Zone1 Losing Fear of the Lord

Meriweather

Not all who wander are lost
Oct 21, 2014
A well-known and respected televangelist fell from grace to the point his behavior handed him a prison sentence. During an interview he was asked, “When did you stop loving the Lord?”

His response was that he never stopped loving the Lord. The problem was that he lost his Fear of the Lord.

Can confidence in God’s forgiveness encroach on an equally needed Fear of the Lord? Do you fear the Lord? In what ways does that affect behavior/actions?

The televangelist does not even understand what loving God means.

1 John 5:3
In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,

A well-known and respected televangelist fell from grace to the point his behavior handed him a prison sentence. During an interview he was asked, “When did you stop loving the Lord?”

His response was that he never stopped loving the Lord. The problem was that he lost his Fear of the Lord.

Can confidence in God’s forgiveness encroach on an equally needed Fear of the Lord? Do you fear the Lord? In what ways does that affect behavior/actions?

It kind of helps if you give us the name of the televangelist and what he was accused of that sent him to prison.

If you are talking about Jim Bakker, I remember that guy from the "Praise the Lord" Club, and I thought he was kind of a fraud then. (It was summers in Wisconsin, when we had all of one TV station we could get on our TV.)

Then to no one's surprise, in the 1980's, we found out he raped a church secretary and embezzled money to pay for a lavish lifestyle.

Really, no different than the head of your religion living in a big palace in Rome, with Billions of dollars in art.

Jim Bakker and his air-conditioned doghouse is a piker compared to Francis, who preaches about poverty from his palace.

In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,
Obviously there was a point when temptation did become burdensome and did overwhelm him, despite his love.

It kind of helps if you give us the name of the televangelist and what he was accused of that sent him to prison.

If you are talking about Jim Bakker
As a matter of fact, Jim Bakker is the televangelist in question, but the thread is meant to be about Fear of the Lord, not Bakker.

God didn't put the guy in prison. He did that to himself.
True, but if he had focused more on how vital Fear of the Lord can be in life, would that have been enough to overcome temptations?

Why would you fear something that doesn't exist?

As a matter of fact, Jim Bakker is the televangelist in question, but the thread is meant to be about Fear of the Lord, not Bakker.

Yeah, Jim Bakker was sorry he got caught, he wasn't sorry he did it.

The problem with the God-Botherers is that you can always convince yourself that your imaginary sky friend is okay with what you are doing, whether it be embezzling the life savings of old ladies, or launching a crusade against people who believe differently than you do.

1724415956907.png

Come on, do you think Bakker thought what he was doing wrong at any point before the Feds slapped the cuffs on him? He didn't lose his fear or the Lord, he thought the lord wanted his dog to have an air-conditioned doghouse.

Why would you fear something that doesn't exist?
Since God does, the question stands. Still I can see why those who hold no belief in God may not be interested in the question/thread involving fear of the Lord.

I have always feared G-d, even as a kid. When I pray then I pray in a humble manner though I will sometimes just ask G-d questions out loud as Job did. I just hope my enemies.fear.G-d in the same manner. We stiol have to.deal.with this life first and the vast evil and corrupt within it.

I have always feared G-d, even as a kid. When I pray then I pray in a humble manner though I will sometimes just ask G-d questions out loud as Job did. I just hope my enemies.fear.G-d in the same manner. We stiol have to.deal.with this life first and the vast evil and corrupt within it.
Yes. It is also good to remember that 'fear of the Lord' also extends into the definition of great awe.

I don’t think it is a case of fear the Lord as much as …….Use the Lord to build personal wealth

They are a terrible burden to the children of the evil one. :omg:

I don’t think it is a case of fear the Lord as much as …….Use the Lord to build personal wealth
I'm wondering what came first...wealth then the urge to build more wealth by any means possible. Love of money did seem to surpass love of the Lord...

Forum List

Back