Love Letters Are Racist

File under "rich people problems."

But to the extent the practice violates federal housing law, of course it should be curtailed.

It doesn't violate Federal housing law in any way shape or form. It's friggin asinine, as someone quoted in the article illustrated with this example:

“What happens if a potential buyer stops by in person to say hello? Should we lock them up? What does the state do when a potential buyer has FedEx deliver a letter directly to the seller? What about an email or text?”

I have family in the residential real estate industry, and at least in Florida, it is standard practice for sellers to communicate directly with potential buyers, and meet them in person with things like "open house" events. Think about it, this kind of law is completely pointless as the only way to ensure its intended purpose would be to prohibit a person who is selling their home from meeting or speaking to a person offering to buy that home - giving the government de facto control of private property transfers. And that would violate so many of this nation's very founding principles that it's not even worthy of serious discussion.

It doesn't violate Federal housing law in any way shape or form.
It might, and if it does, it does, but it depends.
It's friggin asinine,
Not at all.
as someone quoted in the article illustrated with this example:

I have family in the residential real estate industry, and at least in Florida, it is standard practice for sellers to communicate directly with potential buyers, and meet them in person with things like "open house" events.
So far so good.
Think about it, this kind of law is completely pointless as the only way to ensure its intended purpose would be to prohibit a person who is selling their home from meeting or speaking to a person offering to buy that home - giving the government de facto control of private property transfers.
Utter nonsense.
And that would violate so many of this nation's very founding principles that it's not even worthy of serious discussion.
More nonsense.

What Oregon did was fine, and other states will follow suit.

Huge nothing burger to whine about.

It might, and if it does, it does, but it depends.

Not at all.

So far so good.

Utter nonsense.

More nonsense.

What Oregon did was fine, and other states will follow suit.

Huge nothing burger to whine about.

Well done, you managed to refute absolutely none of the facts I pointed out. Bottom Line this is pointless legislation because of this simple fact: it is EASILY circumvented by directly communicating with the seller, rather than communicating through a realtor (there is no law requiring use of a realtor or prohibiting communication outside of a realtor). If you're going to bother to engage in debate on a discussion board, perhaps you should start by explaining why you believe that fact is inaccurate, rather than posting ad hominems.

Well done, you managed to refute absolutely none of the facts I pointed out. Bottom Line this is pointless legislation because of this simple fact: it is EASILY circumvented by directly communicating with the seller, rather than communicating through a realtor (there is no law requiring use of a realtor or prohibiting communication outside of a realtor). If you're going to bother to engage in debate on a discussion board, perhaps you should start by explaining why you believe that fact is inaccurate, rather than posting ad hominems.
Correct.

Well done,
Thank you.
you managed to refute absolutely none of the facts I pointed out.
You pointed out no relevant facts.
Bottom Line this is pointless legislation
Most legislation is, but this is harmless.
because of this simple fact: it is EASILY circumvented by directly communicating with the seller,
Possibly.
rather than communicating through a realtor (there is no law requiring use of a realtor or prohibiting communication outside of a realtor).
Very good, but you're misusing the term Realtor.
If you're going to bother to engage in debate on a discussion board,
Yes?
perhaps you should start by explaining why you believe that fact is inaccurate,
I never said it was inaccurate; it's simply irrelevant.
rather than posting ad hominems.
You may want to review what that term means.

MinTrut we laugh at the word RACISM/etc--it means nothing now
I can't entirely disagree with that; this is not exactly earth-shattering legislation, but really just empty virtue-signaling.

However, it's pretty mild, and brings state law in accord with federal, so much bigger fish to fry.

The reality is that housing has been a source of racism in the past.
According to the left, everything is racist. Except when they start issuing vaccine passports, not even allowing blacks in grocery stores to buy groceries. When there is a population percentage of around 13% blacks and they refuse entrance to blacks in grocery stores at a rate double that (we'll say 26%) the left don't call that racist. But, when blacks are jailed for crimes at a rate of 30% compared to their population percentage, now that's racist.

According to the left, everything is racist. Except when they start issuing vaccine passports, not even allowing blacks in grocery stores to buy groceries. When there is a population percentage of around 13% blacks and they refuse entrance to blacks in grocery stores at a rate double that (we'll say 26%) the left don't call that racist. But, when blacks are jailed for crimes at a rate of 30% compared to their population percentage, now that's racist.

No, not "according to the left". There are people on the left who are like this. I'm on the left. I once went onto a message board that was very left and they literally called me racist for a lot of things.

It's a certain type of person who wants to control the narrative, or has bought into the narrative so much they believe it's true.

Forum List

Back