Isolationism: A Cinematic Doorbell

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
In the provocative Danny Boyle film The Beach, a young American traveller named Richard (Leo DiCaprio) meditates on the values of isolationism on an idyllic isolated beach off the coast of Thailand and discovers a hidden eerie face of darkness luring in the cobwebs of the mind.

In one haunting sequence of the film, Richard is sitting alone in a shed meditating with a strange malicious mischief in his eyes when his friend asks him why he is sitting alone. Richard tells his friend he's brooding about the eccentricity of his departed acquaintance Daffy (Robert Carlyle).

We get the sense that Richard's meditation on his friend Daffy may be a subconscious quest to find the meaning of friendship in a universe which does not forbid isolation and complete privacy. Richard wonders if the yearning for privacy is also an expression (of some kind) of the distaste or dissatisfaction with civilization/mankind.

That's why I like thinking of the Marvel Comics super-villain Carnage (Cletus Kasady) when I think of Richard in The Beach. Carnage embodies some of the anti-social angst Richard is evaluating in his analysis of isolationism and nihilism.

We can use a Richard-Carnage dynamic/dialogue to assess the psychological impact of 'civics/etiquette consciousness.'

Isn't that what President Trump would argue is the 'essence' of sociology --- dioramas?

It will be interesting to see how the capitalism-subjective Trump Administration coordinates new age tech-networking rhetorics/poetics (e.g., Facebook) with classical ideas about intelligence. Do we feel like we've elected a capitalism-token idiot or perhaps a capitalism-convenience 'diplomat'?

It's all about the shamans...

====

RICHARD: Why are you so hysterical?
CARNAGE: I lust for anarchy!
RICHARD: You seem like a terrorist.
CARNAGE: You sound like a Beatnik!
RICHARD: I'm just a curious traveller.
CARNAGE: Do you like fire?
RICHARD: I'm curious about power.
CARNAGE: Fire is devastating, and devastation is akin to power.
RICHARD: The loss of power makes us sensitive about ambition.
CARNAGE: Those who get burned are 'humbled' by fate.
RICHARD: Do you seek to punish the mind?
CARNAGE: I'm only a trickster!
RICHARD: What's so funny about fire?
CARNAGE: It's fun!
RICHARD: I prefer heaven to pain.
CARNAGE: I seek mischief.

====

The Beach

Carnage

demon1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back