Many are cold but few are frozen

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
Those of you who live in the cold frigid lands of, say North Dakota.... Vermont.... Québec....

-- how's your internet service holding up?

I have the most bullshitious ISP on earth. Even at 22 degrees (F) it's dropping out. They keep giving me the song and dance excuse about "it's cold". No shit.

Lady at the local office today tried to tell me "the lines freeze". As if electrons "freeze". Perhaps her experience is in plumbing. :dunno:

One of the techs who came out described how when the temp drops that far (it's been single-digits) the equipment gets more efficient (which makes sense) and then it overloads their amps.

Uh --- get more amps? Or put governors on the ones you have? Funny they didn't mind advising ME to get new equipment (which I did but nothing changed).

So tell me ---- is there no such thing as internet in Manitoba? Is Buffalo web-free in winter? Are there no downloads in Duluth? No surfing in Saskatchewan? No Googling in Green Bay? Because "it's cold"?

:bs1:

Last edited:
I think mine has been down a total of maybe ... say two hours. Maybe three.

Since 2001. :2up:

Rural internet service has been on a down hill slide since Trump / Repubtards took control. They allow the internet companies to shit on unprofitable users. They ended Net Neutrality, so you are totally screwed. Enjoy the dark ages.

Mind if I run an ethernet cable to your house? :deal:

Cox Communication. Their service is unparalleled, at least in this region.

Ah yes, Ray Nagin's guys. What could possibly go wrong.

I'm familiar with 'em, had it in N'awlins. Never much cared for the name -- it sounds like one of aaronleland 's fetishes.

Are you in the great white north though?

I'm familiar with 'em, had it in N'awlins. Never much cared for the name -- it sounds like one of aaronleland 's fetishes.

I live too close to the second biggest bulls-eye on the planet.

Well I must say your English is very good for a Muscovite.

Well I must say your English is very good for a Muscovite.

Good. Keep thinking that.

Those of you who live in the cold frigid lands of, say North Dakota.... Vermont.... Québec....

I have the most bullshitious ISP on earth. Even at 22 degrees (F) it's dropping out. They keep giving me the song and dance excuse about "it's cold". No shit.

Lady at the local office today tried to tell me "the lines freeze". As if electrons "freeze". Perhaps her experience is in plumbing. :dunno:

One of the techs who came out described how when the temp drops that far (it's been single-digits) the equipment gets more efficient (which makes sense) and then it overloads their amps.

Uh --- get more amps? Or put governors on the ones you have? Funny they didn't mind advising ME to get new equipment (which I did but nothing changed).

So tell me ---- is there no such thing as internet in Manitoba? Is Buffalo web-free in winter? Are there no downloads in Duluth? No surfing in Saskatchewan? No Googling in Green Bay? Because "it's cold"?

That's what happens when you still use dial up. :D

So how did you post this? Mobile?

Not sure where you live, but perhaps if it is unusually cold more folks are holed up inside using the internet and thus putting higher demand on the band width.

Not sure where you live, but perhaps if it is unusually cold more folks are holed up inside using the internet and thus putting higher demand on the band width.

It's not that it slows up --- it's that it breaks down totally. That's what was going on. 'Round these parts the cold made little difference as this is the sticks where nobody goes out after dark anyway since there's noplace to go.

It's now been resolved, speeds are zipping along faster than ever, and the day they got it done was also the coldest day of this entire cold snap, so that just proves --- nay, underscores --- that they're full of shit with this "the lines freeze" song and dance. It's like 8 degrees right now and there's no hangup at all.

So how did you post this? Mobile?

Short windows of temporarity when I had internet for upwards of 30 minutes in a row.

That's what happens when you still use dial up. :D

Why you young whippersnapper I'm old enough to actually remember dial-up, by crackies.... when only the big spenders were rollicking along at 28.8....

That was waaaay back. In the old days. (lights pipe) We didn't even have a year for it --- we just called it "the old days". The sun came out on Wednesday, and if you didn't have your ass up out of bed early -- ya missed it. What's more, the sun was uphill both ways, in the snow. Good times.

It's not that it slows up --- it's that it breaks down totally. That's what was going on. 'Round these parts the cold made little difference as this is the sticks where nobody goes out after dark anyway since there's noplace to go.

It's now been resolved, speeds are zipping along faster than ever, and the day they got it done was also the coldest day of this entire cold snap, so that just proves --- nay, underscores --- that they're full of shit with this "the lines freeze" song and dance. It's like 8 degrees right now and there's no hangup at all.

I can only assume Trump is behind it somehow.

I'm still using the Pony Express.........

Back in the day when America was great, we didn’t have or need any stinking internet.

I'm still using the Pony Express.........

Imagine them stammering that they can't deliver your mail "because the pony's legs are cold" :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back