'It's an invasion': Mayor of New Jersey town claims Orthodox Jews are trying to take over

Bond27

Feb 24, 2016
'It's an invasion': Mayor of New Jersey town claims Orthodox Jews are trying to take over as residents claim aggressive realtors are trying to bully them out of their homes

The mayor of a New Jersey town has branded an influx of Orthodox Jews akin to 'an invasion' with residents claiming aggressive realtors are trying to bully them to sell their homes.

Toms River Mayor Thomas Kelaher says he has had complaints from residents since last year - who say some realtors are aggressive and use ‘suspicious and creepy’ tactics to try and convince residents to sell.

The issue stems from a housing crunch in nearby Lakewood - home to one of the country’s largest populations of Hasidic Jews – which has led to real estate agents looking to adjacent towns to accommodate the rapidly growing Jewish community.

But these realtors tell residents that if they don’t sell, they will be the only non-Jews living in an Orthodox community, Kelaher told Bloomberg.

He added that there have been occasions when strangers have pulled up outside homes to take pictures and videos – even going as far as to ask children on the street where they live.

Kelaher compared his town’s current problems to ‘blockbusting’ by the African-American community decades ago.

‘It's like an invasion,' he said. 'It’s the old throwback to the 1960s, when block-busting happened in Philadelphia and Chicago with the American community – “I want to buy your house. You’ll be sorry if you don’t.”

‘It scares the hell out of people,’ he added.

Rabbi Avi Schnall, the state director of Agudath Israel of America, a national grassroots advocacy and social service organization representing Orthodox Jews, blasted the mayor's comments, writing on Twitter: "It's Like an invasion" said Mayor Kelaher of Toms River. If this was said abt any other minority group....Shame. [sic]'

He added that the town has seen a spike in bank robberies and break-ins, drugs are 'rampant' and the area is still recovering from Hurricane Sandy, yet the mayor feels 'aggressive realtors' are the biggest concern.

322F40B800000578-3491782-image-m-62_1457973237662.jpg

Toms River Mayor Thomas Kelaher (pictured) said he has had complaints about aggressive realtors from residents and branded it 'like an invastion

The complaints have led to towns, including Toms River, to update their ‘no-knock’ rules on door-to-door solicitation, adding real estate inquiries to measures that already limit when soliciting can occur and allow residents to bar solicitations.

New Jersey town claims Orthodox Jews are trying to bully them to sell

Odium

What's the agenda here and where is all this money coming from?

Ultra-orthodox Jews acting like assholes?

Oy gevalt! Such a thing has never been heard.

Would you rather it be negros?

They should count their blessing

'It's an invasion': Mayor of New Jersey town claims Orthodox Jews are trying to take over as residents claim aggressive realtors are trying to bully them out of their homes

The mayor of a New Jersey town has branded an influx of Orthodox Jews akin to 'an invasion' with residents claiming aggressive realtors are trying to bully them to sell their homes.

Toms River Mayor Thomas Kelaher says he has had complaints from residents since last year - who say some realtors are aggressive and use ‘suspicious and creepy’ tactics to try and convince residents to sell.

The issue stems from a housing crunch in nearby Lakewood - home to one of the country’s largest populations of Hasidic Jews – which has led to real estate agents looking to adjacent towns to accommodate the rapidly growing Jewish community.

But these realtors tell residents that if they don’t sell, they will be the only non-Jews living in an Orthodox community, Kelaher told Bloomberg.

He added that there have been occasions when strangers have pulled up outside homes to take pictures and videos – even going as far as to ask children on the street where they live.

Kelaher compared his town’s current problems to ‘blockbusting’ by the African-American community decades ago.

‘It's like an invasion,' he said. 'It’s the old throwback to the 1960s, when block-busting happened in Philadelphia and Chicago with the American community – “I want to buy your house. You’ll be sorry if you don’t.”

‘It scares the hell out of people,’ he added.

Rabbi Avi Schnall, the state director of Agudath Israel of America, a national grassroots advocacy and social service organization representing Orthodox Jews, blasted the mayor's comments, writing on Twitter: "It's Like an invasion" said Mayor Kelaher of Toms River. If this was said abt any other minority group....Shame. [sic]'

He added that the town has seen a spike in bank robberies and break-ins, drugs are 'rampant' and the area is still recovering from Hurricane Sandy, yet the mayor feels 'aggressive realtors' are the biggest concern.

322F40B800000578-3491782-image-m-62_1457973237662.jpg

Toms River Mayor Thomas Kelaher (pictured) said he has had complaints about aggressive realtors from residents and branded it 'like an invastion

The complaints have led to towns, including Toms River, to update their ‘no-knock’ rules on door-to-door solicitation, adding real estate inquiries to measures that already limit when soliciting can occur and allow residents to bar solicitations.

New Jersey town claims Orthodox Jews are trying to bully them to sell

Odium

What's the agenda here and where is all this money coming from?
Probably coming from overseas more than likely Israel. Not a surprise though I am shocked no one has been called an "anti semite" yet. They need to pass some laws to keep this scum out.

I spent part of a summer with some friends up in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I ran into more of those Ultra-Orthodox Jews than I care to. You know the kind, only dress in black, spend all day reading the Torah, no job to speak of but a dozen kids on the dole. They're politically powerful and the politicians kiss their ass so no one really says or does anything when they act like assholes.

I saw one of God's "Chosen People" run up and spit on a young woman because she was dressed like a whore. She just was wearing a nice sundress, but I guess it was too immodest for this guy and his curly-q hair cut and instead of not looking at her decided to express his disapproval by hocking a loogie on her. Then, like the man he is, he turned and ran.

I used to be a "live and let live" guy, but running into those types that leave here but refuse to assimilate into the US norms just made me change my mind entirely. If you aren't going to dress like an American and act like an American and accept that things you disapprove of for religious reasons exist and aren't going away anytime soon, then just piss off.

That story does have a happy ending. When he turned to run, a couple of Guidos who saw what he did grabbed him and beat him in the street.

Forum List

Back