If you could only read "1" book the rest of your life?

I have a one dictionary that wieghs 30 pounds.

That one or a huge single volume encyclopedia.

a one subject book would make a person go insane or end up being firewood.

First off I would start a revolution if someone wanted to force me down to one book for the rest of my life.

Well, first off, it's a horrible scenario. It reminds me of that old Twilight Zone episode: "Time Enoough at Last." An atomic bomb is dropped on the city, "an enormous explosion outside the bank violently shakes the vault, knocking Bemis unconscious. After regaining consciousness and recovering the thick glasses required for him to see, Bemis emerges from the vault to find the bank demolished and everyone in it dead. Leaving the bank, he sees that the entire city has also been destroyed, and realizes that a nuclear war has devastated the Earth, but that his being in the vault has saved him.

Finding himself totally alone in a shattered world with food to last him a lifetime, but no one to share it with, Bemis succumbs to despair. As he prepares to commit suicide using a revolver he has found, Bemis sees the ruins of the public library in the distance. Investigating, he finds that the books are still intact and readable; all the books he could ever hope for are his for the reading, and all the time in the world to read them without interruption.

His despair gone, Bemis contentedly sorts the books he looks forward to reading for years to come. Just as he bends down to pick up the first book, he stumbles, and his glasses fall off and shatter. In shock, he picks up the broken remains of the glasses he is virtually blind without, and says, "That's not fair. That's not fair at all. There was time now. There was all the time I needed...! That's not fair!", and bursts into tears, surrounded by books he now can never read." Wikipedia

I think, for me, it would be The Complete Works of William Shakespeare. There's comedy, drama, tragedy, romance, history, the supernatural, beautiful use of language, wisdom, plays, sonnets and poems. I'm looking at it right now. My paperback version isn't all that huge, and the print is very small, so I would definitely also have to have my reading glasses.

Last edited:
I would go with the "Tao Te Ching" by Hua Ha Ching

You ask alot of questions that could be construed as gathering information about posters. You know, McCloud? That coupled with your numerous threads targeting Glenn Beck as the same "operation" as Alex Jones has me wondering what you are up to and in the matter of Beck what you are trying to get out in front of? Did you read the post on how to identify a disinfo agent yet? Maybe you should have a peek at that one.

-Jeremiah

par·a·noi·a
/ˌparəˈnoiə/Noun
1.A mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically worked...
2.Suspicion and mistrust of people or their actions without evidence or justification.

First off I would start a revolution if someone wanted to force me down to one book for the rest of my life.

Or one firearm.

Of course, a revolution requires putting down the vodka and actually getting your fat ass up off the couch.

I have a one dictionary that wieghs 30 pounds.

That one or a huge single volume encyclopedia.

a one subject book would make a person go insane or end up being firewood.

No one believes you.

Maybe sending others to fight for you. yeah, that makes more liberal sense.

but since you are a far leftist, you would gladly put away all books if your leadership told you to do so.

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

prophet-600.jpg

Forum List

Back