Looking to go to Italy/Greece next year.

I have been to Athens.
It is hot in the summer.
It is kind of dirty/trashy compared to other European cities.
But is a lot cheaper than other European cities.
The people are friendly and most of them can speak English.

THis one - Best of Italy and Greece Tour 2024 | Trafalgar

Normally sponsor/guided trips are not my thing, but having all of the travel between the areas all taken care of including accommodations is attractive.
Anyway - who here have been to either/both?

Thoughts?
my work was in pireus and in hania, but the parthenon of athens is one of the sights that IS as good as the travel brochures.

i also visited delphi and eleusis.

i'm sure rome is impressive, but that work was in naples, brindisi and in catania. recommend pompeii for sightseeing. on a clear day vesuvius still emits a bit of smoke.

sicily is the ancestral home and i guess i understand why they left, but that is la dolce vita.

I have been to Athens.
It is hot in the summer.
It is kind of dirty/trashy compared to other European cities.
But is a lot cheaper than other European cities.
The people are friendly and most of them can speak English.

This is true, however I would add that outside of Athens and maybe Thessaloniki, almost no one in Greece speaks English (many speak French, though). So if you plan to go outside the major metros, have someone who can help with the language.

THis one - Best of Italy and Greece Tour 2024 | Trafalgar

Normally sponsor/guided trips are not my thing, but having all of the travel between the areas all taken care of including accommodations is attractive.
Anyway - who here have been to either/both?

Thoughts?
Been to Greece, and Italy but not at the same time. Both were fun trips, but that was before Joe Biden's inflation infected the world.

This is true, however I would add that outside of Athens and maybe Thessaloniki, almost no one in Greece speaks English (many speak French, though). So if you plan to go outside the major metros, have someone who can help with the language.
Almost everybody in tourist spots speaks English.

Spend 2-3 days in Athens: Acropolis its museum. National Archeological Museum and Plaka-Monastiraki then get the hell out.

Cheap ferry boats from Piraeus to most the islands. I suggest Naxos and Crete. Mykonos if you're into nite life and beautiful beaches, Santorini for beautiful views but both very expensive. Other option is Rhodes a beautiful island with lotsa beautiful Scandinavian girls

This from a Greek citizen who's spend about 24 years in Greece.

Forum List

Back