Juneau, Alaska Flooded from Billions of Gallons Water from a "Suicide Basin" Ice Dam Burst

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

QTDK54PJJREPZIJZ4VOHICE6JM.jpg

The release from Suicide Basin flooded homes and roads in the Mendenhall River Valley. The densely populated residential area, with several schools and numerous businesses and churches, is about 10 miles northwest of downtown Juneau.

The City and Borough of Juneau on Monday night issued an evacuation warning, officials said. The river’s flood levels crested nearly a foot higher than last year’s “disastrous flood of record,” according to an update Tuesday from state disaster officials.

I would think "Suicide Basin" would act as a clue as a place to not live around.

They built in a floodplain and are basically at the bottom of a pit from mudslides to rain.
Who thought it was a good idea to build homes when that is the historical path that glacier takes to the sea?

I bet the feds insure it....No fuckin' way an insurance company would.

QTDK54PJJREPZIJZ4VOHICE6JM.jpg

The release from Suicide Basin flooded homes and roads in the Mendenhall River Valley. The densely populated residential area, with several schools and numerous businesses and churches, is about 10 miles northwest of downtown Juneau.

The City and Borough of Juneau on Monday night issued an evacuation warning, officials said. The river’s flood levels crested nearly a foot higher than last year’s “disastrous flood of record,” according to an update Tuesday from state disaster officials.

I would think "Suicide Basin" would act as a clue as a place to not live around.

They built in a floodplain and are basically at the bottom of a pit from mudslides to rain.
Who thought it was a good idea to build homes when that is the historical path that glacier takes to the sea?

I bet the feds insure it....No fuckin' way an insurance company would.
Hadn't heard about it. My brother in law lives in Juneau, I usually visit him every year, I'll have to call him.

We've had a few floods in recent times , rather devastating with repairs taking years........water can be a rather formidable force when there's a lot of it in a short time.....~S~

I've never been ... but this is the "Gateway to the Yukon" during Klondike Gold Rush ... I just have to assume the easiest way down for evil glaciers is the best way up for divine humans ...

Burning tires murders evil glaciers ... kill or be killed ...

Forum List

Back