I got a ukulele!

So shhhh.... I got a ukulele for myself! My bday is the 23rd, and I always get a present for myself for surviving that long! I got a concert uke. It's a couple of inches longer. And size matters....

Hopefully it helps me hit the G7 chord a little easier! I already play this song like a champ. Just can't sing like him or Elvis. Though I still sound great attempting it! Thanks to the uke!!!

And tho it's not a uke song, this is my personal fav from him. This is really good stuff.

I'd play it on the piano, but I can't rap. But maybe I'll learn due to this.... Please listen. This is the next big thing.

This is the current hit, one of many... you gotta listen to this guy...

I'm back to playing the uke, and I keep getting frustrated every time I hear Jake. And his brother is awesome too....

Given your enthusiasm over this and your approach to new stuff, I bet your family is at least grateful you didn't discover a kick ass tuba player ... lol

One time I got obsessed with playing the vibes after a fixation over Lionel Hampton's Jazz albums. After a few months, my wife 'accidentally dropped' a big heavy box of tools on it .... I'm thinking of buying another one of some type, not sure what kind yet.

Vibraphones | Concert | Steve Weiss Music

Last edited:
Given your enthusiasm over this and your approach to new stuff, I bet your family is at least grateful you didn't discover a kick ass tuba player ... lol

One time I got obsessed with playing the vibes after a fixation over Lionel Hampton's Jazz albums. After a few months, my wife 'accidentally dropped' a big heavy box of tools on it .... I'm thinking of buying another one of some type, not sure what kind yet.

Vibraphones | Concert | Steve Weiss Music
That's very funny!

All I say is to try playing the ukulele, and it may make wonders. I've been playing piano for 44 years at this point, guitar for maybe 30. So I obviously love those instruments, and have made money doing so (piano only).

But for the past year, I have played the ukulele 95+% of the time when practicing. I literally didn't touch my keyboards for 3-4 months, and my guitar for about 6 months. I fell in love with the ukulele.

I just upgraded from a beginner uke that was really good, to a Cordoba uke, which is supposed to be even better. Should arrive tomorrow.

He wrote the song, sang the song, and played the song. Why do you not like it?

He wrote the song, sang the song, and played the song. Why do you not like it?
I do like the song in its radio format. But this video shows that these guys are a studio band. Kind of disappointing. Though I do like their production stuff. Just seems I'd be disappointed with a live performance.

I do not understand. They are great on radio, and great with studio. They are not a "studio band".

So you understand, my daughters liked them, not me. At first.

But i realized that the lead guy is incredibly talented. The other guy plays drums, and he's good too. There's 2 ppl in this band. And the lead guy is very talented.

He is so talented, that i predict he will make some music going forward that will be iconic.

He's kinda like an early Billy Joel. Mark my words :)

I do not understand. They are great on radio, and great with studio. They are not a "studio band".

So you understand, my daughters liked them, not me. At first.

But i realized that the lead guy is incredibly talented. The other guy plays drums, and he's good too. There's 2 ppl in this band. And the lead guy is very talented.

He is so talented, that i predict he will make some music going forward that will be iconic.

He's kinda like an early Billy Joel. Mark my words :)
The kids got some talent, no doubt.

Well, technically, it's not for me, it's for my daughter. So I secretly have to tune it, so when I give it to her, it's kinda holding its tune.

So late at night, I play the shit out of the thing! It's a blast!!!!

I play piano, for 44 years, and I play above-beginner guitar. But the funny thing is that it is not the knowledge of the guitar that helps me play the uke. Totally different finger placements. But you can play standard C, F, G, Am progressions so easily on a uke, that it makes you sound like an expert out of the box if you already know what chords you need to play in the song! "Piano Man" sounds absolutely awesome on a ukulele!

I'm only playing it because it goes out of tune constantly at first, due to the nylon strings, so I want to get it in tune before I give it to her... which could take days or weeks.... but now I want one for myself!!!

I haven't had so much fun playing an instrument, in a long time! This thing is a blast!!!

You should check out the greatest uke player of all time (my opinion), Mr. George Formby!

I ran across his work a few years ago while searching out good roots music. He was a mega star in the UK back in the late 30s and through the 40s. He has several full length comedy movies on You Tube, all of which feature a few of his original uke songs. (He is a great comedian as well.) Today, they have actual workshops to study his playing style.

His songs are simplistic yet infectious and when I first started listening to him, I kept thinking, these songs just sound SO familiar to me for some reason. There was just something about them and I couldn't place it. After much research, I discovered why! Turns out, Formby was a major influence on the Beatles! You can hear his style in many of their tunes. Songs like Yellow Submarine and When I'm Sixty Four are pure Formby.

He's fantastic! No doubt that he was an influence on those two songs. Harrison loved him. And it also goes to show another beauty of the uke:

You don't need to have a good voice to sound good when singing with the uke. The uke's inherent funkiness can make any voice sound good when played together. Trust me on that bc I'm definitely not a good singer! :)

Check out another Jake video:

He's fantastic! No doubt that he was an influence on those two songs. Harrison loved him. And it also goes to show another beauty of the uke:

You don't need to have a good voice to sound good when singing with the uke. The uke's inherent funkiness can make any voice sound good when played together. Trust me on that bc I'm definitely not a good singer! :)

Check out another Jake video:

Am I wrong for thinking that could've been done better?

Purchased my granddaughter a Koaloha soprano ukulele last year. It is the same brand as these girls play. They are made from Koa wood grown on the island, and have that distinct Hawaiian ukulele sound. .... :cool:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back