Is The Electronic Cigarette Healthy? Can This Be The Future of Smoking?

Kooshdakhaa

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2011
Still has nicotine. Nicotine is not good for you, your heart in particular, I believe. But better than inhaling cigarette smoke into your lungs.

they have non- nicotine E -CIgs as well and I found it better for smoking cessation than products like gum patches with nicotine...I think they have over estimated the role of nicotine in smoking addiction...and it is the act of smoking itself that is most addictive

I've been trying to quit for the last six months, and I tried the e-cig thing; it didn't really work. It just made me miss real cigarettes.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uui38Nifb4]are e cigarettes without nicotine safe? - YouTube[/ame]

they have non- nicotine E -CIgs as well and I found it better for smoking cessation than products like gum patches with nicotine...I think they have over estimated the role of nicotine in smoking addiction...and it is the act of smoking itself that is most addictive

Yeah, I am inclined to agree EOTS.

While the addiction to nicotine is real enough to make one sick when detoxing, it's the habituation of the smoking process that is truly hard to give up.

I quite smoking about 50 days ago and while I have no withdrawls from the drug, I still crave THE RITUTAL OF SMOKE when I first get up in the AM, and after pretty much every meal, too

RITUALS (smoking is certainly a ritual) are extremely habituating. Performing rituals causes our brains to produce opiate like pleasurable drugs, too.

I've tried the e-cigarettes and I don't see anything worthwhile about them. They're advertized as being the equivalent of two packs of cigarettes, but I'll be damned if I ever got even one good puff out of the things, not to mention that it only took one or two questionable puffs and they had to be recharged.

I have said for years that smoking cessation methods - whether hypnosis, patches, or whatever - do NOT help one bit if a person does not WANT to quit. There's a great "mental" factor in there: if you don't want to stop, you're not going to.

I've stopped several times - the longest period being 7 years. With me, I just wake up one morning with no desire to smoke and it lasts as long as it lasts. Usually the thing that started me back would be some extremely stressful event that I couldn't handle without cigarettes ... and all it takes is ONE cigarette.

I don't know ... there may be some genetic factor as well. There are a lot of people who die of lung cancer who never smoked a cigarette their entire life. My Dad started smoking at age 8 and died at 72 with no lung issues; my mother died of lung cancer (I think) but my understanding was that it was not due to smoking - which may very well be true. She had uterine cancer years earlier and dicked around, refused to have surgery, went to some damned clinic in Texas (which was later exiled to Mexico) for, I don't know, some kind of black market drugs and other shit. This clinic pricked her finger for some blood and told her she did not have cancer but did have a touch of arthritis in one of her fingers. Well - that was all the proof she needed to verify that her doctor was lying to her. Some years later she finally had a hysterectomy but it's possible that it had metastasized by then.

None of which is any excuse for me to continue smoking and I am trying to at least cut back. When I'm not wired, I do smoke a lot less.

While the addiction to nicotine is real enough to make one sick when detoxing, it's the habituation of the smoking process that is truly hard to give up.

I quite smoking about 50 days ago and while I have no withdrawls from the drug, I still crave THE RITUTAL OF SMOKE when I first get up in the AM, and after pretty much every meal, too

RITUALS (smoking is certainly a ritual) are extremely habituating. Performing rituals causes our brains to produce opiate like pleasurable drugs, too.

A week after you quit smoking, the nicotine withdrawal is done. It's the ritual from there out.

I can't even tell you how many times I've gotten over the physical withdrawals, but I've still gone back to smoking each time.

Of course it's not the act of smoking. I know a lot of people think that smoking behavior is even more dangerous than smoking and object to chewing on a straw because it's the same dangerous hand to mouth movement.

What's dangerous are the additives in cigarettes and the smoke itself. E-cigs don't have smoke.

A week after you quit smoking, the nicotine withdrawal is done. It's the ritual from there out.

I can't even tell you how many times I've gotten over the physical withdrawals, but I've still gone back to smoking each time.

I went back to smoking sometimes years after having quit. The longest I was cig free was 6 years before I went back to smoking. I just didn't like not smoking. Not only that, but not smoking made me very resentful that I did not get any benefit from not smoking. No food did not taste better. No it wasn't any easier to breathe as a non smoker than it was smoking 2 1/2 packs a day. It was all a lie and I damn well resented it.

I was introduced to e-cigarettes by an employee who got one from his sister. As soon as I picked it up, I was done with cigarettes. I haven't had one since although I still like the smell.

Of course it's not the act of smoking. I know a lot of people think that smoking behavior is even more dangerous than smoking and object to chewing on a straw because it's the same dangerous hand to mouth movement.

What's dangerous are the additives in cigarettes and the smoke itself. E-cigs don't have smoke.

E-cigs do have smoke.
Watch this guy smoking one.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROm98IrSJRI]Smoking Electronic Cigarettes - YouTube[/ame]

It does not have all of the poisonous chemicals that cigs have, like Tar

E-cigs do have smoke.
Watch this guy smoking one.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROm98IrSJRI]Smoking Electronic Cigarettes - YouTube[/ame]

It does not have all of the poisonous chemicals that cigs have, like Tar

That's not smoke, it's water vapor. It's not smoke because nothing is burning. Otherwise, fog would be smoke. You know that fog is not smoke. The smoke from the forest fires is smoke.

Last edited:

I went back to smoking sometimes years after having quit. The longest I was cig free was 6 years before I went back to smoking. I just didn't like not smoking. Not only that, but not smoking made me very resentful that I did not get any benefit from not smoking. No food did not taste better. No it wasn't any easier to breathe as a non smoker than it was smoking 2 1/2 packs a day. It was all a lie and I damn well resented it.

I was introduced to e-cigarettes by an employee who got one from his sister. As soon as I picked it up, I was done with cigarettes. I haven't had one since although I still like the smell.

No benefit from not smoking? Not even mentioning overall health, how about NOT sending $150/week up in smoke! Hell, a dude I work with quit smoking...and in a year, he'd saved enough money to buy a motorcycle!

I recently took up e-cigarettes and have found that I cough less and it has adequately reduced cravings for a smoke. I usually have a pack of cigarettes which I use from time to time but will last for days. All in all healthier and less noxious, but I certainly would not call e-cigarettes healthy.

I almost bought e cigs yesterday because of this thread.. sick of smoking but I dont see any benifit to quit. There is nothing that calms me down more at work when I have a problem. Like going outside having a smoke and thinking about it.

No benefit from not smoking? Not even mentioning overall health, how about NOT sending $150/week up in smoke! Hell, a dude I work with quit smoking...and in a year, he'd saved enough money to buy a motorcycle!

I figure I'm up to $336 saved since I quit.

I don't really have it though because I think much of it went to food I'm buying now and going out and socializing that I wasn't doing when I smoked.

In fact, I think I now have less money than I did.

Feel better of course, and I suppose I smell better too.

They are just filled with different chemicals. Pick your poison.

From what I understand other than nicotine, the poisons are the same delivery substances found in asthma inhalers.

I have one, I have never completely quit by using it, but went from 1.5 packs a day down to roughly 10 cigs per day

I figure I'm up to $336 saved since I quit.

I don't really have it though because I think much of it went to food I'm buying now and going out and socializing that I wasn't doing when I smoked.

In fact, I think I now have less money than I did.

Feel better of course, and I suppose I smell better too.

yea you have an addictive personality, you just changed your addiction.

Forum List

Back