I got a ukulele!

RWS

Gold Member
Sep 24, 2013
Well, technically, it's not for me, it's for my daughter. So I secretly have to tune it, so when I give it to her, it's kinda holding its tune.

So late at night, I play the shit out of the thing! It's a blast!!!!

I play piano, for 44 years, and I play above-beginner guitar. But the funny thing is that it is not the knowledge of the guitar that helps me play the uke. Totally different finger placements. But you can play standard C, F, G, Am progressions so easily on a uke, that it makes you sound like an expert out of the box if you already know what chords you need to play in the song! "Piano Man" sounds absolutely awesome on a ukulele!

I'm only playing it because it goes out of tune constantly at first, due to the nylon strings, so I want to get it in tune before I give it to her... which could take days or weeks.... but now I want one for myself!!!

I haven't had so much fun playing an instrument, in a long time! This thing is a blast!!!

Last edited:
  • Banned
Both of my daughters are huge Twenty One Pilots fans (and so am I). And the main guy plays the uke a lot. And he does a great rendition of a classic Elvis song.

I was able to reproduce it in about 5 minutes of practice, that's how easy the uke is. The trick is getting the strumming pattern down. Of course, I know the song on piano, so I already know the chords, but playing those chords on the uke was so easy compared to a guitar. And you can get away with a lot of error on the uke.

The winner of AGT last time, Grace Vanderwaal, plays one, so there will probably be a wave of interest in those. Saw her CD at Walmart the other day, just 5 or 6 songs on it, including the one that was such a big hit that she wrote herself. Haven't heard Twenty One Pilots yet, but yeah, that instrument seems to be making a comeback of sorts. Enjoy!

277bed47475cfc38d0f2c254c441feef.jpg

• Banned
I think Twenty One Pilots is going to bring it back fast! They are huge right now, and as much as I hate to admit it, the lead guy is extremely talented. (there are only 2 peeps in the band, him and the drummer). And he uses the uke a lot, and all the girls love it! So it's gonna get huge quickly...

I actually love his rap.... and i hate rap! This guy is someone to watch going forward... and they have a lot more good songs.

Who's dat guy who been on PBS...

... dat plays the uke?

I think he's Hawaiian or mebbe Philippino.

There are strings which are steel-wound nylon...

... might do a better job of stayin' in tune.

Check yer local music shop

Sweet. My grandfather used to have a ukulele. I used to try to play it but I never could. Just a bunch of noise. :lol: I love music but unfortunately I can't play any instruments (unless you count Mary Had A Little Lamb on piano). I would love to be able to just pick up a guitar and start jamming though!

Love the Jive Aces and the lead's use of the ukulele. He has a few tutorials on YouTube. Their music videos are well put together and entertaining.

• Thanks
Reactions: RWS
  • Banned
Who's dat guy who been on PBS...

... dat plays the uke?

I think he's Hawaiian or mebbe Philippino.

There are strings which are steel-wound nylon...

... might do a better job of stayin' in tune.

Check yer local music shop

You mean the big guy! That's Israel, not gonna try to spell his last name.

I've been a fan of his for a long time. What a voice... The chords in that song took a little time to master. Two days (but i cheat and don't play it anywhere near as well). But you can do the main part in 2 days.

Sweet. My grandfather used to have a ukulele. I used to try to play it but I never could. Just a bunch of noise. :lol: I love music but unfortunately I can't play any instruments (unless you count Mary Had A Little Lamb on piano). I would love to be able to just pick up a guitar and start jamming though!

Have you tried MHALL on the phone? It's 7, 4, 1, 4, 7, 7, 7.... 4, 4, 4,.... 7, 7, 7... etc :)

This guy is really good, and talented, and making me start to accept new music....

Watch thru the intro, until he actually starts playin...

Well, technically, it's not for me, it's for my daughter. So I secretly have to tune it, so when I give it to her, it's kinda holding its tune.

So late at night, I play the shit out of the thing! It's a blast!!!!

I play piano, for 44 years, and I play above-beginner guitar. But the funny thing is that it is not the knowledge of the guitar that helps me play the uke. Totally different finger placements. But you can play standard C, F, G, Am progressions so easily on a uke, that it makes you sound like an expert out of the box if you already know what chords you need to play in the song! "Piano Man" sounds absolutely awesome on a ukulele!

I'm only playing it because it goes out of tune constantly at first, due to the nylon strings, so I want to get it in tune before I give it to her... which could take days or weeks.... but now I want one for myself!!!

I haven't had so much fun playing an instrument, in a long time! This thing is a blast!!!

And of course there's Jake Shimabukuro...

RWS:

Jake Shimabukuro is the one I was thinkin' of...

... prob'ly available at yer local library...

... well worth the free checkout.

RWS:

Jake Shimabukuro is the one I was thinkin' of...

... prob'ly available at yer local library...

... well worth the free checkout.

WOW!!!!! That totally made me not to want to continue to play. and throw the uke away.. :)

Just kidding, I'll never be that good at this age, but I'm doing pretty darn well after a few days of practice! But that was amazing!!! Was not aware of how high a level a uke can be played! Thank you for that!

But I prefer to sing along and strum...

Listen to those again. Keep in mind this guy is not just a uke player, he's a singer/songwriter, and he's merging different styles into a totally new thing that everyone's diggin today... I can actually relate with that.

My fav's of all time are the Beatles, Zep, Floyd, Kinks, and Billy Joel. They changed music in their times.

This guy has a chance to do that today.... and start a new generation of music... I"m that impressed!

Forum List

Back