Kitchen hack: cheap splatter screen.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
Metal splatter screens may stop large droplets of grease but still allow an oily mist to cover your stovetop.

A very effective, cheap, disposable screen can be made using several layers of stout paper towels (I prefer Bounty) stapled together and trimmed to the size of your frying pan.

A serviceable handle can be fashioned using a small nail (with a head) pushed up from the bottom and secured with a piece of tape. Two rows of staples are needed; one, a circle as far to the center as your stapler will reach, the other around the border. This will stiffen the paper screen and prevent sagging.

This disposable 'paper towel screen' allows steam to escape and also captures the oily mist that others allow to pass through.

(No I'm not gay, but I do like to cook.) :biggrin:

Last edited:
Metal splatter screens may stop large droplets of grease but still allow an oily mist to cover your stovetop.

A very effective, cheap, disposable screen can be made using several layers of stout paper towels (I prefer Bounty) stapled together and trimmed to the size of your frying pan.

A serviceable handle can be fashioned using a small nail (with a head) pushed up from the bottom and secured with a piece of tape. Two rows of staples are needed; one, a circle as far to the center as your stapler will reach, the other around the border. This will stiffen the screen and prevent sagging.

This 'paper towel screen' allows steam to escape and also captures the oily mist that others allow to pass through.

Beware when using a gas cooktop.

Beware when using a gas cooktop.
That's why you must trim it to fit the pan with little or no overlap (I haven't caught one on fire yet). If you need a really high gas burner setting use a metal splatter screen and place a trimmed paper towel on top to catch the oily mist.

A serviceable handle can be fashioned using a small nail (with a head) pushed up from the bottom and secured with a piece of tape. Two rows of staples are needed; one, a circle as far to the center as your stapler will reach, the other around the border. This will stiffen the paper screen and prevent sagging.

This disposable 'paper towel screen' allows steam to escape and also captures the oily mist that others allow to pass through.

I just use this when done.....

iu

Only takes about 10 seconds........ Easy peasy and cheap especially if you buy a generic brand.........

This is why you have a Wife.

I just use this when done.....

iu

Only takes about 10 seconds........ Easy peasy and cheap especially if you buy a generic brand.........
My screen greatly reduces the cooking smell as well, which usually permeates the whole house even with the range hood fan on. In fact that was my main reason for creating it. That oily mist doesn't just get on the stove, it's all over the place.

Forum List

Back