Jumping into a search for jet crash survivors

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
This story is a tale of two groups of people. One group, the Sikh terrorists which put a bomb on Air India flight to kill innocent human beings and another group, US Navy's rescue team which jumped in the icy cold water in an attempt to search for the survivors.

---

It was 29 years ago this week. I was a member of the U.S. Air Force's 67th ARRS Pararescue team. I was trained to find survivors anywhere on Earth and bring them back alive. Sometimes that wasn't possible. Instead you came back with the only thing you could -- closure for the victims' families. You brought home the bodies.
That was the case for Air India Flight 182 that Sunday in June 1985.
Stan Sanders called me that morning and told me to "get to work and get ready, there's a 747 down off the coast of Ireland."
Stan and I had been stationed together for three years. He was my good friend and mentor. We had both recently moved from Northern California to the Royal Air Force base at Woodbridge, in Suffolk County, England. My wife and I had returned from our honeymoon the night before. It was her first morning in England.
Watching the world's rescue efforts this year in the desperate search for the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 brought these 29-year-old memories to the surface for me. As we mark the anniversary of the Air India crash, we should remember those 329 individuals lost.

Stephens: Jumping into a search for India Air survivors - CNN.com

Forum List

Back