evaluate the pros and cons of the business' operating model and future as well as your threshold for risk. Other issues could apply--how long do you have left in the workforce? If you are young with good abilities, as your wage would suggest at a young age, go for it. If you only have two or three years left in the workforce, I'd go for it too. However if you have a low threshold for risk, you might want to coast in the sure thing. Good luck.
This hypothetical person has more than 30 years in the industry and has played a role in every aspect of it: inside sales, outside sales, branch management, delivery driver (with commercial, HazMat endorsement), purchaser, filler (high pressure cylinders), shipping/receiving, forklift operator and trainer, safety trainer, inventory control, and tons of customer service. That's why the new company is willing to pay so well.

Forum List

Back