Meet Executive Order 12333: The rule that lets the NSA spy on Americans

More crap legacy ...a disaster for the USA.

and why is it that Obama likes it ?

We don't know that he likes it. The real questions are these: Why did Reagan feel the need to issue the EO in the period prior to Sept 11, 2001? Why didn't George H. W. Bush act to eliminate it?

I understand Bush Jr. and Obama's inaction on this issue in the post 9-11 age. Both understood their duty to protect the nation is job number one; Jr. only after the "My Pet Goat" incident. Thus Obama ought to receive a pass by any but the most ardent Obama hater. For to continue this process is simply a pragmatic choice, most of us would rather take the heat for spying than for not spying and having a second iteration of 9-11.

It's also possible only Reagan understood the full ramification of his EO. I suspect (unlike you, I don't know what's in the mind or heart of others) Obama does not like it, given the history of J. Edgar and the FBI. But only Obama knows for sure.

Meet Executive Order 12333: The Reagan rule that lets the NSA spy on Americans - The Washington Post

Well, well, well, isn't this an interesting bit of history on the Federal Government's ability to spy on us?

Which shouldn't come as 'news' to anyone, of course.

Executive Order 12333 contains no such protections for U.S. persons if the collection occurs outside U.S. borders. Issued by President Ronald Reagan in 1981 to authorize foreign intelligence investigations, 12333 is not a statute and has never been subject to meaningful oversight from Congress or any court. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, has said that the committee has not been able to “sufficiently” oversee activities conducted under 12333.

Consequently the practice is Constitutional, and will remain such until the Supreme Court rules otherwise – which is unlikely.

Because one 'thinks' or 'feels' that the surveillance programs 'might' violate his 4th Amendment rights is not justification to seek relief in Federal court:

The decision, in the case of Clapper v. Amnesty International USA (docket 11-1025), split the Court five to four, with the majority reaching back to a*1923 decision*in a natural gas storage case to find a restrictive rule against allowing federal lawsuits to go forward. That rule, the dissenting Justices complained, had never before been used by the Court to block a case on the theory that it did not present a live “case or controversy.”

Justice Samuel A. Alito, Jr., who wrote the majority opinion, concluded that the challengers’ lawsuit was based upon a “chain of contingencies” that would have to fall into place before their communications might be at risk of eavesdropping. They had not shown, the opinion concluded, that harms to them were “certainly impending” – a rigorous standard for testing the right to sue.

The decision fit into two ongoing patterns established by the modern Court: a narrowing of the scope of the right to sue in federal court as a general proposition, and a stream of decisions insulating highly secret government war programs from judicial review in the regular federal court system.

The Alito opinion expressed a high degree of confidence that a special court, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, will guard against abuses of the new surveillance program that was freed of a number of restraints that existed under a law first passed in 1978.* That surveillance court operates in total secrecy, within the Justice Department building in downtown Washington, and almost never has turned down completely government requests for “foreign intelligence” surveillance.** It has sometimes modified those requests, however.

The Court majority said that the secret court is bound to enforce the Fourth Amendment’s guarantees of privacy, and indicated that the Supreme Court was relying upon it to do so.

Opinion recap: Global wiretap challenge thwarted : SCOTUSblog

And the Court is indeed correct, this is an issue that shouldn't be resolved by the courts, the responsibility rests solely with the American people to address in the political arena.

Executive Order 12333 contains nothing to prevent the NSA from collecting and storing all such communications — content as well as metadata — provided that such collection occurs outside the United States in the course of a lawful foreign intelligence investigation. No warrant or court approval is required, and such collection never need be reported to Congress. None of the reforms that Obama announced earlier this year will affect such collection.

Because the information gathered won't and can't be used pursuant to a criminal prosecution absent a warrant. Again, that one perceives the gathering of information as an 'injury' isn't justified when being subject to fines or imprisonment is not at stake, where the government can't use the gathered information to detain and try a citizen for alleged criminal wrongdoing.

More crap legacy ...a disaster for the USA.

We don't know that he likes it. The real questions are these: Why did Reagan feel the need to issue the EO in the period prior to Sept 11, 2001? Why didn't George H. W. Bush act to eliminate it?

I understand Bush Jr. and Obama's inaction on this issue in the post 9-11 age. Both understood their duty to protect the nation is job number one; Jr. only after the "My Pet Goat" incident. Thus Obama ought to receive a pass by any but the most ardent Obama hater. For to continue this process is simply a pragmatic choice, most of us would rather take the heat for spying than for not spying and having a second iteration of 9-11.

It's also possible only Reagan understood the full ramification of his EO. I suspect (unlike you, I don't know what's in the mind or heart of others) Obama does not like it, given the history of J. Edgar and the FBI. But only Obama knows for sure.

Please detail NSA spying programs on Americans under Reagan, Bush, or anyone else before Obama.
Yeah, you're a lying cocksucker. We all know it.

I see the OP is looking for an atom in a universe. Please show us where reagan, bush, clinton were running an in country spy program. O's is massive.

Obama has done NOTHING but ADD judicial and congressional oversight. Under Boooosh/Cheney, these programs existed without any oversight. Ignorant Pub dupes!

And once again the far left reaches for the sky and still can not grasp the clouds, but they keep trying.

Another far left thread fail!

And once again the far left reaches for the sky and still can not grasp the clouds, but they keep trying.

It was in his own article. Liberals could start by reading their own crap.

It was in his own article. Liberals could start by reading their own crap.

They read it. They just dont understand it.
I have seen this come up consistently: libs reference an article or something but cannot read it and understand what the article actually says. They just see key words and assume it supports whatever batshit position they hold.

Meet Executive Order 12333: The Reagan rule that lets the NSA spy on Americans - The Washington Post

Well, well, well, isn't this an interesting bit of history on the Federal Government's ability to spy on us?

Also, note the OP Attached Unread article Disconnect Syndrome.

The unread article does not say "Reagan let NSA Spy on Americans"

Then again, the OP is our Freddo "I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!" Catcher

Last edited:

Please detail NSA spying programs on Americans under Reagan, Bush, or anyone else before Obama.
Yeah, you're a lying cocksucker. We all know it.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/article/2014/07/09/under-surveillance/

These Americans were spied on under Bush 43.

Forum List

Back